My Life in China
LiXin: Michael, as our vice-Premier Li Lanqing wrote appreciatively, “ Comrade Crook in his history of more than 50 years in China, devoted his energy to China's revolution and construction, contributing outstandingly to training talents for our diplomatic, foreign trade and educational fronts.” We can see that your father was drawn to China by the Chinese revolution, while you stay in China as well. Could you talk about your experience and the things that attract you in China?
Mr. Michael Crook: Yes. I think that I didn't come to China for the revolution. I was born here. I went through very many events in recent Chinese history. China has changed so much. I think it is really remarkable and it is a GREat privilege to have the opportunity to live through so many historical events. I prefer excitement and I think China is the place to come for excitement. For example, I first went to England when I was six or seven years old and after that I visited England again when I was twelve, fifteen, about twenties, thirties and forties. I felt that I could go back to the same neighbourhood where my grandma has been living for the last forty or fifty years. While I remember the road outside Beijing Foreign Studies University it was a dirt road. And the dirt road then became the paved road; then it became a wider road and now it is a two levels multi-lane highway. All these happened just in my lifetime but I'm not even old yet.
Li:Your parents are educators, writers and old devoted friends of our country and our people. Mr. David Crook in particular, he spent a life of dedication. I couldn't help wondering: when you were a child, were they very strict with you?
Michael: No, actually they weren't. I think that the Chinese notion of education is rather different from the western notion of education. In Chinese education, I could think of many sayings like “ Talented students are trained by strict teacher.” And folk wisdom of “ Beating means love, scolding means affection.” And so on. The idea is that pain and suffering are necessary to get good result. In English we have “ the carrot and the stick” . I think in Chinese tradition, a lot of stress was made on the stick. Well, I feel that the carrot is much more effective than the stick. Encouragement is better than scolding and criticism.
I think that my parents are both good educators. They don't use the stick. It was much more positive encouragement and more freedom. They would discuss things with us reasonably. They treat us more or less as equals. My father used to say that he didn't believe in the generation gap, such as, parents don't understand their children and children don't understand their parents. Why, if you don't communicate, if every time your children tell you something they truly believe and their innermost truthful thoughts, you immediately scold them, then of course they stop talking to you and won't tell you the truth.
Li: Do you have kids? As their father, do you think that you'll let them choose where they are going to stay?
Michael: Yes. I have three kids. They are all grown now. All three of my kids live in America by their own choice. I'm living in China by my choice. I chose to live here and they chose to live there. I can't decide for them. I would be very happy if one or more of them were to decide to come and live in China. I would enjoy having my children close by. All three of my children have talked about coming to China. It's a matter of when.
Li: We do admire people fluent in two languages. As I was told you were brought up bilingually, right?
Michael: Not actually. I didn't begin bilingually. I wasn't brought up bilingually from birth, for example in a mix-marriage. That was not the case in my family.When I was young, the home language was Chinese. So I learned Chinese before I learned English.
Li: Do you have any good experience to share with the large number of language learners?
Michael: Well, I think first of all, it's a wonderful thing to be bilingual. You are able to communicate directly with people from different cultures. I would offer some tips according to my own experience. First, I think that having two languages the best thing for me is just for use. Then I think learning a foreign language, practice should come before theory. I know people who get complicated books about foreign language and study the grammar and so on. I personally think that it's a waste of time certainly at the beginning. I would stress just talk, talk a lot. It doesn't matter if you make mistakes.
- 【阅读-每日英语】不要愁眉苦脸，乐观些！ 阅读:61 2016-08-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】电视破坏了友谊和家庭？ 阅读:6 2017-12-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】“凑份子”的英文怎么说？Whip-ro... 阅读:74 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】霉霉抖森你们这是闹哪样？正经报纸都开始... 阅读:148 2016-11-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】我对承诺的看法MY VIEW ON S... 阅读:17 2018-01-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】造词这种事，你和莎士比亚比太逊了！ 阅读:39 2016-10-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】学会这几句，让老外感觉到你的伶牙俐齿 阅读:31 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读THESTORIESOFROME 阅读:21 2017-09-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】盘点十二星座都怎么吃？（双语） 阅读:39 2016-09-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】A light heart lives... 阅读:24 2017-06-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】神回复：旗帜上为什么不能有漂亮女人？ 阅读:35 2016-10-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】当老外玩起星座主题的彩妆... 每一个... 阅读:32 2016-11-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】A snow year, a rich... 阅读:52 2017-07-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读NoMilkToday 阅读:17 2017-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】成为一枚资深的吃货，要经历的历练 阅读:18 2016-11-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】Think carefully bef... 阅读:81 2017-06-29
- 【听力-学校生活】Hit and Run 棒球（打了... 阅读:18 2017-01-28
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】实用英语口语：常用句（2） 阅读:35 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】社交常用英语表达：应付尴尬场面 阅读:81 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】老外直言如何让人以为你英语很棒 阅读:26 2017-05-20
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语中“friendiligenc... 阅读:29 2016-02-20
- 【听力-日常生活】英语听力会话34 遇到麻烦时怎么说 阅读:47 2017-09-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】Pain past is p... 阅读:28 2017-05-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读The Making ... 阅读:26 2017-09-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】这样做，拥有自信满满的春天！ 阅读:52 2016-08-05
- 【听力-犯罪】Being Set Free 无罪释放 阅读:46 2017-07-25
- 【听力-新邻居】Enrolling a Child... 阅读:8 2017-02-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】Love never ends b... 阅读:35 2017-07-03
- 【听力-日常生活】No Time for Rhyme... 阅读:8 2016-10-23
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语单词何为教育的故事 阅读:27 2016-02-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】艺术家的世界 阅读:25 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】Is Failure a Bad ... 阅读:22 2017-12-28
很多同学看了这个标题发现看不懂，其实这是一句老美经常在网上聊天的时候用的一个缩略方式! Dunno: 不知道，是I don't know的缩略形...
韩国政府近日修订法律提高福利待遇，规定配偶的产假从无薪3天转为带薪3天，如有必要，最长可以请5天假，其中2天是无薪假。这意味着刚当爸爸的员工可以享受更多的“父亲假”。 请看新华社的报道： South Korea...
A: My car is dirty.B: Why don't you wash it?A: That's what I'm going to do.B: Are you going to wash it yo...
A: Hello, is this Mr. Smith? I'm Mrs. Jones.B: Hello, Mrs. Jones. Did you get my message?A: Yes, I did, I'm r...
A: I lost my new pen.A: 我的笔不见了。B: Where did you lose it?B: 丢哪里了?A: I don'...
A: Excuse me, but I'd like to make an appointment for next week.B: I can help with that. Did you try doing it ove...
今天我们要学习的每日一句英语是：It's Your Turn to Whistle Nick went to see grandmother with his father. In the train Nick often put h...
In the United States someone legally becomes an adult when they turn 18 years old. At 18, U.S. citizens can vote. T...
1. Take a dump 上大号 A: Would you mind closing the door? I'm trying to take a dump here. 你可不可以把门关起来啊？我正在上大号。 B: Well, l...
场景：对不起！ I'm sorry!如何道歉 对不起。 Sorry! ...
A: Are you wearing those shoes with your suit?B: Yes. Is there something wrong with that?A: Well, they are very dirty...
I Don’t Want to Walk HomeTom is a very old man. After dinner, he likes walkin...
中国人英语听说的常见困惑，很多都是从汉语习惯中来的。比如 1. 英语有大口型音，汉语无，所以汉语人的大口形音不经训练发音很难到位。练习的初期一个普遍的心理是，嘴张那么大说话多别扭呀！ 2. 英语元音有长短音的区别，汉语没有那么明显...
1. Shoot (rise) to fame Shoot to fame或者rise to fame都指“一举成名”、“迅速走红”。 例：The ...
通过词根记单词4:ad- ad-加在在单词或词根前，表示"做…，加强…" adapt适应（ad+apt能力→有适应能力） adept熟练的（ad+ept能力→有做事能力→熟练的） adopt收养；采纳（ad+opt选择→选出来→...