Jump Down Someone's Throat: become angry with someone
-That's it, GREg! You'd better not come in after midnight again tonight!
-I know, dad. You don't have to jump down my throat! I told you that I'd make it home around 11:30. I don't intend to be late!
-Well, you've said that before and in you come at 2:30 in the morning. You can't blame me for getting angry and scolding you. I've got good reason.
Play It by Ear: improvise as one goes along
-Let's go to the movies, aGREed?
-Sure. And what'll we do after that?
-Oh, I don't' know. Let's play it by ear.
-Well, I would like to have a more definite plan of action.
-Don't be like that. It's always more fun not knowing what to expect and deciding what to do as we go along.
Stick Out One's Neck: take a risk
-How come they're asking me to act as their guide through the jungle?
-Evidently they think you're the only one who can lead them to the lost temple.
-That jungle has danger lurking around every corner. Why should I stick my neck out for them? They didn't pay me for my services.
-They know that you would be taking a GREat risk and could possibly get hurt, but you're the only one with enough knowledge to take them to their destination. I'm sure you'll be amply rewarded.
Get Off Someone's Back: stop bothering someone
-Hey, John. I'm bored. Come on, let's go out and do something.
-Sorry, I'm right in the middle of studying for a physics exam. I won't be able to make it tonight.
-You've been studying for a long time. Why don't you take a break? Come on! Let's go! Forget studying for a while!
-Look! Get off my back! I can't go anywhere!
-OK. I'll stop bothering you only if you promise to let me know the minute you're finished.
Pull Someone's Leg: fool someone
-Hey, Al. I was invited to be a judge for the Miss America Beauty Pageant!
-Oh, really? Come on, you're pulling my leg!
-No, honestly. Do you really think that I'm trying to fool you with a ridiculous story?
-Well, you've told me foolish stories before.
-I can assure you that this one is for real.
- 【阅读-每日英语】Waste not, want not. 阅读:15 2017-08-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语拿手好戏十四谚语-充满智慧言谈 阅读:11 2017-10-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读Kill Bill 2 阅读:16 2017-09-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】Olympic Village beg... 阅读:16 2017-07-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】与老外面对面“飚英语” 阅读:29 2017-03-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】老外聊天气都是这么聊的 阅读:56 2016-10-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】“七大姑八大姨”英文怎么说？ 阅读:123 2016-09-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】美文：艾米莉·迪金森《幸福的小石头》 阅读:27 2016-10-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】至少潘金莲没有动武大郎的烧饼 阅读:42 2016-10-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】你从未听过的两个英语笑话 阅读:75 2016-09-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】“你明白了吗？”变着花样问！ 阅读:30 2016-10-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】具有“异曲同工之妙”的中英文谚语 阅读:31 2016-09-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】巧记英语单词,想忘掉也难! 阅读:47 2017-03-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】你绝对没有见过的创意鞋子shoes 阅读:60 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】画画竟如此简单？带你认识魔性的抽象表现主义 阅读:57 2016-11-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】9条老祖宗留下来的看天谚语，这样讲给老外听 阅读:40 2016-11-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】又到了长肉的季节：一起用英语来说说... 阅读:18 2016-10-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】趣味十足的英语文化小常识 阅读:70 2016-09-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读Anlnterview... 阅读:13 2017-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】做到这18点，你的生活更快乐！ 阅读:29 2016-10-05
- 【听力-选举】Volunteering for ... 阅读:147 2016-12-18
- 【听力-旅行】Talking to a Flig... 阅读:22 2017-04-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】如果爱因斯坦要做ppt，他会这样.... 阅读:22 2016-10-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】感人励志的生活语录：实现不了目标的... 阅读:25 2016-10-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】Lookers-on see mo... 阅读:31 2017-05-16
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】社交常用英语表达：应付尴尬场面 阅读:72 2016-02-19
- 【听力-房屋】Life Was Hard 生活是艰难的 阅读:15 2017-06-05
- 【阅读-日常口语】经典英文广告词 阅读:77 2016-02-11
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语单词有勇无谋的故事 阅读:36 2016-02-19
- 【听力-买房子】Making an Offer t... 阅读:19 2017-03-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】“I Dunno LoL”这句话看... 阅读:33 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】我学 阅读:13 2017-03-10
1A: Excuse me, could you help me pick out a lotion?B: Sure, what is the problem?A: I got poison oak while hiking, and...
Breakfast 早餐 fast是“斋戒”、“封斋”的意思，如伊斯兰教每年有一个月为“斋月”，“把斋”的人在这个月白天一天不进饮食。只是在一早一晚，即两头不见太阳的时候进餐，斋月满时为“开斋”，是伊斯兰教徒十分隆重...
1.Yesterday Once More, The Carpenters 英文初学者必听曲目!只要懂英文，没有不懂它的!它在中国的影响力实在太大了!男...
花言巧语，有时候真的是挺好听的，不过，可是要说对了时机、说对了人才能收到预期的效果。这一次我们就来看看"花言巧语"在英语里怎么说。 1．Butter someone up以花言巧语讨好某人 学英语要敢于开口。最...
Attitude is foundational to success. A generous person with a positive attitude will thrive. If you change your attit...
乔·科望: 我如何战胜怯场Joe Kowan:How I Beat Stage Fright人类那精准的恐惧感曾在远古时期大有裨益，帮助人们集中注意力避免...
1A: Did you need help with something?B: I don't know where to get my ballot.A: I can help you with that.B: How ca...
The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The KindFantasy Mirrored In History Fifty years ago when Tolkien wrote the book ...
A: I'm going to be so late. This bus driver is driving so slowly.B: Where are you in a hurry to?A: I have doctor&...
1. What do you do for a living? (你以什么为生？)2. I'm with the Bank of China.3. What position do you hold? (你的职位是什么？)4. I'm...
Any day will do? 哪一天都可以？ Any messages for me? 有我的留言吗？Are you by yourself? 你一个人来吗？All right with you? 你没有问题吧？Are ...
科学家称其实不用脑洞大开，多练习就好! Earlier this week, what looked like a very basic childr...
By their very definition,black holes are 1)objects which are not supposed to 2)emit anything .It therefore seemed tha...