Beijings Olympic Village Court opens
Beijing's Olympic Village Court opens
BEIJING -- The Olympic Games Village People's Local Court, the only law facility bearing the Olympic title in the country, opened here on Wednesday.
Located in the Olympic Village in the city's northeast, the building is named in accordance with the Supreme People's Court's rule that courts should be named for their location.
During the Games, about 70 percent of cases related to the Olympics will be heard in the building, which is the seventh commissary court of Chaoyang District People's Court. The district is home to most of the Games' venues.
The new court will mainly hear civil cases, such as those for house rental, labor disputes and personal injury. Also handled here are cases for foreigners' personal injury, property damage and labor dispute caused by activities of the Games, tourism, accommodations, shopping, transport, dining and entertainment, said Qian Yixin, the court's chief judge.
The court was established in June 2007 and had operated nearby in a contemporary office near the compound built for the Asian Games Village in 1990.
Its new location is less than one km away from the apartments of the Olympic athletes in the east, facing the Badaling Expressway in the west. The new court is equipped with 11 courtrooms -- seven small-sized, three middle-sized and one large.
Covering a judicial area of 57.22 square km, the court's territory includes the Bird's Nest, the Water Cube, the Olympic GREen, the Olympic Village and many hotels, among others.
Most of the Olympic-related civil cases would be heard here, including many related to foreign affairs. To better help the procedures, all guides and signs are in both Chinese and English, Qian said.
A Foreign-Interests-Related Courtroom with a 27-seat gallery is one of its features. It is installed with a three-track simultaneous interpretation system.
Except cases related to national secrets, all proceedings would be open according to the country's laws, Qian said. In total, the 11 courtrooms have seating for 247 people, she added.
The Accessible Courtroom also provides facilities and toilets for the disabled.
Since 2007, the Olympic Village Court had heard 4,772 cases, more than 90 percent of which had been resolved, said Zhang Wen, the People's Court of Chaoyang District deputy president.
As of June, the court had receive 20 cases related to the Olympics, 15 of which had been completed, she said.
IAAF says amputee runner Pistorius too dangerous
PARIS - South Africa's Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee who is hoping to run alongside able-bodied competitors at the Beijing Olympics, was branded a potential danger to other athletes on Monday.
South African Oscar Pistorius warms-up during a training session for the international European Athletics Association (EAA) athletics meeting in Lucerne July 15, 2008. Double amputee Pistorius, who runs with carbon-fibre blades attached to his legs, will try for the third time to reach the Beijing Olympics 400 metres qualification time of 45.95 seconds at the international EAA athletics meeting in Lucerne on Wednesday. [Agencies]
Pierre Weiss, the general secretary of the sport's governing body, the IAAF, believes that if Pistorius, who runs on carbon-fiber blades, takes part in the 4x400m relay, he could be a risk to other runners once they are bunched on the track.
"The decision by CAS (the Court of Arbitration in Sport which allowed Pistorius to compete with able-bodied runners) applies to all athletics events. But if he runs in the pack, there's a risk that he or another athlete will fall."
Pistorius, 21, has been trying to reach the qualifying standard of 45.55 seconds to book a place in the indvidual 400m at the Beijing Olympics. He set his best time of the season of 46.62 seconds in Rome on Friday.
He will try again in Lucerne in Switzerland on Wednesday and hasn't given up hope of making the relay team in China.
"The South Africans have qualified without Pistorius and if they take him they are going to have to remove another relay runner," said Weiss.
"It's a decision that rests with the officials of the federation and the South African Olympic Committee, but we'd prefer that they don't select him for reasons of safety."
Beijings Olympic Village Court opens
- 【阅读-每日英语】Waste not, want not. 阅读:40 2017-08-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】令人深恶痛绝的10大饮食杀手，英文怎么说？ 阅读:55 2016-09-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】“Kiss”在不同场合的各种用法 阅读:258 2016-08-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】那些年念错的英文词，你膝盖中了几箭？ 阅读:83 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】你选择什么类型的电影Which typ... 阅读:34 2018-01-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】很不爽，那就痛快地说出来吧！ 阅读:50 2016-10-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】见面打招呼，再没有比这让人耳目一新的句子了！ 阅读:109 2016-10-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】人生最幸福莫过于拥有这8类朋友！ 阅读:42 2016-10-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语读科技文章的技巧 阅读:52 2017-03-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读TheAerialBall... 阅读:41 2017-10-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】Olympic Village off... 阅读:43 2017-07-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语语法与语感 阅读:37 2018-02-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】别傻了，你以为老外是在跟你谈“天气”？ 阅读:47 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】Dont bank on Olympi... 阅读:18 2018-06-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】说明文阅读理解备考策略 阅读:41 2018-03-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何应对四六级听力考试 阅读:66 2018-03-05
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】信息安全法information ... 阅读:148 2016-03-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】动物灭绝 WILDLIFE EXT... 阅读:70 2018-01-24
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“开放注册”在英语里怎么说 阅读:79 2016-02-26
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】The Star ... 阅读:42 2016-11-20
- 【听力-解雇】Collecting Unempl... 阅读:190 2017-04-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】最令人抓狂的50种声音，你制造了几个？ 阅读:169 2016-11-16
- 【阅读-记忆法学习】记忆法核心原理和记忆流程介绍 阅读:75 2016-01-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】永远都是复数的单词，值得收藏！ 阅读:123 2016-09-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】The secret of hap... 阅读:38 2017-12-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】与爱情有关的英语佳句 阅读:102 2017-11-27
- 【听力-买车】Detecting a Probl... 阅读:46 2018-01-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】口语中总想不起怎么说的英文 阅读:103 2016-08-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】博尔特，你的对手在这里! 阅读:41 2016-10-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】一位中国老人在加拿大学英语的故事 阅读:64 2017-03-07
- 【听力-找公寓】Finding an Apartm... 阅读:23 2017-12-12
- 【听力-社交网络】Birthdate 社交网络中的出生日期 阅读:84 2016-06-26
A: I told you not to go into my room!B: I was just looking for a pencil.A: You are always making up excuses.B: My exp...
A: I'm really looking forward to casting my vote today.B: Oh really? Why?A: I think my candidate will really chan...
A: Were you invited to Barb's birthday party?B: I was. It should be really fun.A: Do you have a date for the part...
A: Sarah! Hurry up and get out of bed!B: I can't, the blankets won't let me go.A: Quit being lazy and get up!...
近来各类关于大陆游客赴台个人游的消息“满天飞”，在可能首批开放的几个城市—北京、上海、厦门，5月中旬至今，相关旅行社的咨询电话都被打“爆”了。 请看《中国日报》的报道： To...
1A: What can I help you with today?B: When does the library close?A: The library closes at six o'clock.B: Does it...
Rostrum 讲台 这个词现代英语里作"讲坛","演讲台","检阅台"等解，"（天安门）城楼"也用它，即the Tien An Men Rost...
A: Good day, Ms. Andrews. Can we talk?B: Of course, Mr. Johnson. Why don't you come into the office this afternoo...
朱莉和皮特(Brangelina)要离婚了!Brangelina breakup：Brangelina是Brad Angelina的合成词，就和Brexi...
Back up a minute.等一下。Back up a minute
A: $140. I can't believe it.B: What are you talking about?A: I got a ticket downtown for $140.B: Were you speedin...
A: I have the worst job shift ever.这是我上过的最差的倒班工作了。B: No. I do.不，我的才是。A: My shift is from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.我的班次从6点上到凌晨2...
Passover is a Jewish holiday that remembers and celebrates their liberation from ancient Egyptian slavery as descri...
●喜欢、爱上……汤姆是个美男子。Tom is a lady-killer. *lady-killer直译是“少女杀手”，其实不是杀手，而是指一下子就能迷住女人的男子。Tom dates around a lot. (汤姆和好多女人...