The carpenter's house 木匠的房子
An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.
The employer was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end his career.
When the carpenter finished his work and the employer came to inspect the house and handed the front-door key to the carpenter. "This is your house," he said, "my gift to you."
What a shock! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so differently. Now he had to live in the home he had built none too well.
So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting rather than acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we do not give the job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the situation we have created and find that we are now living in the house we have built. If we had realized, we would have done it differently.
Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely. It is the only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one day more, that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity. The plaque on the wall says, "Life is a do-it-yourself project." Who could say it more clearly? Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitudes and the choices you make today.
- 【阅读-每日英语】你几乎每天都在说的英语句子 阅读:25 2016-10-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语幽默：带钱上天堂 阅读:97 2016-08-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】Smiling eyes 阅读:30 2017-12-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】说到女人心坎儿的10句名言 阅读:67 2016-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】英文表达女人的口是心非，你知多少？ 阅读:85 2016-07-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】Be Passionate 充满激情 阅读:34 2017-02-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】发怒？沮丧？这些贬义形容词都怎么用！ 阅读:281 2016-07-27
- 【阅读-每日英语】李阳疯狂英语---语法突破两百句5 阅读:39 2017-09-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】Foreign volunteers ... 阅读:29 2017-07-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】轻轻松松背单词单词记忆五法 阅读:36 2017-05-20
- 【阅读-每日英语】2007六级作文预测及范文1 阅读:14 2018-01-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】英文笑话：孩子和妈妈 阅读:36 2016-09-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】莎士比亚《暴风雨》之不要怕【附视频】 阅读:47 2016-10-22
- 【阅读-每日英语】使用频率最高的英语对话 阅读:52 2016-07-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】献给低头族的英语视频：我有422个朋友... 阅读:46 2016-09-13
- 【阅读-每日英语】An Uplifting1 Power... 阅读:98 2017-02-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】早上不要做五件事，你做到了吗？ 阅读:42 2016-10-09
- 【听力-外出就餐】The Beauty of Buf... 阅读:20 2017-04-20
- 【听力-日常生活】英语听力会话20 如何说安慰 阅读:63 2017-08-28
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语中“圆桌会议”怎么说 阅读:149 2016-02-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】孩子们最想听到的一句鼓励的话是什么？ 阅读:25 2016-10-15
- 【阅读-每日英语】【语音版】艺术家的世界 阅读:25 2016-10-28
- 【阅读-每日英语】让你铭记一生的故事：建好你自己的房子 阅读:166 2016-10-18
- 【听力-健康】Hair Brush 梳子、毛刷 阅读:13 2017-03-28
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】过年最怕亲戚问这10个问题 中招了么 阅读:73 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-每日英语】为朋友打气的英文励志口号 阅读:27 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】做饭靠厨艺，吃饭动脑筋 阅读:30 2016-10-22
- 【阅读-每日英语】美利坚十大爆笑“怪”现象 阅读:20 2016-10-21
- 【听力-外出就餐】A Far Trip for Fo... 阅读:10 2017-04-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】有图有真相: 设计面国旗真的不是事儿 阅读:34 2016-10-23
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语阅读PLAYINGGAME... 阅读:28 2017-10-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】那些幸福的时刻，你体会过吗？ 阅读:30 2016-10-02
第十拿手好戏：人的生命和活力之源-工作(三) 92. He patted me on the back for the deal made yesterday. (他对我昨天所做的交易表示满意。) 93. He is good at ...
A: My house is much too stuffy nowadays.B: It's the hot weather.A: I bought an air conditioner, but it doesn'...
五一劳动节 may day or labour day 五一劳动节各种说法： 资本主义国家不庆祝"五一劳动节"的，因此 要么说 ...
音频点击此处>>>A: I need some pants.A: 我得买条裤子。B: I thought you just bought...
China quake death toll rises to 69,176BEIJING, June 18 (Xinhua) -- The death toll of China's massive earthquake incre...
1. First hold her hand gently and cuddle with her a bit. 首先温柔的拉着她的手，轻轻的抱一抱她...
欣然接受型： Thank you, that's very kind of you to say so! 谢谢您!谢谢您能这么说。 I...
Livin’ on the edge out of control, and the world just won’t let me slow down, But in my biggest picture, was a photo ...
"So you want another day off,”snorted the teacher to his student，Tom.“I ...
1. 用汉字发音来念英语 错误范例： to念“吐” you念“油” action念“阿克信” English念“英格利须” ambulance...
A. Excuse me! Can you please help me?B. What's the problem?A. My car stopped in the middle of the road.B. Did you...
1A: Hi Kara, it's Mike here.B: Hi Mike, how are you doing?A: I'm doing well, and you?B: Everything is going g...
A: Hey, what's that you're eating?B: It's steamed rice cake. My grandma made it.A: Does it taste good?B: ...