Jump Down Someone's Throat: become angry with someone
-That's it, GREg! You'd better not come in after midnight again tonight!
-I know, dad. You don't have to jump down my throat! I told you that I'd make it home around 11:30. I don't intend to be late!
-Well, you've said that before and in you come at 2:30 in the morning. You can't blame me for getting angry and scolding you. I've got good reason.
Play It by Ear: improvise as one goes along
-Let's go to the movies, aGREed?
-Sure. And what'll we do after that?
-Oh, I don't' know. Let's play it by ear.
-Well, I would like to have a more definite plan of action.
-Don't be like that. It's always more fun not knowing what to expect and deciding what to do as we go along.
Stick Out One's Neck: take a risk
-How come they're asking me to act as their guide through the jungle?
-Evidently they think you're the only one who can lead them to the lost temple.
-That jungle has danger lurking around every corner. Why should I stick my neck out for them? They didn't pay me for my services.
-They know that you would be taking a GREat risk and could possibly get hurt, but you're the only one with enough knowledge to take them to their destination. I'm sure you'll be amply rewarded.
Get Off Someone's Back: stop bothering someone
-Hey, John. I'm bored. Come on, let's go out and do something.
-Sorry, I'm right in the middle of studying for a physics exam. I won't be able to make it tonight.
-You've been studying for a long time. Why don't you take a break? Come on! Let's go! Forget studying for a while!
-Look! Get off my back! I can't go anywhere!
-OK. I'll stop bothering you only if you promise to let me know the minute you're finished.
Pull Someone's Leg: fool someone
-Hey, Al. I was invited to be a judge for the Miss America Beauty Pageant!
-Oh, really? Come on, you're pulling my leg!
-No, honestly. Do you really think that I'm trying to fool you with a ridiculous story?
-Well, you've told me foolish stories before.
-I can assure you that this one is for real.
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语笑话：三只乌龟 阅读:44 2016-10-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】学会这几句，让老外感觉到你的伶牙俐齿 阅读:25 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】你常挂嘴边的“惊呆了”，英语里原来这样说！ 阅读:26 2016-10-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何通过看原版电影学英语 阅读:22 2017-05-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语口语练习，这些方法一定不可少！ 阅读:34 2016-08-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】心静时要听的歌——Jar of Hea... 阅读:34 2016-09-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】哥们儿， 有女朋友了吗？ 阅读:15 2016-10-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】励志毕业演讲：永远不要因为“是女人”而放弃 阅读:47 2016-09-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】God has no blind eyes 阅读:9 2017-08-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】Life is full of ups... 阅读:29 2017-06-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】不带任何脏字的英语骂人法 阅读:15 2017-08-22
- 【阅读-每日英语】“太惊讶”居然有这么多英语表达法！ 阅读:86 2016-08-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】Liu Xiang says he f... 阅读:26 2017-06-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】林心如一顿吃七份盒饭，陈妍希晒泳照 阅读:29 2016-10-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】五花八门的卡 阅读:51 2016-09-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读ALETTERTOTHEY... 阅读:2 2017-09-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】30句特别地道的口语说法，值得收藏！ 阅读:25 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】Just Sitting in f... 阅读:9 2017-08-14
- 【听力-旅店】Calling to Report... 阅读:16 2017-06-05
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】韩国实弹射击训练live-fire... 阅读:67 2016-03-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】知己和普通朋友，怎么区分？ 阅读:25 2016-10-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】Caution is the pa... 阅读:35 2017-06-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】这些萌萌哒英语习语，你也能快速掌握 阅读:15 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】没有老外交流，怎么练口语？ 阅读:83 2016-08-16
一、蔬菜string bean 四季豆pea 豌豆green soy bean 毛豆soybean sprout 黄豆芽mung bean sprout ...
1、懂事 人们经常会把这句话翻译成 “know things.” 这是字面上的翻译，没错，但是含义上的偏差很大。 懂事这个概念很难在美语中直接翻译。它...
A: My car was stolen.B: I am so sorry to hear that.A: Did you happen to see anything suspicious yesterday?B: Well, I ...
The Making of Catwoman CAT-TALE Halle Berry: Patience Phillips is a woman who is very intelligent, very talented. She...
A: Can you teach me to swim?B: Why don't you take a class instead?A: Swim classes are embarrassing.B: I suppose I...
A: Excuse me. Is your name John?B: Yes, and you must be Karen.A: I am. I'm sorry this is the first blind date I...
Three Men in a Boat三人同舟Three men were sitting on a park bench. The one in the...