Before the 1850's, the United States had a number of small colleges, most of them dating from colonial days. They were small, church connected institutions whose primary concern was to shape the moral character of their students.
Throughout Europe, institutions of higher learning had developed, bearing the ancient name of university. In German university was concerned primarily with creating and spreading knowledge, not morals. Between mid-century and the end of the 1800's, more than nine thousand young Americans, dissatisfied with their training at home, went to Germany for advanced study. Some of them return to become presidents of venerable colleges-----Harvard, Yale, Columbia---and transform them into modern universities. The new presidents broke all ties with the churches and brought in a new kind of faculty. Professors were hired for their knowledge of a subject, not because they were of the proper faith and had a strong arm for disciplining students. The new principle was that a university was to create knowledge as well as pass it on, and this called for a faculty composed of teacher-scholars. Drilling and learning by rote were replaced by the German method of lecturing, in which the professor's own research was presented in class. Graduate training leading to the Ph.D., an ancient German deGREe signifying the highest level of advanced scholarly attainment, was introduced. With the establishment of the seminar system, graduate student learned to question, analyze, and conduct their own research.
At the same time, the new university GREatly expanded in size and course offerings, breaking completely out of the old, constricted curriculum of mathematics, classics, rhetoric, and music. The president of Harvard pioneered the elective system, by which students were able to choose their own course of study. The notion of major fields of study emerged. The new goal was to make the university relevant to the real pursuits of the world. Paying close heed to the practical needs of society, the new universities trained men and women to work at its tasks, with engineering students being the most characteristic of the new regime. Students were also trained as economists, architects, agriculturalists, social welfare workers, and teachers.
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Christmas 阅读:19 2018-09-24
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】The 阅读:36 2018-07-28
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】财富带来幸福,财富带来幸福范文 阅读:15 2018-09-20
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Raising Oysters 阅读:134 2018-08-17
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Piano 阅读:4 2018-10-11
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】NOTICE,NOTICE范文 阅读:44 2018-08-15
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】2003年考研胡敏预测英语范文14篇A 阅读:34 2018-08-13
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Six Famous Words六字名言 阅读:45 2018-08-06
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Cohesion-tension Th... 阅读:29 2018-08-18
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Plankton浮游生物 阅读:25 2018-07-31
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】2008年考研英语作文黄金预测范文私人信函 阅读:22 2018-09-19
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】How influentital th... 阅读:37 2018-08-14
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】雇主寻求的品质 阅读:36 2018-08-28
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Friends 阅读:40 2018-08-04
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】On Punctuality论准时 阅读:23 2018-09-12
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】A Brief Analysis of... 阅读:8 2018-08-24
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语中“chalk and che... 阅读:81 2016-02-20
- 【听力-购物】After Trying on t... 阅读:48 2017-10-04
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】 The Cali... 阅读:146 2017-02-05
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语单词吃老本的故事 阅读:72 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】“我的妈呀”英文说法真不少！ 阅读:151 2016-10-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】老外教你杀手锏说话节奏 阅读:165 2017-04-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读PLAYINGGAME... 阅读:66 2017-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】十妙招速增英语词汇量 阅读:82 2017-02-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语学习方法有效提高英语阅读能力 阅读:56 2018-03-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】爱情来了，它很美~ 阅读:157 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】A mothers love ne... 阅读:82 2017-06-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】神六问题 阅读:125 2018-01-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】Thanks for the me... 阅读:37 2018-06-22
- 【听力-旅行】Sightseeing 观光、游览 阅读:193 2017-03-19
- 【听力-约会】Asking for a Date... 阅读:72 2017-07-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】Rob Peter to pay ... 阅读:67 2017-08-29
又是一个暑假结束了。这几天是学生们返校开学的高峰时期，车票特紧张。即使临时加开了那么多趟火车，仍然是人满为患、一票难求。这次我们就来看看买火车票的常用表达，有志出国的朋友不妨记下来哦！ A-passenger B-booking cl...
Everyday English:Flood discharge delayed to June 5At 2 pm on Monday, the water level of the Tangjiashan barrier lake ...
A: Can you help me get up the stairs, please?B: Of course. What happened to your leg?A: I broke it a week ago.B: How ...
求职信1 结构要点: 求职信是申请具体职位的信件，包括下列三个部分： 1． 说明应聘职位； 2． 介绍自身情况； 3． 请求回复并表示感谢。directions5 Write a letter in about 100 w...
A: I work for the Big City Newspaper, and I'm doing a story on Election Day.B: I read that paper all the time!A: ...
问路我们学过不少，那给人指路要怎么说？现在来中国观光旅游的老外这么多，学学怎么给老外指路还是必要的。下面这些指路用语你都会了吗？不会可要赶快记下来哦！ 1. Take the one-way street. 走这条单行道。 One-w...
A: Let’s go jogging.B: That’s a good idea.A: I bought some new shoes.B: Are they comfortable?A: They’re very comforta...
Speaking English is not only about using proper grammar. To use English effec...
Smooth water runs deep大智若愚 Smooth water runs deep
A: What are those wipes for?B: You use them to wipe the handle of the shopping cart.A: That's a great idea.B: Yes...
A: You sure bought a lot of Christmas lights!你确定你买了很多圣诞灯！B: I want the house to be shining this Christmas!这个圣诞节我希望屋子变...
A: Excuse me, bus driver. I have a question.B: What do you need to know?A: I don't recognize where I'm going....
1. I'm sorry to call you so late. 对不起这么晚打电话来。 2. I hope I didn't ca...