good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. The title of my speech today is "Crossing the Sea" . An English poet by the name of Rudyard Kipling once wrote in this poem "We and They" :
All the people like us are Weand everyone else is TheyWe live over the seaWhile They live over the wayWe eat pork and beef with cow horn-handled knivesThey who gobble their rice off a leafAre horrified out of their lives.
When these lines first caught my eyes, I was shocked--how could two people remain so isolated and ignorant of each other in the past? Today's society, of course, is an entirely different picture. Those people who used to eat with gobble their rice might be as well have taken to fish and chips.
Indeed, just take China as example; Our modern life has been influenced by western style of living in so many ways that it's no longer surprising to see teenagers going crazy about rock-and-roll, whole families dining out at McDonald's and even rather elderly people dressed in Apple Jeans.
However, these are only some expressions of the cultural changes taking place in our society today. What is really going on is a subtle but significant restructuring of the nation's mentality. Just look around.
How many college graduates are ready to compete agGREssively for every job opportunity, whereas not long ago they were asked just to sit idle and wait for whatever was to be assigned to them by the government?
How many young people are now eager to seek for an independent life whereas only two decades ago they would rely totally on their parents to arrange for their future? Ask anyone who participates in today's speech contest. Who has not come with a will to fight and who has not come determined to achieve self-fulfillment in winning the game? And I'm quite certain that if Confucius had lived to see today's China, he would have been horrified to see young lovers kissing each other in public places in an unreserved expression of their passion.
It is therefore evident that we as descendants of an ancient Eastern civilization are already living under strong influence of the western culture. But it is not only in China that we find the incorporation of the two cultures.
Take the United States as an example: During the 1980s, in face of the overwhelming competition from Japan, many American companies such as the Ford began to adopt a teamwork management from their rivals, the essence of which, lay at the very core of Eastern culture.
Take the Chinese acupuncture as another example: This traditional treatment of diseases is finally finding its way to the west and hence the underlying notion that illness is resulted from the imbalance between yin and yang within the body--an idea which would strike any westerner as incredible in the past!
Ladies and Gentlemen, we live in a GREat epoch when the global integration of economy and the information revolution have brought cultures of the world closer than ever before. We live in a particular era when countries, East and west, find themselves in need of readjusting their traditional values. We live, at the same time, at a critical juncture of our evolution because such problems as ethnic conflicts and regional unrest are increasingly posing a threat to the peace and happiness of the whole human race.To cope with such an era and to embrace an even brighter future, we need to learn to live more harmoniously in a world community which is becoming smaller and smaller. My dear fellow students, our command of the English language render sit possible for us to gain an insight into western culture while retaining our own cultural identity.
Therefore, it is our sacred responsibility to promote the cultural exchanges and hence the mutual understanding between China and the rest of the world.
It is my happiest dream that new generation of Chinese will not only grow up drinking Coca cola and watching Hollywood, but also be blessed with the far-reaching benefits of multiple cultures; benefits that our forefathers had never, ever dreamed of.
To end my speech, I would like to quote Rudyard Kipling again:
All the people like us are WeAnd everyone else is TheyBut once you cross over the seaYou will end by looking on WeAs only a sort of They.
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Learn How to Say No... 阅读:224 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】珍爱生命之水Cherish the w... 阅读:26 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】I Am Chinese 阅读:30 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】诚信与责任 阅读:50 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】我们只是自然大家庭中普通的一员 We ... 阅读:263 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】英特网会越来越流行 阅读:18 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】我重树信心I Regain Confi... 阅读:37 2018-07-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】My Attitude towards... 阅读:176 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Nature Is Our Mother 阅读:61 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】选择的重要性Knowing the C... 阅读:28 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】What Is Real Beauty... 阅读:226 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】成功之我见 阅读:38 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Enjoy Yourself Whil... 阅读:162 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】美国一名大学生的毕业演讲稿 阅读:338 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】竞选学生会主席的演讲 阅读:61 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】How to Lose Weight 阅读:50 2018-07-10
- 【听力-日常生活】英语听力会话26 如何用英语表示“祝福” 阅读:126 2017-09-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】送你11朵玫瑰：10朵真的，1朵假的 阅读:52 2016-10-19
- 【听力-选举】Happy with the Re... 阅读:28 2016-10-24
- 【听力-健康】Runnig a Fever 发烧 阅读:60 2017-04-11
- 【听力-图书馆】People at the Pri... 阅读:37 2018-03-17
- 【阅读-考研英语作文】Two Attitudes Tow... 阅读:21 2018-08-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】办公室里的抱怨学会怎样用英语发牢骚 阅读:105 2017-04-07
- 【听力-日常生活】You Can Have Some... 阅读:44 2016-10-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】Do nothing by halves 阅读:218 2017-06-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】外教谈如何学医学英语 阅读:91 2017-03-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读Principlesa... 阅读:72 2017-11-13
- 【听力-日常生活】英语听力会话4 恋爱和结婚 阅读:241 2017-08-12
- 【听力-娱乐】Record it for Me ... 阅读:86 2017-01-25
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语单词桥牌游戏的故事 阅读:35 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】热词：高考“生源” student... 阅读:47 2016-02-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】拯救动物Saving animals 阅读:54 2017-12-15
A: I hate to fly.B: Because of all the security?A: No, because it hurts my ears.B: What do you mean?A: Every time we ...
今天，我们就来说说英语里对于“乱七八糟”的各种表达。1. The apartment is in a mess after the party.聚会完了以...
Envy has no holidays.忌妒之人无宁日。Envy has no holidays
1.Do you have a family? 正确译文：你有孩子吗? 2.It’s a good father that knows his so...
May it be an evening starShines down upon youMay it be when darkness fallsYour heart will be trueYou walk a lonely ro...
A hungry Wolf spied a Goat browsing at the top of a steep cliff where he could not possibly get at her. 一只饥饿的狼发现一只山羊在...
Everyday English:The Sun and the MoonOne day,a lady talked with her friend saying that the sun is the most beautiful ...
Harm set, harm get.害人害己。Harm set, harm get
One in five US workers regularly attends after-work drinks with co-workers. O...
Aries 白羊(Mar. 21- Apr. 20)Yours is the most impatient sign of all, Aries, so ...
A: You know you can't park here, right?B: Listen, I had to talk to my friend really quickly, and there was no par...
你家有宠物吗？如果你养的是狗狗，你有没有训练它要“站有站相、坐有坐相”呢？爱学英语的你，想没想过可以和狗狗一起练习口语呢？ 今天小编就来告诉你一些常见的训练狗的口令： Stay/Sit! 坐着！ Beg! ...
Love comes to those who still love although they have been hurt before.爱情属于那些...