Before the 1850's, the United States had a number of small colleges, most of them dating from colonial days. They were small, church connected institutions whose primary concern was to shape the moral character of their students.
Throughout Europe, institutions of higher learning had developed, bearing the ancient name of university. In German university was concerned primarily with creating and spreading knowledge, not morals. Between mid-century and the end of the 1800's, more than nine thousand young Americans, dissatisfied with their training at home, went to Germany for advanced study. Some of them return to become presidents of venerable colleges-----Harvard, Yale, Columbia---and transform them into modern universities. The new presidents broke all ties with the churches and brought in a new kind of faculty. Professors were hired for their knowledge of a subject, not because they were of the proper faith and had a strong arm for disciplining students. The new principle was that a university was to create knowledge as well as pass it on, and this called for a faculty composed of teacher-scholars. Drilling and learning by rote were replaced by the German method of lecturing, in which the professor's own research was presented in class. Graduate training leading to the Ph.D., an ancient German deGREe signifying the highest level of advanced scholarly attainment, was introduced. With the establishment of the seminar system, graduate student learned to question, analyze, and conduct their own research.
At the same time, the new university GREatly expanded in size and course offerings, breaking completely out of the old, constricted curriculum of mathematics, classics, rhetoric, and music. The president of Harvard pioneered the elective system, by which students were able to choose their own course of study. The notion of major fields of study emerged. The new goal was to make the university relevant to the real pursuits of the world. Paying close heed to the practical needs of society, the new universities trained men and women to work at its tasks, with engineering students being the most characteristic of the new regime. Students were also trained as economists, architects, agriculturalists, social welfare workers, and teachers.
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】AGING AND PRODUCTIV... 阅读:87 2018-09-05
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】childrens numerical... 阅读:79 2018-07-29
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Movie Music 阅读:41 2018-10-09
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】环保与经济发展,环保与经济发展范文 阅读:57 2018-07-17
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Christmas 阅读:37 2018-09-24
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】The origin of Refri... 阅读:35 2018-08-21
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Six Famous Words六字名言 阅读:56 2018-08-06
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】2002年考研英语作文范文 阅读:46 2018-10-14
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】网络成瘾 阅读:81 2018-08-05
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Friends 阅读:56 2018-08-04
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Oil Refining 阅读:31 2018-09-29
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】06考研英语冲刺12大主题经典范文2 阅读:23 2018-09-25
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】The World s Populat... 阅读:47 2018-09-23
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】英语写作热点范文三1 阅读:43 2018-09-12
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】做一个心理健康的现代人 阅读:89 2018-08-16
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Icebergs 阅读:53 2018-07-15
- 【听力-日常生活】英语听力会话27 吊唁的相关英语会话 阅读:165 2017-09-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】六个月内学会任何一门外语的方法 阅读:90 2016-09-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】超长经典转贴汉译英难点解析 阅读:112 2017-04-25
- 【听力-转学到一所大学】Transfer Plans 转学计划 阅读:111 2018-02-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】博尔特里约传绯闻，法国名将竞走拉裤... 阅读:86 2016-11-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】你今生必须要掌握的最伟大的十二个成... 阅读:83 2017-02-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】有点缺点没关系，这样才真实 阅读:69 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】A bargain is a ba... 阅读:170 2017-05-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】会引起歧义的英语短语，体检时你还敢... 阅读:190 2016-09-09
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Piano 阅读:23 2018-10-11
- 【阅读-日常口语】用英语些信函时的常用单词 阅读:405 2016-02-11
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】细说英语单词：“woot” 阅读:72 2016-02-21
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“warm-chair attri... 阅读:110 2016-02-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】用英文说出蔬菜水果的名字 阅读:116 2017-02-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语老师都不知道的“英语真相” 阅读:88 2016-09-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】金融危机谁能因祸得福组图 阅读:79 2017-02-17
National Geographic.the magazine ,has redesigned its website with some new features.Among them,an opportunity for rea...
铁道部近日紧急部署安全生产大检查，从今起开始到9月底，开展两个月的安全生产大检查活动，突出抓好高铁安全。 请看新华社的报道： China's transportation authority on Sunday ordered loc...
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you... 每到过生日的时候都是激动又感慨吧？上周末我去参加了一个生日party，这个生日party是大家秘密为寿星准备的，就是要给她一些惊喜。当然，...
A: It's time to start thinking about marketing our home.B: Won't our realtor do that?A: Yes, of course, but w...
A: Hey Richard, are you busy today?B: I have a couple of errands to run, but I should be done early.A: If you have ti...
今天是2008年3月8日，三八国际妇女节，所以我们今天的每日英语就来学习一下：三八妇女节快乐的英语表达。三八妇女节快乐的英语是：Happy Women's Day！在这里我们祝福所有的女同胞们节日快乐，三八国际妇女节快乐！Happy ...
1. name-dropper 吹嘘或炫耀与某些大人物的交情 Dropper可以解释成随口说出什么的人，而name-dropper说的是那种在言谈中故意...
这个"秘密男朋友"可不是说是你出轨、或是脚踏两只船找的另外一个男朋友，而是指你秘密的同性恋"男友"。到底是怎么回事呢？一起来看一看吧。 1. It's a place where you c...
1A: Can you tell me where the pots and pans are?B: Pots and pans are right over there.A: Oh, thank you.B: Could I int...
1.What is language for?some people seem to think it's for practicing grammar rules and learning lists of words---...
A: My computer won't turn on.B: Did you charge the battery?A: Yes, I charged it all night.B: Have you dropped it ...
Honesty is the best policy.做人诚信为本。 Honesty is the best policy
Olympic weather news outA newspaper that claims to be able to give readers comprehensive Olympic weather information ...
Fish Are Everywhere A: The ocean is so big. A: 海洋如此广阔。 B: You can't s...
Archaeology is a source of history, not just a bumble auxiliary discipline. Archaeological data are historical docume...
1A: I was calling to see if the buyers had accepted my counteroffer.B: Yes, actually they just called back with a cou...