Beijing nears fulfillment of preparation
Beijing nears fulfillment of seven years' work in Olympics
BEIJING - When He Zhenliang, a then member of the International Olympic Committee's Executive Board, presented the last statement of the Beijing's 2008 bid on behalf of China in Moscow on July 13, 2001, he and the Chinese people were already determined to live up to their words.
Zhu Rongjing (R) and Zhu Youyi paste a paper-cut on a window at their home, an "Olympic Homestay" household, in Shishahai, downtown Beijing, July 11, 2008. [Xinhua]
"Choosing Beijing as the host city for the Olympics, you will bring the first ever Games in Olympic history to a nation containing one-fifth of the world's population, and 1.3 billion Chinese people will dedicate their efforts to the Olympic Movement," said He.
"If you award the chance of hosting the Olympics to Beijing, I can assure you that seven years later you will be proud of the decision you make today."
Seven years after He made the promise, the Beijing organizers have turned the bid into reality.
Unlike that of previous Olympics, Beijing's prep work has kept to plan and some stadiums and infrastructure have even been finished ahead of schedule.
The city has spent US$40 billion on infrastructure, including a new airport terminal and subway lines, as well as US$2.1 billion to cover the cost of running the Games.
The torch relay, now proGREssing on Chinese soil, is the longest ever in the Olympic history, lasting 130 days and covering 137,000 kilometers (85,000 miles) worldwide.
The holy flame was also carried to the top of the Mt. Qomolangma for the first time in history, a grand ascent hailed by the whole world as heroism.
Even after the massive quake rocked southwest China's Sichuan province on May 12 and already claimed around 70,000 lives, the organizers quickly picked up themselves from mourning and continued the fine-tuning on the Games.
"The Chinese people have pledged to the world to host a successful Olympic Games. To honor those killed in the earthquake, my colleagues and I feel obliged to make the Beijing Olympics a GREat success," said Wang Pingjiu, a staff member of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG).
Beijing subway passengers have been receiving security checks starting from June 29 as China beefs up security.
National-level anti-terrorist drills were launched to prepare the security forces against chemical attacks, hijacking and other possible contingencies. Sniffer dogs will be brought into the capital to help detect explosives.
Beginning from June, the country's postal service has suspended mailing parcels containing liquids until October 31, following a previous liquid ban introduced in April on carry-on baggage in domestic flights.
Beijing nears fulfillment of preparation
- 【阅读-每日英语】常对你身边的人说这十句话，幸福满满哒! 阅读:115 2016-09-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】“二维码”这么火，英文怎么说？ 阅读:108 2016-10-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】【听歌学英语】克里斯蒂娜·佩里：A T... 阅读:98 2016-09-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】数字“0”在英语中怎么说？ 阅读:94 2016-10-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】要不要为没做过的事情受罚？ 阅读:47 2016-10-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】暂别“kill”的消极，来看看其积极的一面 阅读:78 2016-10-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】A young idler, an o... 阅读:52 2018-06-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】增强英语语句表现力的方法 阅读:52 2018-03-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语高分秘笺 阅读:127 2018-04-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】听力完全突破法 阅读:33 2018-04-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】A bargain is a bargain 阅读:60 2018-05-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】UN Secretary-Genera... 阅读:126 2017-07-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】Life is full of ups... 阅读:73 2017-06-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】老外卖关子，还真有一套！ 阅读:44 2016-10-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】最经典的绕口令!练发音的好教材 阅读:133 2018-02-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】爱意浓浓的情书 阅读:131 2016-07-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】Beijing responds ... 阅读:32 2018-07-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】VOA学习中的一些经验和体会 阅读:112 2017-04-08
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】实用英语口语：“打的”常用语 阅读:84 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】College entrance ... 阅读:63 2018-06-27
- 【听力-坐公交车】Bus Schedule 公共汽车时刻表 阅读:61 2016-03-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】把自己从一个疯狂下载者变成一个学习者 阅读:45 2017-03-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】征服英语的33条军规 阅读:107 2017-02-17
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“leg”在英语口语中的用法 阅读:89 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】增强英语语句表现力的方法 阅读:42 2017-03-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语读音里居然隐含着这样的奥秘！ 阅读:74 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读War’sEffect... 阅读:57 2017-11-14
- 【听力-旅行】Making a Hotel Re... 阅读:53 2017-05-03
- 【听力-坐公交车】Falling Asleep on... 阅读:178 2016-03-20
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】热点英语单词：brand posi... 阅读:66 2016-02-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】和机智女儿的爆笑聊天，父亲表示受伤一万点 阅读:165 2016-11-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】常用的表情符号用英语怎么表达？ 阅读:465 2016-11-18
1 悲痛的遭遇可以让人变得强大 I guess there's something empowering about having some ...
一. 听说训练中应注意几个问题 一般英语学习者，在全面提高英语的前提下，要提高听、说能力，应首先注意以下三点： １．注意区分和模仿正确的语音、语调 在英语里有不少读音相近，但意思却截然不同的词汇，象cure[kjue](医愈)和 ...
A: I like a window seat!B: Why are you always so excited about sitting there?A: I like being able to look outside.B: ...
Sell One's Birthright for a Mess of Pottages因小失大；见利弃义 Sell One's Birthright for a Mess of Pottages直译是：“为了一碗红豆汤...
Sleep tight!睡个好觉！ 很简单的两个词，也是很地道一个英语表达。其中，tight并不是指被子盖得严，而是指早期人们睡的稻草床上的鬃绳绷得紧。过去，稻草的垫子就铺在纵横交错的鬃绳上，鬃绳起到弹簧的作用。这些鬃绳...
A: Look at this traffic.B: I'd rather not.A: It gets worse every year.B: Why are you complaining? We're going...
1. kill 让某人捧腹大笑;笑得前仰后合 That comedian kills me. 那个喜剧演员真是使我为之倾倒。 We were kil...
Two deaths reported in strong quake in GREeceATHENS, June 8 (Xinhua) -- Two quake-related fatalities and 37 injuries ...
Classical: Upper class, personable, intellectual,unattractive and boring古典乐：上...
Content is better than riches.知足者常乐。Content is better than riches.
A: Wow, this place is amazing.B: Is this your first time here?A: It's my first day at this school. I just transfe...
good watch prevents misfortune.谨慎消灾。Good watch prevents misfortune
1A: I really want to go to the beach this weekend.B: That sounds like fun. What's the weather going to be like?A:...
It is said that there was a goodness man went broke his domain. Helived a ha...
打招呼，除GREetings 之外九句最常用的招呼语 。 1.只要是朋友都能用的： How''s everything? 一切都好？ What''s up? 近况如何？ What''s new? 有什么新鲜事？ What''s hap...