The carpenter's house 木匠的房子
An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.
The employer was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end his career.
When the carpenter finished his work and the employer came to inspect the house and handed the front-door key to the carpenter. "This is your house," he said, "my gift to you."
What a shock! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so differently. Now he had to live in the home he had built none too well.
So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting rather than acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we do not give the job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the situation we have created and find that we are now living in the house we have built. If we had realized, we would have done it differently.
Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely. It is the only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one day more, that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity. The plaque on the wall says, "Life is a do-it-yourself project." Who could say it more clearly? Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitudes and the choices you make today.
- 【阅读-每日英语】外教谈如何学医学英语 阅读:7 2017-03-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】这些端午节习俗用英语怎么说？ 阅读:108 2016-09-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】当外公给外孙女买了只比她大n倍的巨型泰... 阅读:33 2016-11-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】献给低头族的英语视频：我有422个朋友... 阅读:34 2016-09-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】暖心小漫画告诉你幸福是什么 阅读:16 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】英文笑话：送礼 阅读:33 2016-08-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】穿高跟鞋会增加健康危害（双语） 阅读:21 2016-09-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】【双语】女人的小秘密 阅读:39 2016-06-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】以后连咖啡都不和你喝了，没见过这么不会聊天的 阅读:87 2016-11-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】读完这些英语句子，心都要融化了！ 阅读:29 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】Blood is thicker th... 阅读:32 2017-06-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】逆向听力训练方法 阅读:31 2017-05-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】Leaders pledge to e... 阅读:22 2017-07-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】“没空”英文怎么说？ 阅读:115 2016-08-22
- 【阅读-每日英语】攻破新托福高分的“四大秘方” 阅读:12 2017-03-11
- 【阅读-每日英语】真正的幸福 阅读:61 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】Veterans ... 阅读:94 2016-11-17
- 【听力-购物】Grocery Shopping ... 阅读:6 2017-09-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】没有机会和说英语的人士对话，试试这几招！ 阅读:28 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】Wont Feel Too Lonely 阅读:15 2017-08-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】生活教会我们的8堂人生课 阅读:20 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】【智慧美文】再挖深一点 阅读:34 2016-06-17
- 【听力-购物】Buying a Pan 买笔 阅读:10 2017-09-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何用英语“解释误会”？ 阅读:8 2016-10-15
A man is known by his friends.什么人交什么朋友。A man is known by his friends
1A: Have you had enough time to look over the menu?B: Yes, we are almost ready to order.A: Let me remind you of the s...
A: Were you invited to Barb's birthday party?B: I was. It should be really fun.A: Do you have a date for the part...
1. I hate you the least.我最不讨厌你。2. You're the one I text when I'm drun...
GREat minds think alike.英雄所见略同。Great minds think alike