A man went to an insurance office to have his life insured.
The manager of the office asked him how old his parents .were when they died.
"Mother had a bad heart and died at the age of thirty. Father died of tuberculosis when he was thirty-five. "
"I am very sorry," said the manager, "We cannot insure your life as your parents were not healthy. "
As the man was leaving the office, depressed, he met a elerk who had overheard the conversation.
"You must not be so frank and tell the truth," said the clerk, "no office will insure you if you speak like that. Use your imagination a little. "
The man went to another office and was shown into the manager's room.
"Well, young man, how old were your parents when they died?"
"Mother was ninety-three, and she died from a fall off her bicycle. Father was ninety-eight and he died while he was playing football. "
Can You Deliver It?
MAN: Can you deliver9 it, please'?
SALESwOMAN: It depends where you live , sir.
MAN: In Camden Town.
SALESwOMAN: Yes, we deliver there. But it. costs two pounds fifty.
MAN: All right. But I'm only in on Saturday.
SALESwOMAN: Morning or afternoon?
MAN: Afternoon, please, if that's possible.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
They Are Here in My Hand !
Mrs Williams loved flowers and had a small but beautiful garden. In the summer, her roses were always the best in her street. One summer afternoon her bell rang, and when she went to the front door, she saw a small boy outside. He was about seven years old,,and was holding a big bunch of beautiful roses in his hand.
"I am selling roses", he said. "Do you want any? They are quite cheap. Five pence for a big bunch. They are fresh. I picked them this afternoon. "
"My boy,"Mrs Williams answered, "I pick roses whenever I want, and don't pay anything for them, because I have lots in my garden. "
"Oh , no , you haven't , " said the small boy. "There aren't any roses in your garden - because t.hey are here in my hand!"
- 最新速记单词法 阅读:78 2017-05-03
- Getting a Sandwich 要一个三文治 阅读:10 2017-04-30
- Asking for a Description of a Person 询问一个人的基本情况 阅读:17 2017-08-24
- 英语面试中如何有效地介绍自己 阅读:70 2016-02-24
- 通过词根记单词25:inter-,intro- 阅读:45 2016-02-19
- 变着花样说“Very Good” 阅读:25 2016-10-07
- 最容易弄错意思的英语句子 阅读:24 2016-06-13
- 细说英语单词：mall hangover 阅读:29 2016-02-21
- A word spoken is past recalling 阅读:26 2017-07-05
- A Bad Date 糟糕的一天（约会不愉快） 阅读:19 2017-02-24
- 通过词根记单词5:amphi- 阅读:42 2016-02-19
- “BF”的含义，直戳心灵深处的回答！ 阅读:43 2016-09-21
- 七省区市建“流动医院” 阅读:57 2016-03-03
- Negotiating the Price 2 商讨（讨论）价格 2 阅读:8 2017-11-29
- 疯狂英语阅读The1TajMahal2EpitaphofLove 阅读:17 2017-10-14
- 高中生应该如何学习英语 阅读:43 2017-05-03
1. Pain past is pleasure. (过去的痛苦就是快乐。)[无论多么艰难一定要咬牙冲过去，将来回忆起来一定甜蜜无比。] 2. Whi...
The concept of obtaining fresh water from icebergs that are towed to populated areas and arid regions of the world wa...
A: I need a job.A: 我需要一份工作。B: I thought you had a job.B:我以为你有工作呢。A: I did.A: ...
Five这个词大家肯定熟到不能再熟了，不就是个数字嘛，简单！可是你有没有听过下面这两个和five相关的表达呢？那可就未必了。不信？就来看看吧！ 1. Give me five! 千万别当成是“给我五块钱!”,...
英语口语中有许多常用的小句子，简短又地道，这次我们就为大家收集了一些最常用的表达，千万不要错过哦！ 1. After you. 你先请。 这是一句很常用的客套话，在进／出门、上车的场合你都可以表现一下。 2. I just could...
健康胜于财富英语怎么说 Health is better than wealth.健康胜于财富。 Health is better than wealth
1. Bad news谁都知道bad news是“坏消息”，要是说某人是bad news，那只能说明这个人像“坏消息”一样太不受欢迎了，言外之意就是这是个...
一、蔬菜string bean 四季豆pea 豌豆green soy bean 毛豆soybean sprout 黄豆芽mung bean sprout ...
A: I've been dating for a while, but I never kissed anyone.B: Don't worry about it.A: When did you have your ...
英语写作技巧开头万能公式： 1． 开头万能公式一：名人名言 有人问了，“我没有记住名言，怎么办？尤其是英语名言？”，很好办：编！ 原理：我们看到的东西很多都是创造出来的，包括我们欣赏的文章也是，所以尽管编，但是一定要听起来很有道理呦！...
1A: Are you looking for something?B: I'm trying to find the library.A: How long have you been trying to find it?B...
一. 听力单题技巧:：（一） 预测能力（道正认为预测是听力不可缺少的一部分）??预测能力是听者在听取录音之前所具有的获取信息的能力。听者可通过对某些关键词、重要短语、相关问题和选项的分析来提前预测听力材料中的大致内容。1． 分析选项，...
A: What would you do if you lost your job?B: I have no idea. I've been here for 20 years.A: Do you have any other...
A: What a great day to be at the beach.B: I love the smell of the salt-water air.A: Are you going to go swimming in t...