Pippi Moves into Villa Villekulla
Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an old overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking. She was nine years old, and she lived there all alone. She had no mother and no father, and that was of course very nice because there was no one to tell her to go to bed just when she was having the most fun, and no one who could make her take cod liver oil when she much preferred caramel candy.
Once upon a time Pippi had had a father of whom she was extremely fond. Naturally she had had a mother too, but that was so long ago that Pippi didn't remember her at all. Her mother had died when Pippi was just a tiny baby and lay in a cradle and howled so that nobody could go anywhere near her. Pippi was sure that her mother was now up in Heaven, watching her little girl through a peephole in the sky, and Pippi often waved up at her and called, "Don't you worry about me. I'1l always come out on top."
很久以前，皮皮有过爸爸，她极其喜欢自己的爸爸。当然她也有过妈妈，但是这是许久以前了，皮皮一点也不记得了。当皮皮还是一个小婴儿躺在摇蓝里的时 候，她的妈妈就去世了。她号啕大哭，谁都不敢靠近她。皮皮相信她的妈妈正在天堂里，通过天上的一个小孔看着她的小女儿，皮皮经常对她挥挥手，呼喊着:“不 用担心我，我会过得很好。”
Pippi had not forgotten her father. He was a sea captain who sailed on the great ocean,and Pippi had sailed with him in his ship until one day her father was blown overboard in a storm and disappeared. But Pippi was absolutely certain that he would come back.She would never believe that he had drowned; she was sure he had floated until he landed on an island inhabited by cannibals. And she thought he had become the king of all the cannibals and went around with a golden crown on his head all day along.
皮皮没有忘记她的爸爸。他是一个海上的船长，航行在无边无际的大海上，皮皮曾经和他一起在他的船上航行，直到有一天爸爸在一场风暴中被刮下了船，消 失了。但是，皮皮完全相信他会回来的。她绝不相信他会溺水而死，她相信他在海上漂流，漂到一个黑人居住的岛屿上。她想他当上了黑人国王，头上戴着一顶金冠 整日四处走动。
"My papa is a cannibal king; it certainly isn't every child who has such a stylish papa," Pippi used to say with satisfaction. "And as soon as my papa has built himself a boat he will come and get me, and I'll be a cannibal princess. Heigh-ho, won't that be exciting?"
Her father had bought the old house in the garden many years ago. He thought he would live there with Pippi when he grew old and couldn't sail the seas any longer. And then this annoying thing had to happen, that he was blown into the ocean, and while Pippi was waiting for him to come back she went straight home to Villa Villekulla. That was the name of the house. It stood there ready and waiting for her. One lovely summer evening she had said good-by to all the sailors on her father's boat. They were all fond of Pippi, and she of them.
许多年前，她的爸爸就买下了花园里的房子。他想等他老了，再也不能出海了，就和皮皮住在这里。之后这件讨厌的事情发生了，他被刮进了大海。而皮皮要 等着爸爸回来，她直接住进了维拉维洛古拉的家。维拉维洛古拉，这就是房子的名字，它坐落在那里，准备就绪，等待着她。一个令人愉快的夏夜，她告别了爸爸船 上所有的水手，他们全都喜欢皮皮，皮皮也喜欢他们。
"So long, boys," she said and kissed each one on the forehead. "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on top."
Two things she took with her from the ship: a little monkey whose name was Mr. Nilsson--he was a present from her father-and a big suitcase full of gold pieces. The sailors stood upon the deck and watched as long as they could see her. She walked straight ahead without looking back at all, with Mr. Nilsson on her shoulder and her suitcase in her hand.
"A remarkable child," said one of the sailors as Pippi disappeared in the distance.
He was right. Pippi was indeed a remarkable child. The most remarkable thing about her was that she was so strong. She was so very strong that in the whole wide world there was not a single police officer as strong as she. Why, she could lift a whole horse if she wanted to! And she had bought with one of her many gold pieces the day she came home to Villa Villekulla. She had always longed for a horse, anct now here he was, living on the porch. When Pippi wanted to drink her afternoon coffee there, she simply lifted him down into the garden.
他是对的。皮皮确实是一个了不起的孩子。她最非同寻常的地方是她力大无穷。她力气大极了，恐怕世界上没有一个警察能和她一样。为什么呢，如果她想的 话，她能举起一整匹马!当她来到维拉维洛古拉这个家的时候，用一块金币买了一匹马。她一直渴望能有一匹马，现在他就住在门廊里。当皮皮想在门廊上喝下午的 咖啡时，她只要把马举到花园里去。
1.这是一个由“and'连接的并列句，由三个简单的倒装句构成.当表示方位的介词或介词短语置于句首时，句子倒装，如“in”(在里面)，"at the end of "(在...尽头)，"in the middle of"〔在……之中)等。副词短语“way out”表示“远离”之义。
3.“come out on top”有“占优势，脱颖而出，出人头地，大有成就，获取胜刊.”等意思。皮皮用到这一短语，表示她非常自信，相信自己完全能照顾好自己的一切。
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】我国都有哪些英语等级考试 阅读:56 2016-05-08
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】外国人最爱表情包TOP10 你猜哪个排第一 阅读:247 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】童话故事：皮皮搬进维拉维洛古拉 阅读:125 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】英语中英语你未必知道的9个冷知识 阅读:62 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】过年最怕亲戚问这10个问题 中招了么 阅读:66 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】英语面试中你需要注意的9个着装细节 阅读:64 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】单词怎么记才事半功倍?老外亲授视频教学 阅读:54 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】用英语吐槽：我为什么害怕过春节？ 阅读:55 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】这18个外语词竟然没有英文翻译 阅读:39 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】外媒评论：智能机霸天下 猜还有多少人看电视？ 阅读:64 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】英语中“引力波” gravitat... 阅读:80 2016-02-21
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】“短信诈骗”Telemarketing... 阅读:249 2016-10-17
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】英语面试中如何有效地介绍自己 阅读:57 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】为什么siri等电子设备指令声都是女声 阅读:94 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】盘点外国酒店旅客奇葩问题TOP10 阅读:57 2016-02-24
- 【阅读-英语趣味阅读】儿童文学教给我们的大道理 阅读:111 2016-02-24
- 【听力-家庭事务】An Afternoon Fish... 阅读:37 2017-06-05
- 【阅读-每日英语】痛快点，“有话直说”！ 阅读:55 2016-07-30
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】看看外国的媒人是怎么做的 阅读:88 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】你有“节日病”吗？ 阅读:58 2016-03-02
- 【阅读-每日英语】写给07年的考研人 阅读:28 2017-04-28
- 【阅读-美国文化和习俗】【双语有声阅读】Christmas... 阅读:42 2016-11-04
- 【听力-选举】Excitement after ... 阅读:9 2016-12-14
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】热点英语单词：“孝道”filial... 阅读:37 2016-02-26
- 【阅读-每日英语】Every man worth h... 阅读:26 2017-06-22
- 【听力-旅行】A Real Meal 一份正式的饭 阅读:9 2017-04-19
- 【阅读-每日英语】There are spots i... 阅读:27 2017-05-15
- 【听力-雇佣】Asking for Help 请求帮助 阅读:190 2017-05-01
- 【阅读-每日英语】好吧，我超重了！还有没有别的意见？ 阅读:15 2016-10-19
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】“女同性恋”英语的种种讲法 阅读:149 2016-02-19
- 【阅读-英语学习方法】教你说“帅呆了” 阅读:46 2016-02-19
- 【听力-日常生活】Your Email Addres... 阅读:19 2016-12-15
要记下这么多的单词感到有点没有办法抵挡了吗?其实这并没有必要变成一份另人畏惧的差事!查看这些最棒的点子及指示让你累积起你的单词能量! 1. Connec...
Beijing nears fulfillment of seven years' work in OlympicsBEIJING - When He Z...
A: Don't wipe your nose on your sleeve.A: 别用袖子抹鼻涕。B: But I don't have...
Why is it that whatever we do sometimes never feels enough? You know how it is when you pass the exam, reach your tar...
1A: I want to change rooms. In fact, I want a refund for tonight! B: And the problem is, sir? A: Cockroaches have tak...
经典句型：It's very cool today.今天真凉快啊。A:It's very cool today.甲:今天真凉快啊。B:Ye...
A: What's the weather like?B: I don't know. I just woke up.A: Why don't you look outside?B: Okay. It look...
A: Did you hear what happened to Marie?B: I have no idea what happened. Is she okay?A: She's devastated. Marie an...
A: I need a cab to the theater district.B: We can get that for you right away.A: Well, I don't need to be there f...
A: I forgot my house key!B: How are we supposed to get into the house?A: I hid a spare key in case this happens.B: Le...
1. I hope to win her heart and make her my bride.我希望能赢得她的芳心，娶她做新娘。2. What the...
Hares, as you know, are very timid. The least shadow, sends them scurrying in fright to a hiding place. Once they dec...