Beijing nears fulfillment of preparation
Beijing nears fulfillment of seven years' work in Olympics
BEIJING - When He Zhenliang, a then member of the International Olympic Committee's Executive Board, presented the last statement of the Beijing's 2008 bid on behalf of China in Moscow on July 13, 2001, he and the Chinese people were already determined to live up to their words.
Zhu Rongjing (R) and Zhu Youyi paste a paper-cut on a window at their home, an "Olympic Homestay" household, in Shishahai, downtown Beijing, July 11, 2008. [Xinhua]
"Choosing Beijing as the host city for the Olympics, you will bring the first ever Games in Olympic history to a nation containing one-fifth of the world's population, and 1.3 billion Chinese people will dedicate their efforts to the Olympic Movement," said He.
"If you award the chance of hosting the Olympics to Beijing, I can assure you that seven years later you will be proud of the decision you make today."
Seven years after He made the promise, the Beijing organizers have turned the bid into reality.
Unlike that of previous Olympics, Beijing's prep work has kept to plan and some stadiums and infrastructure have even been finished ahead of schedule.
The city has spent US$40 billion on infrastructure, including a new airport terminal and subway lines, as well as US$2.1 billion to cover the cost of running the Games.
The torch relay, now proGREssing on Chinese soil, is the longest ever in the Olympic history, lasting 130 days and covering 137,000 kilometers (85,000 miles) worldwide.
The holy flame was also carried to the top of the Mt. Qomolangma for the first time in history, a grand ascent hailed by the whole world as heroism.
Even after the massive quake rocked southwest China's Sichuan province on May 12 and already claimed around 70,000 lives, the organizers quickly picked up themselves from mourning and continued the fine-tuning on the Games.
"The Chinese people have pledged to the world to host a successful Olympic Games. To honor those killed in the earthquake, my colleagues and I feel obliged to make the Beijing Olympics a GREat success," said Wang Pingjiu, a staff member of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG).
Beijing subway passengers have been receiving security checks starting from June 29 as China beefs up security.
National-level anti-terrorist drills were launched to prepare the security forces against chemical attacks, hijacking and other possible contingencies. Sniffer dogs will be brought into the capital to help detect explosives.
Beginning from June, the country's postal service has suspended mailing parcels containing liquids until October 31, following a previous liquid ban introduced in April on carry-on baggage in domestic flights.
Beijing nears fulfillment of preparation
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读TheLivingFlag 阅读:68 2017-11-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】Olympic flame arriv... 阅读:49 2018-06-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】老外的中文笔记 阅读:71 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】2016年十二星座运势：哪个星座发展最好？ 阅读:40 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】电视破坏了友谊和家庭？ 阅读:26 2017-12-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】2007六级作文预测及范文1 阅读:77 2018-01-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】大雪纷飞，边吃火锅边学英语喽！ 阅读:70 2016-10-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】《疯狂外星人》励志主题曲：《Feel ... 阅读:87 2016-08-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】够“奇葩”，英文怎么说？ 阅读:48 2016-10-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】TED演讲：我得过的最好礼物 阅读:517 2016-08-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】There is no fire wi... 阅读:68 2017-06-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】老外拿来当饭吃的英文短句 阅读:82 2016-08-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】Learn to listen to 阅读:49 2017-11-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】2005年英语六级考试作文范 阅读:41 2017-12-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】与蔬菜【vegatable】相关的英语... 阅读:94 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】英美人士最讨厌的5个英文单词 阅读:111 2016-09-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读Websitrecom... 阅读:52 2017-09-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】阅读经典书籍的重要性The imp... 阅读:98 2017-12-31
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语中“伪娘”怎么说 阅读:267 2016-02-23
- 【听力-开车】Applying For a Dr... 阅读:54 2017-06-26
- 【听力-坐公交车】Talking on the Bu... 阅读:36 2017-09-23
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“美国的诺贝尔奖”在英语里怎么说 阅读:54 2016-02-26
- 【听力-日常生活】Troubleshooting a... 阅读:39 2017-10-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何表达“我配不上你” 阅读:56 2018-04-04
- 【听力-日常生活】A Bad Diet 不规律的饮食习惯 阅读:103 2016-12-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语口语交际的十大陷阱 你出坑了吗 阅读:80 2016-11-09
- 【听力-日常生活】A Community Tree ... 阅读:59 2017-06-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】Oil prices strike... 阅读:51 2017-07-12
- 【听力-图书馆】Checking Out a Bo... 阅读:34 2018-03-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】中秋节边赏月边学月亮短语 阅读:68 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】你知道什么是典型的哥特式建筑吗 阅读:115 2017-04-09
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】细说英语单词：忘年恋 阅读:43 2016-02-21
1. Be funny. Kind-spirited humor can douse a hot argument, head off a fight, and turn the drudgery of household respo...
Directions: 1．电影观众越来越少 2．电视观众越来越多，因为... 3．然而，还是有人喜欢看电影，因为... Film Is Giving Way to TV 作文范文： Nowadays there are fewe...
A: Can you tell us what you saw?B: I didn't see much. I was afraid.A: Why were you afraid?B: The man had his hand...
A device or pill that help people sleep betterIf I could invent something new, I would invent a device or pill that c...
7句英语口语教你如何形容美女美女总是可以吸引很多眼球，今天我们来学习一下如何用英语形容身边的美女。7句最实用的英语口语教你如何形容美女。1. Hey, look at the chick over there. 看看在那边的女孩. C...
1A: I want to change rooms. In fact, I want a refund for tonight! B: And the problem is, sir? A: Cockroaches have tak...
各省市基建投资云集，砂石骨料行业喜迎机遇China Aggregate Industry Faced With Opportunities as Provinces Increase Infrastructure Investment...
China Daily reports that more than 5,000 tons of highly toxic industrial waste were dumped illegally in rural areas i...
2007年金猪年马上就要来了，在这里我们给大家介绍几个和猪有关的口语常用表达。 1．Pig out 狼吞虎咽地大吃 Pig out = make a p...
The fate of the world will soon be decided. The 1)dominion of evil grows even stronger. There is a union now, between...
Wine in, truth out.酒后吐真言Wine in, truth out