The carpenter's house 木匠的房子
An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his employer of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family. He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.
The employer was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end his career.
When the carpenter finished his work and the employer came to inspect the house and handed the front-door key to the carpenter. "This is your house," he said, "my gift to you."
What a shock! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so differently. Now he had to live in the home he had built none too well.
So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting rather than acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we do not give the job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the situation we have created and find that we are now living in the house we have built. If we had realized, we would have done it differently.
Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely. It is the only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one day more, that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity. The plaque on the wall says, "Life is a do-it-yourself project." Who could say it more clearly? Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitudes and the choices you make today.
- 【阅读-每日英语】疯狂英语精华Life Chatting... 阅读:16 2017-09-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】【双语】女友生日，送什么礼物最贴心？ 阅读:37 2016-08-12
- 【阅读-每日英语】外语名家金玉良言 阅读:44 2017-03-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】送给英语老师最长情的告白：那些年学的英语还在 阅读:26 2016-11-03
- 【阅读-每日英语】各种心情的英文表达，一次看个够？ 阅读:97 2016-10-09
- 【阅读-每日英语】还有比这更全的万圣节介绍吗？ 阅读:26 2016-10-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】一生中你不一定知道的真相 阅读:18 2016-10-14
- 【阅读-每日英语】你不认识这些单词就落伍了！ 阅读:62 2016-08-31
- 【阅读-每日英语】杭州G20晚会盘点，惊艳老外的不只是节... 阅读:24 2016-11-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】怎么用英文表达“幸福和快乐”？ 阅读:89 2016-10-06
- 【阅读-每日英语】Part II 阅读:29 2017-04-18
- 【阅读-每日英语】如何译“不管三七二十一”？ 阅读:56 2016-09-25
- 【阅读-每日英语】No pleasure without... 阅读:114 2017-06-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】十二星座怎么吃？ 阅读:24 2016-10-08
- 【阅读-每日英语】英文笑话：孩子和妈妈 阅读:30 2016-09-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】一句话话婚姻——简洁有力又不失可爱！ 阅读:27 2016-10-10
- 【阅读-酒店相关英语】【旅游英语】在酒店 8 酒店的派送... 阅读:100 2017-02-16
- 【阅读-每日英语】Children are what... 阅读:19 2017-06-17
- 【阅读-每日英语】Harm set,harm get 阅读:18 2017-08-27
- 【听力-工作】Work Is Hard 工作是辛苦的 阅读:13 2017-04-04
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“preservative”防腐剂 阅读:28 2016-02-29
- 【阅读-每日英语】有一种痛叫夏天来了，空调坏了 阅读:28 2016-10-29
- 【听力-食物】Ordering Food at ... 阅读:18 2017-08-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】“别拐弯抹角了”，英文咋说？ 阅读:29 2016-10-07
- 【阅读-每日英语】10个方法让你挤出更多时间读书 阅读:32 2016-09-21
- 【阅读-每日英语】分礼物喽！都会用到哪些英语句子？ 阅读:30 2016-08-01
- 【听力-日常生活】I Live in Pasaden... 阅读:46 2017-01-26
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】英语单词“过渡人物”怎么说 阅读:41 2016-02-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】一直失败？做到这13条，你离成功也... 阅读:31 2016-11-04
- 【阅读-每日英语】世界著名的英语广告语！句句精华！ 阅读:35 2016-10-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】英语单词的小秘密 阅读:59 2016-07-30
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】热点英语单词：“辐射牛” 阅读:34 2016-02-29
1. I must sleep less to get more done.为了干完更多的活儿，我必须少睡点儿觉。2. I must work longe...
A Wolf had been feasting too greedily, and a bone had stuck crosswise in his throat. He could get it neither up nor d...
Women need to cry. And they won't do it alone unless they know you can h...
A: I'm sorry for being difficult.B: Not at all. We aim to please.A: It's just that this will be my family'...
国际货币基金组织总裁多米尼克•斯特劳斯－卡恩因涉嫌对酒店女佣进行“性侵犯”近日被拘留。据媒体报道，作为法国社会党领袖，斯特劳斯－卡恩或将参加2012年法国总统竞选。 请看相关报道： The sexua...
A: Were you invited to Barb's birthday party?B: I was. It should be really fun.A: Do you have a date for the part...
(1)解雇The boss kissed his woman secretary off.kiss off不是“吻别”。在美国俚语中kiss off表示&...
1A: Are you new in town?B: Yes, I did just move in.A: How do you like it here so far?B: I think it's great.A: Whe...
The golden opportunity you are seeking is in yourself.It is not in your environment; it is not in luck or chance,or t...
A: I woke up with the worse stomachache.B: Did you try going to the bathroom?A: I went to the bathroom, but that didn...
1A: I'd like to get your store credit card.B: Here's the application form.A: I'm finished. Here's the...
Pride goes before a fall.骄者必败。 Pride goes before a fall