Beijings Olympic Village Court opens
Beijing's Olympic Village Court opens
BEIJING -- The Olympic Games Village People's Local Court, the only law facility bearing the Olympic title in the country, opened here on Wednesday.
Located in the Olympic Village in the city's northeast, the building is named in accordance with the Supreme People's Court's rule that courts should be named for their location.
During the Games, about 70 percent of cases related to the Olympics will be heard in the building, which is the seventh commissary court of Chaoyang District People's Court. The district is home to most of the Games' venues.
The new court will mainly hear civil cases, such as those for house rental, labor disputes and personal injury. Also handled here are cases for foreigners' personal injury, property damage and labor dispute caused by activities of the Games, tourism, accommodations, shopping, transport, dining and entertainment, said Qian Yixin, the court's chief judge.
The court was established in June 2007 and had operated nearby in a contemporary office near the compound built for the Asian Games Village in 1990.
Its new location is less than one km away from the apartments of the Olympic athletes in the east, facing the Badaling Expressway in the west. The new court is equipped with 11 courtrooms -- seven small-sized, three middle-sized and one large.
Covering a judicial area of 57.22 square km, the court's territory includes the Bird's Nest, the Water Cube, the Olympic GREen, the Olympic Village and many hotels, among others.
Most of the Olympic-related civil cases would be heard here, including many related to foreign affairs. To better help the procedures, all guides and signs are in both Chinese and English, Qian said.
A Foreign-Interests-Related Courtroom with a 27-seat gallery is one of its features. It is installed with a three-track simultaneous interpretation system.
Except cases related to national secrets, all proceedings would be open according to the country's laws, Qian said. In total, the 11 courtrooms have seating for 247 people, she added.
The Accessible Courtroom also provides facilities and toilets for the disabled.
Since 2007, the Olympic Village Court had heard 4,772 cases, more than 90 percent of which had been resolved, said Zhang Wen, the People's Court of Chaoyang District deputy president.
As of June, the court had receive 20 cases related to the Olympics, 15 of which had been completed, she said.
IAAF says amputee runner Pistorius too dangerous
PARIS - South Africa's Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee who is hoping to run alongside able-bodied competitors at the Beijing Olympics, was branded a potential danger to other athletes on Monday.
South African Oscar Pistorius warms-up during a training session for the international European Athletics Association (EAA) athletics meeting in Lucerne July 15, 2008. Double amputee Pistorius, who runs with carbon-fibre blades attached to his legs, will try for the third time to reach the Beijing Olympics 400 metres qualification time of 45.95 seconds at the international EAA athletics meeting in Lucerne on Wednesday. [Agencies]
Pierre Weiss, the general secretary of the sport's governing body, the IAAF, believes that if Pistorius, who runs on carbon-fiber blades, takes part in the 4x400m relay, he could be a risk to other runners once they are bunched on the track.
"The decision by CAS (the Court of Arbitration in Sport which allowed Pistorius to compete with able-bodied runners) applies to all athletics events. But if he runs in the pack, there's a risk that he or another athlete will fall."
Pistorius, 21, has been trying to reach the qualifying standard of 45.55 seconds to book a place in the indvidual 400m at the Beijing Olympics. He set his best time of the season of 46.62 seconds in Rome on Friday.
He will try again in Lucerne in Switzerland on Wednesday and hasn't given up hope of making the relay team in China.
"The South Africans have qualified without Pistorius and if they take him they are going to have to remove another relay runner," said Weiss.
"It's a decision that rests with the officials of the federation and the South African Olympic Committee, but we'd prefer that they don't select him for reasons of safety."
Beijings Olympic Village Court opens
- 【阅读-每日英语】Part II 阅读:26 2017-04-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】Christmas Eve and S... 阅读:25 2017-08-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】看电影提高英语水平，只需这三步！ 阅读:27 2016-09-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】令英语达人都抓狂的英语绕口令 阅读:38 2016-10-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】用英语介绍人认识，这些句子少不了！ 阅读:42 2016-10-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】懂得感恩的人会做这10件事 阅读:25 2016-10-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】How Phelps achieves... 阅读:16 2017-06-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】“随便！”英文怎么说？ 阅读:69 2016-10-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何不动声色改变话题？ 阅读:48 2016-06-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】那些年，你有没有这样一个爆笑同桌？ 阅读:42 2016-11-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】著名音乐剧《悲惨世界》插曲欣赏 阅读:18 2016-10-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】最适合贴在书桌前的10句话 阅读:159 2016-11-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】办公室里的抱怨学会怎样用英语发牢骚 阅读:18 2017-04-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】甜蜜七夕，看看哪些表白可以触达她（他）的内心 阅读:27 2016-10-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】包含26个字母的最短的句子 阅读:29 2016-10-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】著名音乐剧《猫》经典插曲《Memory》 阅读:42 2016-10-22
- 【听力-在餐厅】Ordering Main Ent... 阅读:6 2017-02-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】He knows most who... 阅读:15 2017-08-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】十句简单口语，让自己的美语活起来 阅读:34 2016-08-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】我只是在必要的时候才会勇敢 阅读:53 2016-10-20
- 【听力-日常生活】No Time for Rhyme... 阅读:6 2016-10-23
- 【听力-外出就餐】The Long Line Out... 阅读:4 2017-05-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】扫盲帖: 辐射到底是个什么鬼？【附视频】 阅读:40 2016-10-22
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】社区学院1 Com... 阅读:66 2016-11-18
1. Over my dead body 除非我死了、想都别想 例句： There is no way I will let you do that,...
A: How many roommates do you have?你有多少个室友？B: There are five of us in total.我们一共五个人住。A: Wow! Don't you ever fight?...
1. Just wait and see. I won't let you get away with that. 咱们走着瞧。我不会让你得逞...
Oil prices strike record highs above 142 dollarsCrude futures set a new high of just under 143 U.S. dollars a barrel ...
开车的人很头疼的一件事就是开着开着，车子爆胎了，如果可以送到维护部或是叫人过来修还好，如果碰巧前不着村、后不着店，就得自己动手了。今天我们来给大家讲讲"爆胎"和"补胎"怎么说。 1. Ther...
A: What have you done to my hair?B: I did exactly what you told me to do.A: I asked for a light trim, not for a butch...