I remember phoning several service agencies to find out what was needed in the community. We divided up into three groups and showed up where the agencies said they most needed us. The first week, the group I was involved with went to a very old 4)Ukrainian gentleman's home to do a total cleanup of his house and garden. When we arrived, an elderly woman GREeted us at the door. We thought she was the wife, but it turned out she was the daughter. She was 75, and her father was 97! She told us what we needed to do, and we proceeded to clean the house from floor to ceiling and clean up the yard as well. It is amazing how much work a group can get done when everyone is working together and being of service to someone who really needs the help. That gentleman's house went from dirt and 5)dinginess to a 6)sparkling clean palace by the time we finished at the end of the day.
The thing I most remember about that day, however, was not the GREat cleaning job that we did, but something altogether different. When we first walked into the house, I noticed the wonderful pen-and-ink drawings that 7)adorned the walls in all the rooms of the house. I asked the daughter who had done them. She said that her father had, and that he hadn't 8)taken up art until he was 80 years old! I was 9)dumbfounded: these drawings were works of art that could have easily been hanging in a museum. At the time, I was in my early 30s and wanted to do something that would 10)utilize my creative and artistic capabilities more than being the president of a giftware company would allow. I had been feeling that it would be too difficult to make a change at this "advanced" stage of my life. Boy, did my limited belief system get expanded that afternoon
We continued to do service projects around town for several more weeks, including completely painting someone's home and setting up a large 11)bleacher for a horseback riding academy for physically challenged children. We had a lot of fun and did a lot of good. we ended up with the nickname The Arc Angels. In addition to the good feelings that came from helping out others, the good feelings we shared as employees of a company that cared for both its employees and the community went a long way toward creating a work atmosphere that was a joy to be part of.
1) lull n. 间歇，平息
2) slowdown n. 减速
3) payroll n. 薪水册
4) Ukrainian a. 乌克兰的
5) dinginess n. 暗淡，肮脏
6) sparkling a. 闪闪发光的
7) adorn v. 装饰
8) take up 从事，对……有兴趣
9) dumbfounded a. 发愣的
10) utilize v. 利用
11) bleacher n. 露台
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】老婆大人，我想换个新床垫 阅读:58 2016-10-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】HIV testing importa... 阅读:64 2017-07-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】妙语连珠超级英语句子 阅读:59 2016-07-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】外国人常说的8句话，尽情的发泄坏心情！ 阅读:51 2016-10-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】A good medicine tas... 阅读:132 2017-06-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】熬不下去了，来点电影熬的鸡汤 阅读:60 2016-10-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】推荐｜二十个暖心句子，让你从骨子里爱上。 阅读:80 2016-11-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】听不懂老外说话怎么办？ 阅读:56 2017-03-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】tout的各种用法 阅读:57 2018-03-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】阅读技巧 阅读:36 2017-03-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】词中词记英文 阅读:129 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】Time to celebrate s... 阅读:93 2017-06-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】Harbor House is a g... 阅读:56 2017-12-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】以613分的高分 阅读:102 2017-03-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】超级简单情景小对话，太有意思了！ 阅读:66 2016-10-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语精华IBM & Iro... 阅读:133 2017-09-08
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】美国阵亡将士纪念日... 阅读:74 2016-11-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】改掉这5个坏习惯让你的生活更健康 阅读:154 2017-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】早上不要做五件事，你做到了吗？ 阅读:126 2016-10-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】著名音乐剧《悲惨世界》插曲欣赏 阅读:120 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】科学技术在现代生活中所占的地位Th... 阅读:54 2018-01-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语学习经验谈之苦读英语不如巧读英语 阅读:36 2018-03-19
- 【听力-坐公交车】Bus Schedule 公共汽车时刻表 阅读:56 2016-03-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语中颜色背后的含义 阅读:103 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】All roads lead to... 阅读:47 2018-06-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】怎样才能听懂美国之音？ 阅读:67 2018-03-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语写作剖析必须掌握的九大技巧 阅读:82 2017-03-22
- 【听力-大学生活】Purchasing a Park... 阅读:27 2018-02-27
- 【听力-娱乐】A Card Game 纸牌游戏 阅读:42 2017-07-18
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“恶搞影片”在英语里怎么说 阅读:52 2016-02-20
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语单词你也来Romance一下！的故事 阅读:112 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】Diamond cut diamond 阅读:134 2017-07-04
英语中有很多“Jack-” 短语，这些“Jack”意义多多，既可指人、也可指物。 every man Jack 每人;人人 All the work...
一般听到这样开头了，后面的话大多不是好话了~~ 1. How do I put this gently... 我要怎么才能温柔地告诉你…… 真实含义...
趣而且常用的口语集有趣而且常用的口语集Absolutely 这个词常用的很强的语气中，比如你和某人谈话，非常同意说话人的意见和看法时，用到这个字， Absolutely! 绝对正确"Someone must have lost his...
There are two legends which claim to explain the tradition of eating mooncake...
A: I would like to purchase the book for Sociology 130.B: May I see your student ID?A: I didn't know we needed it...
1A: Here is your breakfast!B: Thanks so much. Miss, I believe I ordered my eggs scrambled, and these arefried.A: Sorr...
A: Excuse me. Can I have a minute of your time, please?B: Sure, what is it?A: I'm trying to take the bus to Downe...
1A: Could you help me make a plane reservation?B: I would be happy to help you. Where do you plan on going?A: I am go...
1A: Is there a problem, officer?B: Did you not notice that stop sign that you ran through?A: I'm sorry, I didn...
In the late 1960's, many people in North America turned their attention to environmental problems, and new steel-and-...
A: The prices on fruit have really gone up this year!B: Yes, they have. It's ridiculous!A: The fruit is not of go...
1.We can't choose what happens to us， but at least， we can choose how we ...
用英文向女孩子表达爱意，不是只有“i love you”。大家知道怎样用英语来表达你很喜欢一个女孩子呢? 如何讲一些让女孩子感动的话呢? 快来看看吧! ...
1. Don't be so bossy. 1、不要太气势凌人。 2. Your dad would have to chase the bo...