疯狂英语精华Life Chatting Room
Life Chatting Room
Bill: Want to go down to dinner, John? The line is going to close in about half an hour, and I’m hungry.
John: What time is it?
Bill: Six o’clock. You had better go now if you want to eat. They’re serving fish cakes and baked potatoes.
John: I don’t think I’ll go.
Bill: Oh, come on. Get yourself a big salad if you don’t want fish. The 1)dessert will probably be good.
John: No, thanks Bill. I think that I’ll keep studying for a while, and then maybe I’ll order a pizza later.
Bill: 2)Suit yourself. Do you have a test or something?
John: Yeah. It’s not until Monday but I want to go home this weekend.
Bill: 3)Lucky you. Two days of home cooking.
John: Sure be the cafeteria this place.
Bill: True. Well, knock on my door if you decide to get that pizza later.
John: Why? Aren’t you going to eat either?
Bill: Sure. But I’ll be hungry again by ten.
woman: What topic did you finally choose for the 4)term paper for your 5)World Economics class?
Man: After tossing around a few ideas, I finally settled on the difference between Japanese and American styles of management.
woman: Hmm. Why did you choose a topic like that?
Man: Well, I’m planning to study Business in 6)graduate school next year. After that, I hope to start my company.
woman: Isn’t that a 7)coincidence! I’m doing a paper on how Japanese management styles are being adapted by American firms for my 8)Comparative Cultures class.
Man: Why don’t we sit down and share some of our sources after we’ve been to the library?
woman: GREat idea! Should we meet at the 9)snack bar next Wednesday at this time?
Man: That’s fine with me. See you then.
Professor: You’re probably wondering why I asked you to come see me.
Student: Yes, I am. I have been a little worried about it all morning.
Professor: Oh, I should have told you more when I saw you after class, but there were so many students waiting to ask questions. Jean, I wanted to tell you that I have nominated you for the 10)outstanding student award.
Professor: You are clearly the best student in my class, and, as I understand, in the rest of your classes as well. I have talked with your other professors. You see, in order to be chosen for the award, you need to have three professors sign the 11)nomination. Dr. Jones, Dr. Harvey, and Dr. Small were more than glad to do so.
Student: This is such a surprise. I can hardly 12)take it in.
Professor: Well, I think you have a very good chance to win it.
Student: Dr. Foley, the fact that you 13)think highly enough of me to make the nomination is more than enough for me. I’m really happy just to be nominated.
Professor: You 14)deserve it. The 15)selection committee will be calling you to set up an interview. Call me when they do, and I’ll meet with you to give you some suggestions on how to prepare. If you get the award, you’ll receive five hundred dollars along with the 16)certificate of honor.
Student: Thank you so much, Dr. Foley. I’m really honored.
1) dessert [di5zE:t] n. 甜品
2) Suit yourself 自便
3) Lucky you 你真走运
4) term paper 学期论文
5) World Economics 世界经济
6) graduate school 研究生院
7) coincidence [kEu5insidEns] n. 巧合的事
8) Comparative Cultures比较文化
9) snack bar小吃店
10) outstanding student award杰出学生奖
11) nomination [nCmi5neiFEn] n. 提名
12) take it in 接受，相信
13) think highly…of 非常看重
14) deserve 应得，值得
15) selection committee 选拔委员会
16) certificate of honor 荣誉证书
疯狂英语精华Life Chatting Room
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语拿手好戏卡7 阅读:12 2017-09-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】牛！5分钟带你看完37部莎士比亚神作 阅读:16 2016-11-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】Business is business 阅读:26 2017-06-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】电影中的那些经典演讲片段，感动无数影迷！ 阅读:23 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】【英文歌曲】Sam Smith柔情演唱... 阅读:34 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】太“happy”了！ 阅读:30 2016-08-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】孩子们最想听到的一句鼓励的话是什么？ 阅读:19 2016-10-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】【实用英语】怎样傲娇地用英文说你不在乎？ 阅读:61 2016-10-30
- 【阅读-每日英语】根据星座起的最新最好听的英文网名 阅读:15 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】TED 你存钱的能力跟你用的语言有关？ 阅读:16 2016-10-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】商务英语阅读技巧报刊词汇 阅读:9 2017-03-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】Every day is not Su... 阅读:77 2017-06-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】There are spots in ... 阅读:23 2017-05-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】我不浪漫，只用10件小事告诉你，我为什么爱他 阅读:16 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】阅读技巧 阅读:14 2017-03-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】爸爸有了新女友，我该对妈妈说什么？ 阅读:19 2016-10-24
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】Columbus ... 阅读:91 2016-11-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】抖森朗读：爱情与友谊【附音频】 阅读:23 2016-10-22
- 【听力-坐公交车】Big Luggage 大件行李 阅读:21 2016-03-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】4分钟搞定《小星星》，学个拿手歌 阅读:25 2016-10-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】英文笑话：一分钟一块钱 阅读:58 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】“老天保佑”英文怎么说？ 阅读:62 2016-08-19
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】The John ... 阅读:28 2017-02-02
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“latte factor”拿铁因素 阅读:21 2016-02-21
A: You got a letter in the mail.A: 你的信。B: Give it to me.B: 给我看看。A: What is it...
A: I just read your proposal.B: What did you think about it?A: You definitely have some good ideas.B: Well, I worked ...
1. I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I am perfect.我是一个无名小卒，没有人是完美的...
A: Tiger is the greatest golfer in the world.B: You can say that again.A: But I’m worried about Tiger.B: Why is that?...
1A: Are you okay?B: No.A: What's wrong?B: I got robbed!A: By who?B: Some guy on the street just mugged me.A: Are ...
开头万能公式一：名人名言 有人问了，“我没有记住名言，怎么办?尤其是英语名言?”，很好办：编! 【点评】 请勿用此方法，很可能会被看穿的! 原理...