疯狂英语阅读TV Talk Show Billionairess On Show
TV Talk Show Billionairess On Show
Oprah Gail Winfrey, born Kosciusko, Mississippi, January 29th 1954, former Miss Fire Prevention, and Miss Black Nashville 1971, now she's the queen of daytime television, a multi-media 1)mogul and billionairess, an enviable title that most celebs can't claim. Sounds like she's got it all. Now, but the Patti Sellers of Fortune magazine sat down with Oprah, and tells us, she wasn't exactly born with a silver spoon in her mouth.
Sellers: She GREw up in
The fact is, she didn't even own her first pair of shoes until age six...hard to imagine. But, what Oprah lacked in wealth, she made up for in ambition—a star quality, according to Ken Baker, at Us Weekly.
Baker: So, she starts off making a hundred bucks a week when she's seventeen, working for a radio station. Just two years later, Oprah's already the youngest anchor in television. She’s making fifteen 2)grand a year, which at the time, wasn't so bad.
Fifteen thousand dollars! Hey, that's less than one percent of what she makes now. Anyway, she made headlines and that's when the
Sellers: She was 3)recruited to
Hmm. A 5)backhanded compliment? No. He meant Oprah was someone everyone could relate to. Well, it worked. Almost overnight, AM Chicago became The Oprah Winfrey Show... and the ratings 6)went through the roof. So, now she's a local celebrity... with a taste for the finer things in life.
Sellers: ...gets the AM Chicago deal, she's making $
While all this is going on, Oprah starts her own production company called "Harpo." Yeah! That's Oprah, spelled backwards. You got it. And now she's primed to make a sweet chunk of change off the syndication deal. The very first season in syndication, the show made a hundred and twenty-five million dollars. And Oprah took home 25% of the gross.
Sellers: ...which means that Oprah earned an estimated thirty-one million dollars between 1987 and 1988. This made her the highest paid performer in show biz.
Now she's 8)sitting pretty as the first woman in television to ever produce and host her own television show. The Oprah Winfrey Show has turned "Harpo Inc." into a multi-million dollar company...and Oprah's become a national 9)phenomenon, according to Lynette Rice at Entertainment Weekly.
Rice: You know the talk show has done, what The Oprah Winfrey Show has done...Twenty-two million people tune in to watch this woman talk every day. And when she talks, people listen.
Not only do they listen...they read.
Sellers: She started the Oprah Book Club. Since 1996, forty-six books, each of the books that she's mentioned, have become an instant best seller.
Women and men...although some won't admit it, can't seem to get enough of the daytime 10)diva, who is well on her way to becoming one of the richest women in the world. Yes, thanks to some brilliant financial planning.
Sellers: She met a man named Jeff Jacobs, who was an entertainment lawyer in
Now, I don't mean to be a buzzkill here, but not everything Oprah touches turns to gold. True, true. She did lose a bundle on the film "Beloved." That hurts for a minute! But, Oprah 11)bounced back in a big way with O.
Sellers: In 2000, her magazine was named the best launch in history, with a circulation of two point five million and it makes over $150 million a year.
So she's making money 12)hand over fist. Right. Today, roughly three hundred million a year for her television show. Add to that everything else that falls under the umbrella of Harpo Inc, TV movies, O magazine, and her Oxygen Cable Network...all told, her multi-media empire now generates $575 million a year...which puts her personal wealth in the billions. Wow—!
1) mogul [5mEu^l] n. 显要人物；有权势的人
2) grand [^rAnd] n. <美俚>一千美元，一千
3) recruit [ri5kru:t] v. 征募，招收
4) glamorous [5^lAmErEs] a.富有魅力的，迷人的
5) backhanded compliment 貌似恭维实为挖苦的话
6) go through the roof （物价等）暴涨，飞涨
7) mint [mint] a. 最新的，最近的
8) sit pretty 处于有利地位；过舒服日子
9) phenomenon [fi5nCminEn] n. 现象
10) diva [5di:vE] n. 歌剧中的首席女主角，这里比喻奥普拉的主导地位
11) bounce back 卷土重来，（遭受挫折后）很快恢复
12) hand over fist 迅速大量地
疯狂英语阅读TV Talk Show Billionairess On Show
- 【阅读-每日英语】Its never too late ... 阅读:34 2017-06-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】寻找突破口语学习技巧 阅读:17 2017-05-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】日常生活英语单词，你会几个？ 阅读:14 2016-10-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】李阳疯狂英语---语法突破两百句3 阅读:6 2017-09-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】6个单词、1句话，就是一个道不尽的故事 阅读:24 2016-10-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】30句特别地道的口语说法，值得收藏！ 阅读:25 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】【中英双语阅读】如何开启快乐的一天？ 阅读:68 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何掌握英语写作技巧 阅读:18 2017-03-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语学习的六大原则 阅读:24 2017-03-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】测试｜你有"资讯癖"吗？ 阅读:51 2016-11-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】驾照考试大家都朝着满分考的吗？ 阅读:18 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】通过词缀认识单词全 阅读:47 2017-03-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】形容你的男神，用哪个词最给力？ 阅读:228 2016-10-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语精华Mini-Forum Th... 阅读:37 2017-08-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】美丽的鱼儿人人爱，那各种鱼的英文名称咋说？ 阅读:23 2016-10-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】Even Homer sometime... 阅读:58 2017-06-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】第一句就震惊你！美国超震撼短片：《梦想》 阅读:184 2016-09-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】常用口语缩略词，这个必须收藏噢！ 阅读:18 2016-10-17
- 【听力-家庭事务】Be Yourself 靠自己 阅读:36 2017-06-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】用英文介绍的八个事实，让你目瞪口呆！ 阅读:32 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】人们生气时爱说的99句话 阅读:18 2017-02-20
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】实用英语单词：购物杀价十句话 阅读:27 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】五花八门的卡 阅读:51 2016-09-23
- 【听力-日常生活】A Community Tree ... 阅读:22 2017-06-20
韩国秋夕Chusok, also known as the Korean Thanksgiving or Mid-Autumn Festival, is ...
1A: Was there an accident on the freeway today?B: You haven't heard about it?A: No, do you know what happened?B: ...
英语里有许多非常好玩的单词。它们的词意和表明上看起来的完全没有关系。都有哪些个怪词，让我们赶快来瞧一瞧。There is no egg in eggpla...
among the rest 在其中 bad sailor 容易晕船的人 block-buster 风行的事物 busy-body 爱管闲事的人 co...
Sunset Boulevard, one of the world famous streets, is located in the city of Los Angeles, and runs through the Holl...
请问，出租车站在哪里？Excuse me, where is the cab stand?出海关之后，会进入机场大厅。在问讯处（Information d...
A: What's for dinner?B: I should be asking you that.A: What? Why do you say that?B: You're old enough to cook...