A Pocketful of Pigs
A Pocketful of Pigs
Once there was no money.
If people wanted to get something , they had to give something. This is the way it used to be.
"I will give you my cow for your pig," a man would say. "I'll give you my bowl if you give me a shirt," another would say.
"Here are seven oranges for one fish. "
"Will you give mc a chicken for a bag of corn?"
People had to trade things every day. They had to give a thing to ge.t a thing because there wasn't any money.
But they had to work out a good trade . one that came out
What could you get for two chickens? Were thrce bags of apples a good trade for two bags of grapes? Or onc bag of apples for a little butter? What was an even trade? It was hard to know.
And it was too hard to carry around all the thinga for trading. People had to use too much time getting things they needed. So they thought of a new way to trade.
They thought of money.
Money could "stand for" apples, or bowls, or pigs.
And a pocketful of money was better than a pocketful of pigs.
With money, it was not so hard to trade. Everyone could use money. The man who needed a.pig could buy it with money. The man who sold the pig could keep the moyey until he needed something. People could work for money, and people buy things with the money they got from work.
Let's Play Chess
Mr Wilson and Mr Dawson arc watching some men playing chess.
MR WILSON: Let's play chess.
MR DAWSON: I haven't played chess for a long time.
MR WILSON: That's all right, I'm a beginner. I've just learnt how to play.
MR DAWSON: Look, there's a chessboard. Those two men have already finished playing.
MR WILSON (after they have played for a few minutes): You're a very good player
MR DAWSON: Not really, but once I won a prize.
MR WILsoN: So did I. I won a prize last week but it was a prize for beginners.
MR DAWSON: My prize was for the hest player in the country. Now let's start playing chess seriously.
7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the dialogue to your partner in your own words.
Man: I'm not satisfied with it.
Saleswoman: Why not? What's wrong with it?
Man: Sometimes it goes fast. And sometimes it goes slow. And the alarm doesn'twork, either.
Saleswoman: Would you like another one?
Man: No. Can I have my money back? Saleswoman; Hmm... have you got a receipt?
Man: A receipt?
Saleswoman: Yes. I must see your receipt. You can't have your money back without areceipt.
Man Oh, I'm not certain, but I think I've lost it.
- Every cloud has a silver lining 阅读:35 2017-06-11
- 【旅游英语】入境 3 机场问讯处（咨询台）Information Counter . 阅读:66 2017-02-08
- 英语中“青葱岁月”竟是“吃沙拉的那些日子” 阅读:70 2016-11-04
- Greeting a Visitor 问候来访者 阅读:20 2017-05-14
- 如何用英语问候常见面的人？ 阅读:38 2016-06-05
- Golf Is Silly 高尔夫是个愚蠢的游戏 阅读:18 2017-07-05
- Failing to Stop at a Stop Sign 在没有停车标志的地方停车是不允许的 阅读:14 2017-06-16
- Warranty Expired 超过保修期了 阅读:16 2018-01-18
- 英语中怎么形容“拍马屁” 阅读:47 2016-02-19
- 从冰山获取淡水 Obtaining Fresh water from icebergs 阅读:20 2018-01-14
- Promise is debt. 阅读:33 2017-08-13
- 囧研究：中国人发现石头剪刀布致胜绝招！ 阅读:24 2016-10-13
- 【旅游英语】问路、买票&坐车 5 乘坐公共汽车 Taking a bus。 阅读:219 2017-02-23
- Boxing 拳击 阅读:30 2017-07-15
- 最怕听到这样的英语开场白！ 阅读:49 2016-09-11
- A Mistake by the Waitress 侍应（服务员）弄错了 阅读:13 2017-02-26
The Weasels and the Mice were always up in arms against each other. In every battle the Weasels carried off the victo...
你有没有觉得在微波炉里热东西的时候时间过得特别慢？明明选择了30秒，可怎么要等那么久呢？Well, you are not alone. 这个问题好像世界...
通过词根记单词11:col-,cor col-,cor在同辅音词根前，表示"共同" collaboration协作；合著(col+labor劳动+ation→共同劳动) collocate并置，排列(col+loc地方+ate→放...
A rock concert in Belgium turned deadly when a violent storm struck the outdoor festival, leaving at least five peopl...
A: What a great day to be at the beach.B: I love the smell of the salt-water air.A: Are you going to go swimming in t...
资料来源与数据查询 Internet TrafficRanking: http://www.trafficranking.com全球英语学习网站最新排名（Top15） 1. 英语城镇 (商)englishtown.com2. 英语咖啡...
要租房子，租金多少是需要考虑的一个重要因素，此外，还要弄清楚水电煤气、取暖物业等各种费用。 1. What's the rent on that? How much is the deposit? 租金是多少？押金又是多少？ Rent...
Turkish artist Said Dagdeviren makes beautiful art with a message. His recent...
1. When you lose touch with your inner stillness, you lose touch with yourse...
这是什么味儿? What's that smell? *完全不清楚时。 What's that smell? (这是什么味儿?) Oh, no! Something's burning. (噢，不好!是什么糊了...
1. You can count on me. 我办事，你放心。 2. Leave it up to me! 这事就交给我吧。 3. Just ...
The Birds and the Beasts declared war against each other. No compromise was possible, and so they went at it tooth an...