good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. The title of my speech today is "Crossing the Sea" . An English poet by the name of Rudyard Kipling once wrote in this poem "We and They" :
All the people like us are Weand everyone else is TheyWe live over the seaWhile They live over the wayWe eat pork and beef with cow horn-handled knivesThey who gobble their rice off a leafAre horrified out of their lives.
When these lines first caught my eyes, I was shocked--how could two people remain so isolated and ignorant of each other in the past? Today's society, of course, is an entirely different picture. Those people who used to eat with gobble their rice might be as well have taken to fish and chips.
Indeed, just take China as example; Our modern life has been influenced by western style of living in so many ways that it's no longer surprising to see teenagers going crazy about rock-and-roll, whole families dining out at McDonald's and even rather elderly people dressed in Apple Jeans.
However, these are only some expressions of the cultural changes taking place in our society today. What is really going on is a subtle but significant restructuring of the nation's mentality. Just look around.
How many college graduates are ready to compete agGREssively for every job opportunity, whereas not long ago they were asked just to sit idle and wait for whatever was to be assigned to them by the government?
How many young people are now eager to seek for an independent life whereas only two decades ago they would rely totally on their parents to arrange for their future? Ask anyone who participates in today's speech contest. Who has not come with a will to fight and who has not come determined to achieve self-fulfillment in winning the game? And I'm quite certain that if Confucius had lived to see today's China, he would have been horrified to see young lovers kissing each other in public places in an unreserved expression of their passion.
It is therefore evident that we as descendants of an ancient Eastern civilization are already living under strong influence of the western culture. But it is not only in China that we find the incorporation of the two cultures.
Take the United States as an example: During the 1980s, in face of the overwhelming competition from Japan, many American companies such as the Ford began to adopt a teamwork management from their rivals, the essence of which, lay at the very core of Eastern culture.
Take the Chinese acupuncture as another example: This traditional treatment of diseases is finally finding its way to the west and hence the underlying notion that illness is resulted from the imbalance between yin and yang within the body--an idea which would strike any westerner as incredible in the past!
Ladies and Gentlemen, we live in a GREat epoch when the global integration of economy and the information revolution have brought cultures of the world closer than ever before. We live in a particular era when countries, East and west, find themselves in need of readjusting their traditional values. We live, at the same time, at a critical juncture of our evolution because such problems as ethnic conflicts and regional unrest are increasingly posing a threat to the peace and happiness of the whole human race.To cope with such an era and to embrace an even brighter future, we need to learn to live more harmoniously in a world community which is becoming smaller and smaller. My dear fellow students, our command of the English language render sit possible for us to gain an insight into western culture while retaining our own cultural identity.
Therefore, it is our sacred responsibility to promote the cultural exchanges and hence the mutual understanding between China and the rest of the world.
It is my happiest dream that new generation of Chinese will not only grow up drinking Coca cola and watching Hollywood, but also be blessed with the far-reaching benefits of multiple cultures; benefits that our forefathers had never, ever dreamed of.
To end my speech, I would like to quote Rudyard Kipling again:
All the people like us are WeAnd everyone else is TheyBut once you cross over the seaYou will end by looking on WeAs only a sort of They.
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Learn How to Say No... 阅读:247 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】我们只是自然大家庭中普通的一员 We ... 阅读:300 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】My Attitude towards... 阅读:191 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】美国一名大学生的毕业演讲稿 阅读:361 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Responsibility is a... 阅读:43 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】What Is Real Beauty... 阅读:252 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】成功之我见 阅读:58 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】竞选学生会主席的演讲 阅读:88 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】选择的重要性Knowing the C... 阅读:47 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】诚信与责任 阅读:72 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】英特网会越来越流行 阅读:46 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】我重树信心I Regain Confi... 阅读:53 2018-07-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Nature Is Our Mother 阅读:74 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】How to Lose Weight 阅读:64 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】穿越海洋第三届全国英语演讲比赛冠军作品 阅读:65 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】I Am Chinese 阅读:47 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】爱吃西餐吗？这些餐桌上的单词怎能不会！ 阅读:59 2016-10-10
- 【听力-工作】职场英语对话听力1：Choosin... 阅读:147 2016-03-19
- 【听力-租房】Making an Appoint... 阅读:95 2017-12-21
- 【听力-雇佣】Asking for Permis... 阅读:103 2017-04-22
- 【听力-转学到一所大学】Before Transferri... 阅读:91 2018-01-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】不要愁眉苦脸，乐观些！ 阅读:171 2016-08-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】学英语最要命的5个坏习惯 阅读:181 2016-09-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】外语前辈学英语的经历之 许国璋先生 阅读:122 2017-03-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】收藏：不可不知的英国别名 阅读:54 2016-10-24
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】在机场丢失行李怎么办 阅读:121 2016-02-19
- 【听力-日常生活】Talking with Angr... 阅读:49 2017-10-14
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】干细胞疗法 stem cell t... 阅读:90 2016-03-02
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】 Valentin... 阅读:299 2016-11-09
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译23：The Tr... 阅读:458 2016-02-19
- 【听力-健康】Marathon 马拉松赛跑 阅读:166 2017-03-31
- 【听力-社会事件】Hopeless Husband ... 阅读:84 2017-06-30
我买两张10月3号的票。I'd like two tickets for October 3rd, please.对不起，卖完了。Sorry, we're sold out.Do you have any ticket...
有人认为人类活动是环境变坏，对此你怎么认为？Some people believe that the Earth is beingharmed(damaged) by human activity. Others feel that ...
It is said that there was a goodness man went broke his domain. Helived a ha...
中国的动物保护人士正在积极呼吁加快动物保护立法，他们认为目前国内虐待动物的现象日益泛滥，比如滥杀和动物园动物表演。 请看《中国日报》的报道： The first comprehensive law to addressanimal w...
What do you think, Doc?The doctor said to his patient: 'Your health is ge...
Rockefeller Center is a complex of 19 buildings. It is named for a famous New York City business magnate, John D. R...
<一> 原因结果分析iwEiwE3-1-1. 基本原因 --- 分析某事物时, 用此句型说明其基本的或者多方面的原因.iwEiwEe.g:iwEiwE . Why ... ? For one thing.. For ...
Every man worth his salt. 谁也不是白吃饭的。Every man worth his salt
A: Is it a good apartment?B: Yes. It seems fine to me.A: That's good to hear.B: There is only one issue.A: What i...
A: Put your wet clothes into the dryer, please!B: How long should I put them in for?A: Put them on low heat for thirt...
The self-portrait is nothing new. Painters and photographers have always us...
Some US newspapers are accusing Republicans and Democrats of playing “gotcha politics” when they should b...