A Pocketful of Pigs
A Pocketful of Pigs
Once there was no money.
If people wanted to get something , they had to give something. This is the way it used to be.
"I will give you my cow for your pig," a man would say. "I'll give you my bowl if you give me a shirt," another would say.
"Here are seven oranges for one fish. "
"Will you give mc a chicken for a bag of corn?"
People had to trade things every day. They had to give a thing to ge.t a thing because there wasn't any money.
But they had to work out a good trade . one that came out
What could you get for two chickens? Were thrce bags of apples a good trade for two bags of grapes? Or onc bag of apples for a little butter? What was an even trade? It was hard to know.
And it was too hard to carry around all the thinga for trading. People had to use too much time getting things they needed. So they thought of a new way to trade.
They thought of money.
Money could "stand for" apples, or bowls, or pigs.
And a pocketful of money was better than a pocketful of pigs.
With money, it was not so hard to trade. Everyone could use money. The man who needed a.pig could buy it with money. The man who sold the pig could keep the moyey until he needed something. People could work for money, and people buy things with the money they got from work.
Let's Play Chess
Mr Wilson and Mr Dawson arc watching some men playing chess.
MR WILSON: Let's play chess.
MR DAWSON: I haven't played chess for a long time.
MR WILSON: That's all right, I'm a beginner. I've just learnt how to play.
MR DAWSON: Look, there's a chessboard. Those two men have already finished playing.
MR WILSON (after they have played for a few minutes): You're a very good player
MR DAWSON: Not really, but once I won a prize.
MR WILsoN: So did I. I won a prize last week but it was a prize for beginners.
MR DAWSON: My prize was for the hest player in the country. Now let's start playing chess seriously.
7. Read the following dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the dialogue to your partner in your own words.
Man: I'm not satisfied with it.
Saleswoman: Why not? What's wrong with it?
Man: Sometimes it goes fast. And sometimes it goes slow. And the alarm doesn'twork, either.
Saleswoman: Would you like another one?
Man: No. Can I have my money back? Saleswoman; Hmm... have you got a receipt?
Man: A receipt?
Saleswoman: Yes. I must see your receipt. You can't have your money back without areceipt.
Man Oh, I'm not certain, but I think I've lost it.
- 听力！听力！英语听力就是这样提高的！ 阅读:49 2016-10-18
- Where to Find a Movie Theater 哪里可以找到电影院 阅读:114 2017-01-17
- 【语音版】珍爱生命，请勿超速 阅读:69 2016-10-28
- 2017 China Itinerant Floor Technology Promotion and Exchange Meeting Kicked off in Tianjin 阅读:291 2017-04-22
- 什么是4D男人？ 阅读:100 2016-02-23
- Chinese President talks to netizens 阅读:42 2017-07-10
- 你多久没真心笑过了？哈佛大学教你如何快乐生活 阅读:103 2016-11-04
- 如何道歉“这么晚/早打电话打扰”？ 阅读:40 2016-10-12
- Broken Legs 腿断了 阅读:26 2017-03-23
- 英语口语交际的十大陷阱 你出坑了吗 阅读:77 2016-11-09
- 实用英语口语：买火车票 阅读:68 2016-02-19
- Trying to Find a Doctor 试着找医生 阅读:27 2017-03-16
- 你的生活已被电子设备被入侵！超级震撼的漫画 阅读:67 2016-10-25
- Photos showcase Olympic host city 阅读:41 2017-07-21
- 英语笑话之童真童趣 阅读:46 2016-10-15
- First come,first served 阅读:26 2018-05-10
1. Child''s play & 儿戏 Child''s play的意思是“非常容易做的事情，不大重要的事情”。《朗曼当代英语词典》的解释是"something very easy to do, something not...
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts. It is the largest city in the New England state and is rich with history. T...
1、付帐(cash)：右手拇指、的食指和中指在空中捏在一起或在另一只手上作出写字的样子，这是表示在饭馆要付帐的手势。 2、“动脑筋”(use your...
场景：这是什么牌子？ What brand is this?询问 “…… 是什么” What is ……？ 单数 What ...
A: I just came back from eating at the new steak place.B: Oh, I've been wanting to go there. How was it?A: Don...
A: I'm so sick of being sick.B: Have you been taking any medicine?A: I have taken every over-the-counter medicine...
A: In order to check for an infection, we are going to need a urine sample.B: How does that work?A: Take this little ...
A: What kind of meat are you buying?B: I'm just buying some pork shoulders.A: Why did you make them cut it in hal...
A: It's a nice apartment.B: I knew you would like it. Who wouldn't?A: There is only one issue.B: What is it? ...
1A: I would like to open an account today.B: What kind?A: I want to open a checking account.B: You need to keep a min...
among the rest 在其中 bad sailor 容易晕船的人 block-buster 风行的事物 busy-body 爱管闲事的人 co...
读书的时候我们都常去图书馆借书，工作了为了业务上的提高常去公司的资料室借书。"借书"就涉及到"借、续借、还"的问题，这些用英语怎么表达你知道吗？下文就一一来介绍一下。 1. I want to ...
Hope everything goes your way. 万事如意Hope everything goes your way
Two men were traveling in company along the road when one of them picked up a well-filled purse. 从前有两个旅人结伴而行，其中一人偶然在路...