good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. The title of my speech today is "Crossing the Sea" . An English poet by the name of Rudyard Kipling once wrote in this poem "We and They" :
All the people like us are Weand everyone else is TheyWe live over the seaWhile They live over the wayWe eat pork and beef with cow horn-handled knivesThey who gobble their rice off a leafAre horrified out of their lives.
When these lines first caught my eyes, I was shocked--how could two people remain so isolated and ignorant of each other in the past? Today's society, of course, is an entirely different picture. Those people who used to eat with gobble their rice might be as well have taken to fish and chips.
Indeed, just take China as example; Our modern life has been influenced by western style of living in so many ways that it's no longer surprising to see teenagers going crazy about rock-and-roll, whole families dining out at McDonald's and even rather elderly people dressed in Apple Jeans.
However, these are only some expressions of the cultural changes taking place in our society today. What is really going on is a subtle but significant restructuring of the nation's mentality. Just look around.
How many college graduates are ready to compete agGREssively for every job opportunity, whereas not long ago they were asked just to sit idle and wait for whatever was to be assigned to them by the government?
How many young people are now eager to seek for an independent life whereas only two decades ago they would rely totally on their parents to arrange for their future? Ask anyone who participates in today's speech contest. Who has not come with a will to fight and who has not come determined to achieve self-fulfillment in winning the game? And I'm quite certain that if Confucius had lived to see today's China, he would have been horrified to see young lovers kissing each other in public places in an unreserved expression of their passion.
It is therefore evident that we as descendants of an ancient Eastern civilization are already living under strong influence of the western culture. But it is not only in China that we find the incorporation of the two cultures.
Take the United States as an example: During the 1980s, in face of the overwhelming competition from Japan, many American companies such as the Ford began to adopt a teamwork management from their rivals, the essence of which, lay at the very core of Eastern culture.
Take the Chinese acupuncture as another example: This traditional treatment of diseases is finally finding its way to the west and hence the underlying notion that illness is resulted from the imbalance between yin and yang within the body--an idea which would strike any westerner as incredible in the past!
Ladies and Gentlemen, we live in a GREat epoch when the global integration of economy and the information revolution have brought cultures of the world closer than ever before. We live in a particular era when countries, East and west, find themselves in need of readjusting their traditional values. We live, at the same time, at a critical juncture of our evolution because such problems as ethnic conflicts and regional unrest are increasingly posing a threat to the peace and happiness of the whole human race.To cope with such an era and to embrace an even brighter future, we need to learn to live more harmoniously in a world community which is becoming smaller and smaller. My dear fellow students, our command of the English language render sit possible for us to gain an insight into western culture while retaining our own cultural identity.
Therefore, it is our sacred responsibility to promote the cultural exchanges and hence the mutual understanding between China and the rest of the world.
It is my happiest dream that new generation of Chinese will not only grow up drinking Coca cola and watching Hollywood, but also be blessed with the far-reaching benefits of multiple cultures; benefits that our forefathers had never, ever dreamed of.
To end my speech, I would like to quote Rudyard Kipling again:
All the people like us are WeAnd everyone else is TheyBut once you cross over the seaYou will end by looking on WeAs only a sort of They.
- 【阅读-英语演讲】穿越海洋第三届全国英语演讲比赛冠军作品 阅读:132 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】What Is Real Beauty... 阅读:317 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】I Am Chinese 阅读:82 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】美国一名大学生的毕业演讲稿 阅读:415 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】竞选学生会主席的演讲 阅读:184 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】My Attitude towards... 阅读:263 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Nature Is Our Mother 阅读:146 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】选择的重要性Knowing the C... 阅读:115 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】成功之我见 阅读:142 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Responsibility is a... 阅读:82 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Learn How to Say No... 阅读:308 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】英特网会越来越流行 阅读:131 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Enjoy Yourself Whil... 阅读:278 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】我重树信心I Regain Confi... 阅读:101 2018-07-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】How to Sell Yourself 阅读:154 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】How to Lose Weight 阅读:139 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】你知道什么是“六度分隔理论”吗？ 阅读:82 2016-02-23
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“喝两杯”英语怎么说 阅读:140 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】“我挺你”的十种英语表达 阅读:65 2016-06-14
- 【听力-坐公交车】Where to Get Off ... 阅读:71 2017-10-08
- 【阅读-英语四级作文】性格与交朋友 阅读:48 2018-11-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】这些萌萌哒英语习语，你也能快速掌握 阅读:97 2016-10-28
- 【听力-开车】Talking to the Tr... 阅读:227 2017-06-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】一个美国留学生的忠告 阅读:256 2017-04-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】常用的表情符号用英语怎么表达？ 阅读:546 2016-11-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】励志英文：内心看不见的太阳 阅读:112 2016-10-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何猜测句子中生词的意思 阅读:120 2018-04-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】十部电影演绎出爱情的真相，值得珍藏 阅读:160 2016-10-25
- 【阅读-英语四级作文】谁应该对我们的老人们负责任-Who... 阅读:11 2019-02-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】学霸演讲：搜狗英文，搜索全世界 阅读:73 2016-10-20
- 【听力-转学到一所大学】Deciding not to T... 阅读:192 2018-02-01
- 【听力-选举】Asking Questions ... 阅读:158 2017-04-01
要拒绝别人光是说 No 是不够的，还得要有充分的理由才行，特别是那些盛情难却的邀请、动用一大堆关系的请求。此外，要很客气又很礼貌地拒绝别人也是一门学问。例如别人约你出去，你要如何婉拒他，让人家下次还会愿意再找你呢? 如果别人邀请我一起...
1.人肉搜索 flesh search 2.浪女 dillydally girl 3.公司政治 company politics 4.剩女 3S l...
It gives me GREat pleasure to welcome you to our university. Thank you very much for visiting our university in spit...
场景：很高兴认识你！It was good to meet you!第一次见面可以说： 见到你很高兴！ It was good to meet...
A: I was going to be a doctor.B: What happened to your plans? A: I got a D in college chemistry. B: Well, a D is bett...
Last summer my family and I went to the beach for a 1)camping trip. When we arrived at the 2)campground, all my cousi...
words suggestion idea could should might possible possibility chance reply assist demand invite invitation apply appl...
1A: I am having some big problems on this tour.B: What seems to be the problem? We are here to help you.A: This tour ...
Dear Sir or Madam:With reference to your letter on Dec.23rd,i'd like to ,first of all,convey my deepest appreciation ...
33条攻克英语的致胜法则！33个英语成功的良好习惯！33段漂亮流畅的英文段落！每天脱口而出一条法则！33天获得英语的巨大成功！You cannot improve the past but you can improve the fu...
An elderly carpenter was ready to retire.He told his employer-contractor of ...
A: Good morning. Welcome to ABC Technologies.B: Hi, good morning.A: How can I help you?B: I have an appointment with ...
1. As luck would have it, he was caught by the teacher again. 不幸的是，他又一次被老师逮个...
1. class: (风度、举止等)漂亮、优雅 She's got real class. 她很有气质。 2. elegance: (举止)...
A: When are you going to marry?B: Where is this coming from?A: You have been dating Patricia for five years already.B...