My Life in China
LiXin: Michael, as our vice-Premier Li Lanqing wrote appreciatively, “ Comrade Crook in his history of more than 50 years in China, devoted his energy to China's revolution and construction, contributing outstandingly to training talents for our diplomatic, foreign trade and educational fronts.” We can see that your father was drawn to China by the Chinese revolution, while you stay in China as well. Could you talk about your experience and the things that attract you in China?
Mr. Michael Crook: Yes. I think that I didn't come to China for the revolution. I was born here. I went through very many events in recent Chinese history. China has changed so much. I think it is really remarkable and it is a GREat privilege to have the opportunity to live through so many historical events. I prefer excitement and I think China is the place to come for excitement. For example, I first went to England when I was six or seven years old and after that I visited England again when I was twelve, fifteen, about twenties, thirties and forties. I felt that I could go back to the same neighbourhood where my grandma has been living for the last forty or fifty years. While I remember the road outside Beijing Foreign Studies University it was a dirt road. And the dirt road then became the paved road; then it became a wider road and now it is a two levels multi-lane highway. All these happened just in my lifetime but I'm not even old yet.
Li:Your parents are educators, writers and old devoted friends of our country and our people. Mr. David Crook in particular, he spent a life of dedication. I couldn't help wondering: when you were a child, were they very strict with you?
Michael: No, actually they weren't. I think that the Chinese notion of education is rather different from the western notion of education. In Chinese education, I could think of many sayings like “ Talented students are trained by strict teacher.” And folk wisdom of “ Beating means love, scolding means affection.” And so on. The idea is that pain and suffering are necessary to get good result. In English we have “ the carrot and the stick” . I think in Chinese tradition, a lot of stress was made on the stick. Well, I feel that the carrot is much more effective than the stick. Encouragement is better than scolding and criticism.
I think that my parents are both good educators. They don't use the stick. It was much more positive encouragement and more freedom. They would discuss things with us reasonably. They treat us more or less as equals. My father used to say that he didn't believe in the generation gap, such as, parents don't understand their children and children don't understand their parents. Why, if you don't communicate, if every time your children tell you something they truly believe and their innermost truthful thoughts, you immediately scold them, then of course they stop talking to you and won't tell you the truth.
Li: Do you have kids? As their father, do you think that you'll let them choose where they are going to stay?
Michael: Yes. I have three kids. They are all grown now. All three of my kids live in America by their own choice. I'm living in China by my choice. I chose to live here and they chose to live there. I can't decide for them. I would be very happy if one or more of them were to decide to come and live in China. I would enjoy having my children close by. All three of my children have talked about coming to China. It's a matter of when.
Li: We do admire people fluent in two languages. As I was told you were brought up bilingually, right?
Michael: Not actually. I didn't begin bilingually. I wasn't brought up bilingually from birth, for example in a mix-marriage. That was not the case in my family.When I was young, the home language was Chinese. So I learned Chinese before I learned English.
Li: Do you have any good experience to share with the large number of language learners?
Michael: Well, I think first of all, it's a wonderful thing to be bilingual. You are able to communicate directly with people from different cultures. I would offer some tips according to my own experience. First, I think that having two languages the best thing for me is just for use. Then I think learning a foreign language, practice should come before theory. I know people who get complicated books about foreign language and study the grammar and so on. I personally think that it's a waste of time certainly at the beginning. I would stress just talk, talk a lot. It doesn't matter if you make mistakes.
- 【阅读-每日英语】常见词“free”到底怎么译？ 阅读:94 2016-10-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】暖心小漫画告诉你幸福是什么 阅读:18 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】给你的口语加点“爱” 阅读:27 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】商务谈判最常使用的10个疯狂英语 阅读:24 2017-10-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】30句特别地道的口语说法，值得收藏！ 阅读:31 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语中的各种“想不开” 阅读:15 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】Its never too late ... 阅读:37 2017-06-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】4个简单短语，搞定英语请假 阅读:37 2016-10-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读Jeju-doWorldC... 阅读:13 2017-10-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】英美对同一事物的不同用词，你能说出几个？ 阅读:81 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】14个生活小贴士，让你的生活充满正能量 阅读:115 2016-11-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】Torch relay in Guiy... 阅读:24 2017-07-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】15条“箴言”，会毁掉你的生活！ 阅读:16 2016-10-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】纽扣丢到哪里了？ 阅读:31 2016-10-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】接到礼物了，英语该说点啥？ 阅读:51 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】形容你的男神，用哪个词最给力？ 阅读:249 2016-10-18
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“微波炉时间” microwave... 阅读:58 2016-02-23
- 【听力-在餐厅】Ordering Drinks 点饮料 阅读:28 2017-03-02
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】各种各样的俚语 阅读:111 2016-02-19
- 【听力-搬进公寓】Locked Out 门被反锁了 阅读:14 2017-10-21
- 【听力-旅店】Calling to Report... 阅读:17 2017-06-05
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】细说英语单词：bucket list 阅读:22 2016-02-21
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“haha point”笑点 阅读:39 2016-02-23
- 【听力-旅店】Asking the Concie... 阅读:16 2017-06-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】这么多“dog”英语句子，却跟狗狗... 阅读:32 2016-10-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】英国人最喜欢说的口语 阅读:24 2016-10-11
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】 Septembe... 阅读:46 2017-02-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】童话里的七个小矮人英文名都叫啥？ 阅读:52 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】TED:爱上一个人和与一个人恋爱有啥不同 阅读:23 2016-10-27
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“几年级学生”英文怎么说 阅读:28 2016-02-19
- 【听力-社交聚会】Gossiping 八卦、闲言碎语 阅读:22 2017-05-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】生活中的爆笑事：都是习语惹的祸 阅读:25 2016-10-25
大量的转移钱款时，支票是一个比较保险的办法。下面是一些关于支票的常用句型，注意看看哦！ I'd like to know whether I can cash a cheque here. 这儿能兑换支票吗？ Will you ple...
A: What is your job?你是做什么工作的？B: I'm a teacher.我是一名教师。A: What grade do you teach?你教几年级呢？B: I teach 9th graders.我教9...
每个女孩子都梦想着有一天，她的白马王子会出现，从此带她走进幸福生活。你知道"白马王子"怎么说吗？Mr. Right 是个什么样的人？下文将为你一一道来。 1. Technically speaking, he is...
Apple has released the next generation of the iPhone at its annual event in S...
A: Let's stop for a while. I need a break and some water.B: This trail is hard to climb.A: Especially on a hot da...
poet laureate 桂冠诗人；享誉世界的诗人 在古希腊罗马时代，桂冠是用月桂树枝编成的，用来奖给杰出的诗人和凯旋的胜利者。在英国王室，御用诗人被称为桂冠诗（poet laureate），他们领取王室薪俸，在特定场...
1. Having a disease or health emergency梦到患某种疾病或遇到健康危机This nightmare could ref...
存钱对中国的老百姓来说可是一件很重要的事，似乎只有把钱存在银行里，才能感到安心。这次我们就来看看有关存钱与利息的表达。 How much do you want to deposit with us? 存多少？ How much d...
对话附有音频，点击此处>>>Todd: Norm, do you like to sing?托德：诺姆，你喜欢唱歌吗?Norm: I w...
A: Poetry sucks.B: I don't know anyone who likes it.A: Some of it is okay, I guess.B: Yes, the poems that rhyme a...
1. I can't make it at that time. 我脱不开身啊。 2. I'd love to,but I am b...