Beijings Olympic Village Court opens
Beijing's Olympic Village Court opens
BEIJING -- The Olympic Games Village People's Local Court, the only law facility bearing the Olympic title in the country, opened here on Wednesday.
Located in the Olympic Village in the city's northeast, the building is named in accordance with the Supreme People's Court's rule that courts should be named for their location.
During the Games, about 70 percent of cases related to the Olympics will be heard in the building, which is the seventh commissary court of Chaoyang District People's Court. The district is home to most of the Games' venues.
The new court will mainly hear civil cases, such as those for house rental, labor disputes and personal injury. Also handled here are cases for foreigners' personal injury, property damage and labor dispute caused by activities of the Games, tourism, accommodations, shopping, transport, dining and entertainment, said Qian Yixin, the court's chief judge.
The court was established in June 2007 and had operated nearby in a contemporary office near the compound built for the Asian Games Village in 1990.
Its new location is less than one km away from the apartments of the Olympic athletes in the east, facing the Badaling Expressway in the west. The new court is equipped with 11 courtrooms -- seven small-sized, three middle-sized and one large.
Covering a judicial area of 57.22 square km, the court's territory includes the Bird's Nest, the Water Cube, the Olympic GREen, the Olympic Village and many hotels, among others.
Most of the Olympic-related civil cases would be heard here, including many related to foreign affairs. To better help the procedures, all guides and signs are in both Chinese and English, Qian said.
A Foreign-Interests-Related Courtroom with a 27-seat gallery is one of its features. It is installed with a three-track simultaneous interpretation system.
Except cases related to national secrets, all proceedings would be open according to the country's laws, Qian said. In total, the 11 courtrooms have seating for 247 people, she added.
The Accessible Courtroom also provides facilities and toilets for the disabled.
Since 2007, the Olympic Village Court had heard 4,772 cases, more than 90 percent of which had been resolved, said Zhang Wen, the People's Court of Chaoyang District deputy president.
As of June, the court had receive 20 cases related to the Olympics, 15 of which had been completed, she said.
IAAF says amputee runner Pistorius too dangerous
PARIS - South Africa's Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee who is hoping to run alongside able-bodied competitors at the Beijing Olympics, was branded a potential danger to other athletes on Monday.
South African Oscar Pistorius warms-up during a training session for the international European Athletics Association (EAA) athletics meeting in Lucerne July 15, 2008. Double amputee Pistorius, who runs with carbon-fibre blades attached to his legs, will try for the third time to reach the Beijing Olympics 400 metres qualification time of 45.95 seconds at the international EAA athletics meeting in Lucerne on Wednesday. [Agencies]
Pierre Weiss, the general secretary of the sport's governing body, the IAAF, believes that if Pistorius, who runs on carbon-fiber blades, takes part in the 4x400m relay, he could be a risk to other runners once they are bunched on the track.
"The decision by CAS (the Court of Arbitration in Sport which allowed Pistorius to compete with able-bodied runners) applies to all athletics events. But if he runs in the pack, there's a risk that he or another athlete will fall."
Pistorius, 21, has been trying to reach the qualifying standard of 45.55 seconds to book a place in the indvidual 400m at the Beijing Olympics. He set his best time of the season of 46.62 seconds in Rome on Friday.
He will try again in Lucerne in Switzerland on Wednesday and hasn't given up hope of making the relay team in China.
"The South Africans have qualified without Pistorius and if they take him they are going to have to remove another relay runner," said Weiss.
"It's a decision that rests with the officials of the federation and the South African Olympic Committee, but we'd prefer that they don't select him for reasons of safety."
Beijings Olympic Village Court opens
- 【阅读-每日英语】牢记十句话，让你不再走弯路！ 阅读:42 2016-10-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】外企面试必备的面试题目 阅读:46 2017-05-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】与蔬菜【vegatable】相关的英语... 阅读:86 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】【听歌学英语】克里斯蒂娜·佩里：A T... 阅读:76 2016-09-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】心理学家告诉你，如何度过20多岁的人生 阅读:54 2016-11-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】TED演讲：请相信，你可以进步 阅读:115 2016-10-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】感动几亿人的英语美文：有一天 阅读:43 2016-10-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】关于iPhone7，到底值不值得买？ 阅读:84 2016-11-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】这些欧美词汇的典故，你知道吗？ 阅读:69 2016-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】你知道东、西、南、北的来历吗？ 阅读:34 2016-10-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语美文：十问自己 阅读:31 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】以613分的高分 阅读:57 2017-03-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】口译中需要强记的词组 阅读:56 2017-04-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】In unity here is st... 阅读:12 2018-05-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】Ceremony hostesses ... 阅读:39 2017-07-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】李阳疯狂英语---语法突破两百句5 阅读:56 2017-09-23
- 【听力-选举】Speaking Negative... 阅读:31 2016-12-21
- 【听力-外出就餐】Where to Eat 去哪里吃饭 阅读:38 2017-05-05
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语“booth bunny”是什... 阅读:119 2016-02-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】沙画版《泰坦尼克号》：你从未见过的... 阅读:54 2016-10-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】最受欢迎婴儿名，有你喜欢的吗？ 阅读:49 2016-10-10
- 【阅读-每日英语】Gansu leg of Olym... 阅读:42 2017-07-11
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语中怎么形容“分隔两地的爱情” 阅读:128 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读JEANS,THEKE... 阅读:34 2017-09-26
- 【听力-图书馆】Where Is the Book... 阅读:23 2018-03-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】说你是“狗”，是在夸你吗? 阅读:85 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】细说英语单词：“pink powe... 阅读:48 2016-02-21
- 【听力-交通运输】I''m Going to Exp... 阅读:62 2017-08-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】10句教你用英语勾搭人 阅读:49 2016-10-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读Spring 阅读:40 2017-11-15
- 【听力-日常生活】Waking Up for Sch... 阅读:28 2017-10-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】用26个英文字母表达“80后”个性 阅读:19 2018-02-07
A: Do you want to go fishing?B: Yes. That’s a good idea.A: Where do you want to go?B: We can go to the river.A: Or we...
泰勒·斯威夫特(Taylor Swift) 1989年12月13日出生于美国宾夕法尼亚州，美国乡村音乐、流行音乐创作女歌手、演员、慈善家。 2015...
简单就是美用英语怎么说Less is more. 简单就是美。 Less is more
A: Where do you live?B: I live in Pasadena.A: Where is Pasadena?B: It's in California.A: Is it in northern Califo...
大家好，我们今天要学习的每日英语是：Funny story:Who Got the Message?There was a couple who had invited a friend to their home fordinner...
There are many traditional restaurants in the Los Angeles area that offer first-rate dining experiences, but one of...
A: Put your wet clothes into the dryer, please!B: How long should I put them in for?A: Put them on low heat for thirt...
A: Are you married?B: No. I'm divorced.A: When did you get divorced?B: I got divorced two years ago.A: Why did yo...
1A: My amenities bill says that I owe $10 for a movie, but I neverordered one.B: Let's see. It says that you were...
It happened once upon a time that a certain Greek ship bound for Athens was wrecked off the coast close to Piraeus, t...
Rush for Postgraduate Study Nowadays more and more college graduates decide to pursue postgraduate study on the eve o...
1A: Hey, what's up?B: Everything's fine with me. How about you?A: I need your help.B: What do you need?A: Rem...
一、Origin of Halloween (万圣节起源): Halloween is one of the world’s oldest holida...