Beijing nears fulfillment of preparation
Beijing nears fulfillment of seven years' work in Olympics
BEIJING - When He Zhenliang, a then member of the International Olympic Committee's Executive Board, presented the last statement of the Beijing's 2008 bid on behalf of China in Moscow on July 13, 2001, he and the Chinese people were already determined to live up to their words.
Zhu Rongjing (R) and Zhu Youyi paste a paper-cut on a window at their home, an "Olympic Homestay" household, in Shishahai, downtown Beijing, July 11, 2008. [Xinhua]
"Choosing Beijing as the host city for the Olympics, you will bring the first ever Games in Olympic history to a nation containing one-fifth of the world's population, and 1.3 billion Chinese people will dedicate their efforts to the Olympic Movement," said He.
"If you award the chance of hosting the Olympics to Beijing, I can assure you that seven years later you will be proud of the decision you make today."
Seven years after He made the promise, the Beijing organizers have turned the bid into reality.
Unlike that of previous Olympics, Beijing's prep work has kept to plan and some stadiums and infrastructure have even been finished ahead of schedule.
The city has spent US$40 billion on infrastructure, including a new airport terminal and subway lines, as well as US$2.1 billion to cover the cost of running the Games.
The torch relay, now proGREssing on Chinese soil, is the longest ever in the Olympic history, lasting 130 days and covering 137,000 kilometers (85,000 miles) worldwide.
The holy flame was also carried to the top of the Mt. Qomolangma for the first time in history, a grand ascent hailed by the whole world as heroism.
Even after the massive quake rocked southwest China's Sichuan province on May 12 and already claimed around 70,000 lives, the organizers quickly picked up themselves from mourning and continued the fine-tuning on the Games.
"The Chinese people have pledged to the world to host a successful Olympic Games. To honor those killed in the earthquake, my colleagues and I feel obliged to make the Beijing Olympics a GREat success," said Wang Pingjiu, a staff member of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG).
Beijing subway passengers have been receiving security checks starting from June 29 as China beefs up security.
National-level anti-terrorist drills were launched to prepare the security forces against chemical attacks, hijacking and other possible contingencies. Sniffer dogs will be brought into the capital to help detect explosives.
Beginning from June, the country's postal service has suspended mailing parcels containing liquids until October 31, following a previous liquid ban introduced in April on carry-on baggage in domestic flights.
Beijing nears fulfillment of preparation
- 【阅读-每日英语】英国人这样说，美国人那样说，你喜欢哪种？ 阅读:228 2016-10-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】外企面试必备的面试题目 阅读:182 2017-05-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】一周七天的英文说法来历 阅读:244 2016-09-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】美国家庭成员之间如何称呼? 阅读:175 2016-06-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】5个难倒一般人的英语习语 阅读:80 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】礼物不能这样送，你知道吗？ 阅读:102 2016-10-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】玩牌就要找这么萌的牌友 阅读:191 2016-11-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】最亲民实用的英语学习方法 阅读:256 2016-08-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语新题型答题技能训练技巧 阅读:91 2017-04-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】让英语中“亲爱的”说的更甜蜜 阅读:115 2016-06-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】告诉你什么是永远 阅读:156 2016-10-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读FAITHHILL 阅读:266 2017-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】特别容易翻错的几个句子，你可不要中招噢！ 阅读:85 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】这些五星级的英语句子，一个都不要漏掉噢！ 阅读:170 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】2005年英语六级考试作文范文 阅读:88 2017-12-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】A bargain is a bargain 阅读:281 2017-05-28
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】电信 Telecommuting 阅读:72 2018-09-21
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】美语活起来（1） 阅读:97 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语四级作文】关于2008奥运的英语作文 阅读:23 2019-02-23
- 【听力-选举】Absentee Ballot 缺席票 阅读:145 2017-04-07
- 【听力-日常生活】A Lost Button 丢失的纽扣 阅读:94 2016-12-24
- 【听力-雇佣】Talking on the Ph... 阅读:182 2017-09-04
- 【听力-家庭事务】Having a Brother ... 阅读:155 2017-05-29
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】The U.S. ... 阅读:136 2016-07-16
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】螺旋藻厂商面临信任危机 阅读:237 2016-03-03
- 【听力-雇佣】Giving an Excuse ... 阅读:143 2017-08-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】还在为英语写作发愁？这里有两个万能... 阅读:98 2016-09-29
- 【听力-旅行】Going through the... 阅读:83 2017-04-27
- 【听力-社交活动】Going to the Beac... 阅读:124 2018-01-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】学好英语没有捷径重在持之以恒！ 阅读:123 2017-04-08
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“生活日志”在英语里怎么说 阅读:219 2016-02-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】你不认识这些单词就落伍了！ 阅读:283 2016-08-31
I Don’t Want to Walk HomeTom is a very old man. After dinner, he likes walkin...
A: The test drive went well. How much are you asking for?B: I am selling the car for $10,000.A: Oh, wow. That's a...
Directions: 1．新世纪科技发展的前景如何？ 2．新的科学技术会给社会带来什么好处？ 3．新的科学技术会给社会带来什么问题？ 4. 你怎样对待新世纪的挑战？ Looking Forward to the Twenty-fi...
1A: Is this our bus stop?B: I think this is it. Get off.A: Dude, where are we at?B: I have no idea.A: I thought this ...
The Importance of Education 教育的重要性 The prosperity of a nation depends on the development of education. Any developmen...
A: I hate brushing my teeth.B: It's such a chore.A: Brush, brush. Spit, spit.B: What did they do in the old days?...
1A: Can you help me pick out a gift for my niece?B: Most normal little girls go wild over Barbie dolls.A: That sounds...
A: Do you know which bus will get me from Maywood to Cal State LA?B: Yes, I do. You'll need to take two buses.A: ...
学了那么多英语，有机会能去外面走走当然最好了。说到英语世界，纽约这个大城市可是吸引了不少人的目光。从Broadway到Times Square再到Central Park，在纽约有很多可以看可以做的。但在你到这个不眠之城之前，先花一点...
2．诚实利人利己，做人应该诚实。It Pays to Be Honest Although honesty is believed to be a virtue, there are still dishonest people...
最近上映的 魔兽 成为了一部现象级的电影 以至于 最近如果你去电影院 很有可能会看到穿成下面这样的人 ▼ 特别是男生 有些过去一年未必进电影...
Icebergs are among nature's most spectacular creations, and yet most people have never seen one. A vague air of myste...
A: I'm making the food for the party tomorrow.B: I heard you are a fantastic cook!A: Thank you! I do my best.B: D...
1. 一句话的第一个单词首字母要大写。 如：She is my sister.2. 表示称呼或职务的词首字母大写，人名要大写。 如：Ms. Wang ...
A: I have a few questions regarding the neighborhood.B: Alright, let's hear them.A: Does the neighborhood look go...