A man went to an insurance office to have his life insured.
The manager of the office asked him how old his parents .were when they died.
"Mother had a bad heart and died at the age of thirty. Father died of tuberculosis when he was thirty-five. "
"I am very sorry," said the manager, "We cannot insure your life as your parents were not healthy. "
As the man was leaving the office, depressed, he met a elerk who had overheard the conversation.
"You must not be so frank and tell the truth," said the clerk, "no office will insure you if you speak like that. Use your imagination a little. "
The man went to another office and was shown into the manager's room.
"Well, young man, how old were your parents when they died?"
"Mother was ninety-three, and she died from a fall off her bicycle. Father was ninety-eight and he died while he was playing football. "
Can You Deliver It?
MAN: Can you deliver9 it, please'?
SALESwOMAN: It depends where you live , sir.
MAN: In Camden Town.
SALESwOMAN: Yes, we deliver there. But it. costs two pounds fifty.
MAN: All right. But I'm only in on Saturday.
SALESwOMAN: Morning or afternoon?
MAN: Afternoon, please, if that's possible.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
They Are Here in My Hand !
Mrs Williams loved flowers and had a small but beautiful garden. In the summer, her roses were always the best in her street. One summer afternoon her bell rang, and when she went to the front door, she saw a small boy outside. He was about seven years old,,and was holding a big bunch of beautiful roses in his hand.
"I am selling roses", he said. "Do you want any? They are quite cheap. Five pence for a big bunch. They are fresh. I picked them this afternoon. "
"My boy,"Mrs Williams answered, "I pick roses whenever I want, and don't pay anything for them, because I have lots in my garden. "
"Oh , no , you haven't , " said the small boy. "There aren't any roses in your garden - because t.hey are here in my hand!"
- 房屋英语相关对话听力16：House Hunting 找房子 阅读:35 2016-03-20
- Sweet Dreams 祝你做个好梦！ 阅读:11 2017-02-23
- 简单的10步，拥有美丽迷人的生活！ 阅读:32 2016-10-18
- 英语笑话：三只乌龟 阅读:47 2016-10-15
- 细说英语单词：你在使用“通用密码”吗？ 阅读:22 2016-02-21
- Asking Dad for a Car 让爸爸买一辆车 阅读:14 2017-01-08
- 【双语有声阅读】Manhattan, New York City 纽约曼哈顿 阅读:31 2017-02-03
- 李阳疯狂英语---语法突破两百句3 阅读:15 2017-09-21
- 科普：我是谁？6分钟解答细思极恐的问题 阅读:36 2016-11-04
- 英语单词“炼金术”的演变的故事 阅读:23 2016-02-19
- 面对心爱的她（他），不要只会说“I love you”啦！ 阅读:38 2016-10-01
- The First Kiss 初吻 阅读:24 2016-12-25
- At Beach 在海滩 阅读:17 2017-05-08
- 六招帮你开始甜蜜恋情（双语） 阅读:53 2016-08-30
- Asking about Local Restaurants 询问当地的餐厅地址 阅读:11 2017-11-05
- 关于西餐不得不知的那些事 阅读:38 2016-08-07
1. All right! 好，行 2. Exactly! 完全正确! 3. Right on! 正确! 4. Congratulations! 祝...
如果妹纸胖，你可以说她暖，或者赞她够丰满。英文里都有哪些有爱表达，用了不惹她生气?下面这几个词，你不妨试试! 1. Plump Plump用作动词时可...
Never ever连用是正确的吗？Okey-Dokey 是什么意思？犹豫不决除了hesitate 有没有更口语的讲法？赶快来看看超级连字吧，答案尽在其中。 1. I will never ever do it again. 我绝不...
The early morning bus, still sleepy, I inadvertently obscure the soles of the feet in the next 20 to see a note of mo...
It is the only major language without an academy to guide it.1.英语是唯一没有学术机构加以规...
A: Do you listen to the radio?A: 你听广播了吗?B: I listen day and night.B: 我早晚都听。A:...
1A: The doctor sent me over here to have my blood drawn.B: Certainly, please have a seat and roll up your left sleeve...
1. The couple next door gave birth to a black boy.隔壁的夫妇生了一个黑人小孩。Little Henry ...
Jupiter 朱庇特；妄自尊大、目空一切的人。 罗马神话里的主神朱庇特（Jupiter）相当于希腊神话里的宙斯（Zeus）。朱庇特是老一代神祗克洛诺斯（Cronos）的儿子，预言说克洛诺斯将会被自己的儿子推翻，所以，他...
1A: What a wonderful dinner!B: Thank you. I am glad that you are enjoying it.A: Where did you get your fantastic reci...
作者：firstname.lastname@example.org首先解释一下什么是“本地化表达”（localized expression）。比如下面这句话，中文意思是：在我们继续视察偏远场地之前，我们将在Y处会合。这里的“Y处”（the Y），在原文中...
1、早上好!Good morning.2、闹钟响了吗?Did the alarm clock go off?Did the alarm clock buz...
A: What's wrong? You seem unsure about something.B: I'm unsure of where to get off the bus.A: Where are you c...
十年寒窗苦读英语，为谁辛苦为谁忙？当然是用来和老外“侃”喽。那外国人究竟如何看待中国人说的英语，他们说话有没有诀窍呢？记者请教了克里斯多佛?汉普顿――英国驻上海总领事的考官协调。 克里斯多佛开口就指出了国人学英语最大的“软挡”： ...
China quake death toll rises to 69,176BEIJING, June 18 (Xinhua) -- The death toll of China's massive earthquake incre...
1 three sheets to the wind 三条风中凌乱的帆绳如果你喝得酩酊大醉，也许你就成了“三条风中凌乱的帆绳”(three sheets ...