good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. The title of my speech today is "Crossing the Sea" . An English poet by the name of Rudyard Kipling once wrote in this poem "We and They" :
All the people like us are Weand everyone else is TheyWe live over the seaWhile They live over the wayWe eat pork and beef with cow horn-handled knivesThey who gobble their rice off a leafAre horrified out of their lives.
When these lines first caught my eyes, I was shocked--how could two people remain so isolated and ignorant of each other in the past? Today's society, of course, is an entirely different picture. Those people who used to eat with gobble their rice might be as well have taken to fish and chips.
Indeed, just take China as example; Our modern life has been influenced by western style of living in so many ways that it's no longer surprising to see teenagers going crazy about rock-and-roll, whole families dining out at McDonald's and even rather elderly people dressed in Apple Jeans.
However, these are only some expressions of the cultural changes taking place in our society today. What is really going on is a subtle but significant restructuring of the nation's mentality. Just look around.
How many college graduates are ready to compete agGREssively for every job opportunity, whereas not long ago they were asked just to sit idle and wait for whatever was to be assigned to them by the government?
How many young people are now eager to seek for an independent life whereas only two decades ago they would rely totally on their parents to arrange for their future? Ask anyone who participates in today's speech contest. Who has not come with a will to fight and who has not come determined to achieve self-fulfillment in winning the game? And I'm quite certain that if Confucius had lived to see today's China, he would have been horrified to see young lovers kissing each other in public places in an unreserved expression of their passion.
It is therefore evident that we as descendants of an ancient Eastern civilization are already living under strong influence of the western culture. But it is not only in China that we find the incorporation of the two cultures.
Take the United States as an example: During the 1980s, in face of the overwhelming competition from Japan, many American companies such as the Ford began to adopt a teamwork management from their rivals, the essence of which, lay at the very core of Eastern culture.
Take the Chinese acupuncture as another example: This traditional treatment of diseases is finally finding its way to the west and hence the underlying notion that illness is resulted from the imbalance between yin and yang within the body--an idea which would strike any westerner as incredible in the past!
Ladies and Gentlemen, we live in a GREat epoch when the global integration of economy and the information revolution have brought cultures of the world closer than ever before. We live in a particular era when countries, East and west, find themselves in need of readjusting their traditional values. We live, at the same time, at a critical juncture of our evolution because such problems as ethnic conflicts and regional unrest are increasingly posing a threat to the peace and happiness of the whole human race.To cope with such an era and to embrace an even brighter future, we need to learn to live more harmoniously in a world community which is becoming smaller and smaller. My dear fellow students, our command of the English language render sit possible for us to gain an insight into western culture while retaining our own cultural identity.
Therefore, it is our sacred responsibility to promote the cultural exchanges and hence the mutual understanding between China and the rest of the world.
It is my happiest dream that new generation of Chinese will not only grow up drinking Coca cola and watching Hollywood, but also be blessed with the far-reaching benefits of multiple cultures; benefits that our forefathers had never, ever dreamed of.
To end my speech, I would like to quote Rudyard Kipling again:
All the people like us are WeAnd everyone else is TheyBut once you cross over the seaYou will end by looking on WeAs only a sort of They.
- 【阅读-英语演讲】How to Lose Weight 阅读:19 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Learn How to Say No... 阅读:192 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】珍爱生命之水Cherish the w... 阅读:10 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】How to Sell Yourself 阅读:15 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】成功之我见 阅读:16 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Responsibility is a... 阅读:6 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】诚信与责任 阅读:16 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】穿越海洋第三届全国英语演讲比赛冠军作品 阅读:18 2018-07-08
- 【阅读-英语演讲】美国一名大学生的毕业演讲稿 阅读:298 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】What Is Real Beauty... 阅读:181 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-英语演讲】I Am Chinese 阅读:6 2018-07-10
- 【阅读-英语演讲】我重树信心I Regain Confi... 阅读:10 2018-07-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】Enjoy Yourself Whil... 阅读:127 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-英语演讲】竞选学生会主席的演讲 阅读:22 2018-07-07
- 【阅读-英语演讲】选择的重要性Knowing the C... 阅读:7 2018-07-09
- 【阅读-英语演讲】My Attitude towards... 阅读:129 2017-02-12
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】Museum Mi... 阅读:78 2017-02-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】装逼利器：关于星巴克，你应该知道的... 阅读:175 2016-11-15
- 【听力-旅行】Dropping Off at t... 阅读:71 2017-03-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】The carpenter's h... 阅读:86 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】抖森朗读：当你年老时 阅读:74 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】打电话时会用到的英语口语，都在这里了！ 阅读:41 2016-10-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】这些善意的谎言，你说过吗？ 阅读:148 2016-08-07
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】热点英语单词：义务兵役 阅读:69 2016-02-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】瞬间让你变得内涵十足的英语句子 阅读:77 2016-10-14
- 【听力-买车】Conversation: 5. ... 阅读:37 2017-07-05
- 【听力-日常生活】A Snowman 堆雪人 阅读:46 2016-10-23
- 【听力-约会】Blue Eyes 蓝眼睛 阅读:31 2017-03-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语阅读技巧 阅读:75 2017-03-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】你读过的最深刻的格言：从未尝过幸福的味道 阅读:56 2016-10-18
- 【听力-购物】Asking about a Fu... 阅读:38 2017-09-15
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“Kick ass”了不起 阅读:65 2016-02-19
while除具有“当时”、“同时”等意义外，根据上下文还有以下不同含义及其不同译法。 一、引导时间状语从句 译作“当……时”。例如： 1. Make hay while the sun shines. 趁着有太阳晒晒草。（乘...
1. I will not be tired of the beautiful words uesed as the loving messages.爱是...
1A: I need to use the ATM.B: What's stopping you?A: I'm not sure how.B: I don't understand.A: I've ne...
A: Good afternoon. Jet Office Products.B: Hello, my name is Richard Lee. I need to reschedule an appointment.A: I cou...
银行是大家经常要去到的地方。在银行办理业务的时候，不妨顺便背背下面这几句实用口语。 1. I'd like to open an account in your bank. Should I take a number first? ...
A tidy tiger tied a tie tighter to tidy her tiny tail.一只老虎将领带系紧，清洁它的尾巴。A blok...
Since they got together in June, Tom Hiddleston and Taylor Swift have had eve...
A: Good morning, Ms. Phillips. I have a second counteroffer.B: Okay, Mr. Lee. What is it?A: I am willing to raise my ...
A: I can't pay for the ticket.B: Why can't you pay for the ticket?A: Well, I just got laid off from my job.B:...
18世纪的物理学家Joseph Priestley发现南美洲的一种名叫caoutchouc的树胶能够擦去铅笔的痕迹，于是这种东西就被叫做rubber，是从动词rub（擦）派生出来的，意即用来擦铅笔字的工作——橡皮。 Er...
A: Hi, Michelle. What are you up to?B: I'm looking for work online.A: Cool! What kind of job are you looking for?...
北京时间今日凌晨，SpaceX火箭在发射过程中发生大爆炸，猎鹰9号运载的再利用火箭爆炸解体，Facebook 创始人扎克伯格痛失2亿美金。Space X是...
Cold Mountain As Anman sat 1)brooding and 2)pining for his lost self, one of Swimmer’s creekside stories rushed...
音频点击此处>>>A: It's time for your bath, young lady.A:你该洗澡了，小姐。B: Bu...
1A: It's very nice to meet you.B: Nice meeting you, too.A: I can't believe I'm actually speaking to a can...
一、Oh 表示惊讶、指责、痛苦、称赞、懊恼等，可译为“哦”、“哎呀”、“噢”“啊”、“呀”等。 1. "Oh, who was that?&...