伊索寓言·61 The Monkey and the Cat 猴子和猫
Once upon a time a Cat and a Monkey lived as pets in the same house. They were great friends and were constantly in all sorts of mischief together. What they seemed to think of more than anything else was to get something to eat, and it did not matter much to them how they got it.
One day they were sitting by the fire, watching some chestnuts roasting on the hearth. How to get them was the question.
"I would gladly get them," said the cunning Monkey, "but you are much more skillful at such things than I am. Pull them out and I'll divide them between us."
Pussy stretched out her paw very carefully, pushed aside some of the cinders, and drew back her paw very quickly. Then she tried it again, this time pulling a chestnut half out of the fire. A third time and she drew out the chestnut. This performance she went through several times, each time singeing her paw severely. As fast as she pulled the chestnuts out of the fire, the Monkey ate them up.
Now the master came in, and away scampered the rascals, Mistress Cat with a burnt paw and no chestnuts. From that time on, they say, she contented herself with mice and rats and had little to do with Sir Monkey.
The flatterer seeks some benefit at your expense.
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言·73 The Fox and... 阅读:365 2016-07-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译23：The Trav... 阅读:539 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译7：The Eagle... 阅读:362 2016-02-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译40：The Monk... 阅读:486 2016-03-10
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译33：The Ass ... 阅读:243 2016-03-10
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译1：The Wolf ... 阅读:644 2016-02-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译36：The Ass ... 阅读:447 2016-03-10
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译8：The Boy a... 阅读:305 2016-02-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言·67 The Heron 鹭鸶 阅读:388 2016-07-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言·64 The Rabbit,... 阅读:357 2016-07-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译55：The Fox ... 阅读:305 2016-03-10
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译25：The Frog... 阅读:713 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言·70 The Wolf an... 阅读:526 2016-07-15
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译22：The Shee... 阅读:471 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言原创翻译31：The Crow... 阅读:385 2016-03-10
- 【阅读-伊索寓言】伊索寓言·79 The Two Pot... 阅读:618 2016-07-15
- 【听力-雇佣】Rearranging an Ap... 阅读:195 2017-08-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】一组漫画告诉你，纽约和旧金山有多不同！ 阅读:312 2016-10-31
- 【听力-食物】Ordering Food at ... 阅读:232 2017-08-01
- 【听力-坐公交车】Talking on the Bu... 阅读:109 2017-09-23
- 【听力-在银行】Reporting Wrong C... 阅读:67 2017-08-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】Fire and water ha... 阅读:261 2017-06-05
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】租房：“租金”英语怎么说 阅读:176 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】迈克尔?杰克逊的纪念演唱会“tri... 阅读:138 2016-02-29
- 【听力-约会】Dating in America... 阅读:93 2017-07-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】怎样才能听懂美国之音？ 阅读:97 2017-03-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读HighFlight 阅读:213 2017-10-30
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】通过词根记单词38:se-&quo... 阅读:207 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语四级作文】理科和工科学生学英语目的 阅读:16 2019-03-12
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】Free Summ... 阅读:730 2016-12-01
- 【阅读-英语四级作文】Air pollution-空气污... 阅读:55 2018-10-24
- 【听力-开车】To Get a Ride 搭便车 阅读:281 2017-01-18
A: Dad, I got a parking ticket at school.B: Well, you should pay it off as soon as possible.A: Where can I pay it off...
Day falls on every November 11th, and as the name indicates, this relatively...
A: I get so hungry during the day!B: That's not good; you should eat more.A: Maybe I'll start taking snacks t...
Years is not a blank stop and wait for your own pace, people are afraid of how the passage of time, but the passage o...
A: I'm thinking of adding another class.B: Another one? You already have 7 classes.A: I know, but I really want t...
01A beautiful rose for a beautiful friend一支美丽的玫瑰献给一位美丽的朋友 02Friends know when...
Schooling and Education It is commonly believed in United States that school is where people go to get an education. ...
In computing, Smishing is a form of criminal activity using social engineering techniques similar to phishing. The na...
1A: Have the owners come up with a counter-offer to my offer to buy theirhome yet?B: The owners have counter-offered ...
当你将突发事故现场的见闻发到微博上的时候，或许你还没意识到，你正在扮演一个公民记者的角色，而你所发布的微博就是citizen journalism（公民新闻）。 请看《中国日报》的报道： The words tweeted by a ...
Strawberries, cherries and the angels' kissing springMy summer wine is really made from all these thingsI walked in t...
A: Hi! Can I get a pizza slice, please?B: Sure, is there anything else you'd like?A: I'll also take that bag ...
Ladies and Gentlemen: First of all, thanks for give me an opportunity to speck about myself at this special occasion ...