If you're not feeling GREat, do yourself and your coworkers a favor: Call in sick. You'll likely get better faster and save your employer money。
Yes, there's a financial price to coming to work ill. It's called presenteeism, and it costs employers $180 billion annually, according to a 2007 study by the Society for Human Resources Management. That's more than employers shell out for employee absenteeism, which costs only $118 billion a year。
Sick employees don't just affect their own work; they infect coworkers who then need to take time off themselves. (Or who come in sick and spread the germs further.)
Is It Just Sniffles?
Most people do get paid time off. Some 57% of all private businesses offer paid sick leave, according to a 2007 report from the Department of Labor. Still, there's a natural worry that if you don't go in, the work won't get done, or it will pile up so high you'll never be able to get through it all. That's especially true these days, when it seems everyone is doing more work with less resources。
"People don't want to stay home and add to their coworkers' workloads just because they've got the sniffles," says Michael Smith, a physician who is chief medical editor for WebMD.com. "In the end it hurts more then it helps."
Yes, if it's really nothing more than sniffles, go on in. To be safe, wash your hands more often, don't touch anyone else's phone or keyboard and always cough or sneeze into a tissue。
Ideally, though, with any true cold, even just a minor one, you should work from home, Smith says. Definitely call in sick, he adds, if you've got a stuffed nose, cough, chest congestion or are throwing up. And never go into the office with a fever。
"If you've got any inkling of being contagious, it's just not fair to go in," says Wendy Nice Barnes, vice president of human resources at ehealthinsurance.com. She says people showing up at work sick are a much bigger concern than people missing work when they're not really ill。
ehealthinsurance.com网站的VP Wendy Nice Barnes说，“如果你有传染的迹象，到公司上班对其他人是不公平的”，她说人们带病上班比不生病的时候请病假麻烦更大。
The Healthy Options
But it's not only about being kind to your coworkers. "Staying home a day or two may shorten the illness," Smith points out。
Perhaps you'll feel better taking the day off if you know how many sick and personal days you have annually. When you call in sick, try to reach your manager directly by phone. Explain that you're not feeling well and you don't want to expose everyone else in the office to whatever you've got。
Since not everybody is so considerate, do what you can to stay healthy. Get a flu shot. Many employers offer them on-site for free or for less than at a doctor's office. Keep antibacterial soap handy for washing your hands, especially after interacting with a sick coworker。
"The most common way to get a cold or the flu is by touching something contaminated by someone infected," Smith says. "It's not someone sneezing or coughing in your face. It's them contaminating a phone."
Above all, simply don't feel guilty about calling in sick。
- 【阅读-每日英语】美国人常说的口语，赶快记下来！ 阅读:39 2016-10-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】什么是“road rage”？ 阅读:76 2016-11-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】高个女孩儿的烦恼，你不懂！ 阅读:56 2016-10-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】早上不要做五件事，你做到了吗？ 阅读:73 2016-10-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】只说一遍就能记住的口语！ 阅读:63 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】4个简单短语，搞定英语请假 阅读:75 2016-10-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】Not to advance is t... 阅读:97 2017-06-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】商务英语阅读技巧报刊词汇 阅读:20 2018-03-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读JILLSTUARTSPR... 阅读:62 2017-09-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读waiting 阅读:46 2017-09-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】让你提高英语口语水平的12个英语句子 阅读:100 2016-06-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】犯懒的时候，读读这个！ 阅读:64 2016-10-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】外国人最常用20个地道口语，不知道的别... 阅读:202 2016-11-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】浅谈口译 阅读:21 2018-04-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】What a Smart Wife! 阅读:32 2017-08-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】教一条鱼如何游泳 阅读:220 2016-10-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】Is Failure a Bad ... 阅读:30 2017-12-28
- 【听力-坐公交车】Buying Tickets on... 阅读:95 2016-03-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】We soon believe w... 阅读:96 2017-08-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】学英语的十个小技巧 阅读:17 2018-04-22
- 【阅读-每日英语】新概念英语学习方法 阅读:19 2018-05-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】Singing in the life 阅读:34 2017-11-16
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“carbon footprint... 阅读:69 2016-02-22
- 【听力-约会】A Night by Himsel... 阅读:29 2017-02-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】看似简单却会出洋相的10个英语句子 阅读:78 2016-06-01
- 【阅读-旅游准备】【旅游英语】旅游准备 14 飞机餐... 阅读:551 2017-01-18
- 【听力-大学生活】The Quiet Student... 阅读:30 2018-04-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】Kick against the ... 阅读:68 2017-05-31
- 【阅读-记忆法学习】教你如何拥有出众的记忆力 阅读:90 2016-01-21
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】细说英语单词：“草食男”怎么说 阅读:33 2016-02-21
- 【听力-食物】Don''t Be Lazy 别偷懒 阅读:31 2017-04-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】励志英文：内心看不见的太阳 阅读:54 2016-10-05
1A: Could you tell me if you have ever taken a class from Dr. Miller?B: Yes. Are you going to be taking a class from ...
A: You seem a little lost. Can I be of some assistance?B: That would be nice of you. I just have one question.A: You ...
A: Can you please shut up?B: Maybe if you ask nicely, I will!A: This is a library, so you have to shut up.B: I didn...
Clothes make the man. 人要衣装。 Clothes make the man.
Now is it just me, or are chemists getting increasingly nosey? It's ever since the government suggested that we consu...
1A: How may I help you?B: I need to return these books.A: What happened to this one?B: The cover came off.A: You'...
A: Did you watch that show on TV last night?B: Do you mean the one about the zombies?A: Yes! Isn't it a great sho...
Hares, as you know, are very timid. The least shadow, sends them scurrying in fright to a hiding place. Once they dec...
A: Do any public buses run nearby?B: Yes, in fact many buses do.A: Can you tell me where I can catch them?B: Down the...
There is no satiety in study学无止境 There is no satiety in study
Do you know what you can hold without ever touching it?什么东西不碰，就能拿?A conversat...
Pain past is pleasure 过去的痛苦就是快乐 Pain past is pleasure
1A: How may I help you?B: I would like to return an item.A: What are you returning?B: I want to return this cellphone...