J.K. Rowling (Author): I know that when I read books as a kid, the characters became part of my fantasy life.
Margot Adler (Interviewer): Uh-huh. And you've lived with Harry Potter for more than ten years.
Margot: And I’m wondering if he lives with you now, more with you now? Does he sit on your shoulder? You know that.
Rowling: He’s still very with me.
Rowling: Of course. I mean it's avery very all-consuming project. It's a seven novel series. I have 127 characters. That's a lot of characters to keep in play. It's an increasingly complex plot, as I always planned it. Obviously it's the focus of an enormous amount of my time and energy and that huge part of my life.
Margot: Now you still have at least three years to go to write five, six and seven of the series. And given that Harry Potter was ten years in the making, are there other projects that are beginning to 1)percolate? I'm not saying you have to tell us those but that are beginning to sort of percolate in your head for sort of beyond Harry?
Rowling: There are ideas. But as I say, it's 127 characters in this, it’s very long. I'm not eager to finish Harry. I don't want to lose the momentum, so I'm not about to take time off from writing it in the sense that I don't want to walk away from it and come back. It's going to be part of the reason to finish the book. It'sbeen such a huge part of my life and I neither want to hasten towards it nor do I want to extend the series unnecessarily. And I still love the writing of it, but it was very pressured at one point and I was really 2)pressurized putting on myself. Obviously I wanted to finish the book to my satisfaction and I obviously didn't want to disappoint people by missing the deadline. We made the deadline but I did do that by putting in very, very long days and working in a, far more pressured way than I normally work.
Margot: How are you protecting yourself from all this celebrity in order to have time to write?
Rowling: Mostly it’s really not that difficult, you know. People ask me, “Can you still walk down the street without being recognized very easily?” The more difficult aspect is that you do find everyone wants something, and loads of the people who want something. “I want it for very, very good causes.” But there has to be a counterpoint because I will not produce anymore work if I do everything that people are asking of me. So there are charities I do work for but obviously I have to turn a lot of it down. It's quite apart from wanting to continue to be a novelist. It's wonderful I lovegiving readings, I love answering kids’ questions. In fact this is very difficult, but journalists have been asking me for the title of book five, and I finally this morning I cracked and told an eight-year- old boy because I just wanted to see the look on his face when I told him. But only occasionally do I think, “What have you done?” and normally that’s on a day when some journalist has come up and bangs on my front door and I never expected that and I can't say I particularly enjoy that. But most of the time it is really wonderful.
Margot: Knowing what do you know now about the last four years of experience? Is there anything that you’d do differently?
Rowling: In retrospect...only fairly 3)trivial things. Overall no, not really. In terms of the writing, you always look back at your work at your books and think, “Why did I say it that way? Why did I do it that way?” I think the urged thinker remains even after the books are in print. In other ways in sort of handling everything that's happened, I'm still learning on the job.
1) percolate v. 精力充沛，变得积极；滤过
2) pressurize v. 密封，加压
- 【阅读-每日英语】你选择什么类型的电影Which typ... 阅读:27 2018-01-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】美国俚语：使用You too的尴尬 阅读:54 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】太垃圾了！！英文是这样吐槽的~~ 阅读:26 2016-10-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读BUSINESSISFUN 阅读:42 2017-09-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】Olympic weather new... 阅读:48 2017-07-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】超级记忆法 阅读:21 2018-03-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】英国人最易拼错的50个单词，你来拼拼看！ 阅读:90 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】在国外学英语的利与弊 阅读:90 2017-05-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】不做吝啬鬼，他们是这样的—— 阅读:49 2016-10-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】历年英语六级作文题及范文2002-2005 阅读:20 2018-01-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】被动语态的译法 阅读:60 2017-04-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】最登对最幸福的情侣？九个信号帮你判断 阅读:39 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】学好英语的十个经典要诀 Top 10 ... 阅读:24 2018-02-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】WC.的来历 阅读:66 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】“想不开”英文怎么说？ 阅读:46 2016-10-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】男人的裤子口袋一定要结实 阅读:70 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】六个月内学会任何一门外语的方法 阅读:47 2016-09-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】Qin Chun people e... 阅读:25 2017-12-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】Modernization of ... 阅读:20 2017-12-31
- 【听力-雇佣】Greeting by Recep... 阅读:68 2017-05-09
- 【阅读-记忆法学习】什么是记忆 阅读:62 2016-01-21
- 【听力-娱乐】I Have Four Aces ... 阅读:19 2017-07-17
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】简单的几句美国口语 阅读:62 2016-02-19
- 【听力-娱乐】LARPing 临场动态角色扮演游戏 阅读:25 2017-02-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】How Phelps achiev... 阅读:37 2017-06-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读IFTHOUMUSTL... 阅读:37 2017-09-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】It takes two to m... 阅读:77 2017-05-13
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】 Sunset B... 阅读:29 2016-11-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】怎么用英语打电话？10个句子帮你搞定！ 阅读:43 2016-10-01
- 【听力-日常生活】How about a Pizza... 阅读:21 2017-01-15
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】各种“实习”的表达方式 阅读:52 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】如果爱因斯坦要做ppt，他会这样.... 阅读:36 2016-10-31
科技对学习的影响(The Effects of Technology on Learning) The technological advances of the last few years have been amazing. N...
A: So what are some of your hobbies?B: I don't have any.A: What are your favorite T.V. shows?B: I don't watch...
Forgive others but not yourself. 严于律己，宽以待人Forgive others but not yourself
今天我们要学习的每日一句英语是：趁热打铁英语怎么说？Make hay while sun shines.趁热打铁。Make hay while sun shines
1A: Whoa, look at all those ice cream choices!B: Yes, that is a lot of choices. What is your favorite?A: I love anyth...
1A: Did you hear about the robbery?B: Did I hear about it? I saw it happen.A: Are you serious?B: I was there.A: What ...
I always feel that time is of a smile, such as a half-open flowers, blooming in our lives. the early winter morning...
A: Tomorrow is show and tell.明天有展示和讲述课。B: Yeah, I know. 是的，我知道。A: I am bringing my new purse for show and tell.我带了我的新...
A: Hello. I need to make an appointment.B: Were you mandated by the court to go to traffic school?A: Yes, I was. Does...
Do nothing by halves.凡事不可半途废Do nothing by halves
The use of Internet-ready devices like smartphones appears to have seriously...
1A: I want to go try on these clothes.B: What did you find?A: I found some jeans, and a new blouse.B: Go and try it o...
What is the joy and happiness? These may seem very simple question has been plaguing our generation after generation....
Most of you are familiar with American, Canadian and English Christmas custom...
1. Be funny. Kind-spirited humor can douse a hot argument, head off a fight, and turn the drudgery of household respo...