A Beautiful Dress
A Beautiful Dress
One day Mrs Jones went shopping. When her husband came home in the evening, she began to tell him about a beautiful cotton dress. "I saw it in a shop this morning," she said, "and..."
"And you want to buy it," said her husband. "How much does it cost? "
"Forty pounds. "
"Forty pounds for a cotton dress? That is too much!"
But every evening, when Mr Jones came back from work, his wife continued to speak only abou't the dress, and at last, after a week, he said, "Oh, buy the dress! Here is the money!" She was very happy.
But the next evening, when Mr Jones came home and asked, "Have you got the famous dress?" she said, "No. "
"Why not?" he said.
"Well, it was still in the window of the shop after a week, so I thought, nobody else wants this dress, so I don't want it either. "
Which Bus Shall 1 Take?
Jane Foster has just met Henry Taylor.Jane is on her way to the hospital to see her friend, Susan Green. HENRY: Where are you going, Jane?
JANE: I'm going to the hospital to see Susan Green.
HENRY: I saw her yesterday. She was a little better.
JANE: Must I catch a number 7 bus to get there?
HENRY: No , you needn't. A number 13 bus will also take you to the hospital.
JANE: Number 13 buses run much more frequently, don't they?
HENRY: Yes. I caught a number 7 bus yesterday, and I had to wait for half an hour atthe bus stop.
JANE: Thank you, Henry. I'll get a number .
HENRY: But number 13 buses leave from the centre of town. You'll have to walk two miles tocatch one.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
Mrs Jones was still cleaning the house when her husband came back from work. She was wearing dirty, old clothes and no stockings, her hair was not tidy, she had dust on her face, and she looked dirty and tired. Her husband looked at her and said, "Is this what I come home to see after a hard day's work?"
Mrs Jones's neighbour, Mrs Smit.h, was there. When she heard Mr Jones's words , she quickly said. goodbye and ran back to her house. Then she washed, brushed and combed her hair carefully, put on her best dress and her prettiest stockings, painted her face, and waited for her husband to come home.
When he arrived, he was hot and tired. He walked slowly into the house, saw his wife and stopped. Then he shouted angrily, "And where are you going this evening?"
- 10条经典英语绕口令，你会读吗？ 阅读:79 2016-06-13
- 英语单词大家一起来“弹钢琴”的故事 阅读:69 2016-02-19
- 完美发音的10个诀窍 阅读:48 2018-02-25
- 热点英语单词：summer pilgrimage 阅读:61 2016-02-29
- 【双语有声阅读】"母亲节"纪念母亲的节日 Mother's Day – A Holiday to Honor Motherhood 阅读:127 2016-11-13
- “国土空间开发规划”在英语里怎么说 阅读:70 2016-02-26
- 英语单词花花公子的故事 阅读:57 2016-02-19
- 英语“booth bunny”是什么意思？ 阅读:119 2016-02-25
- 美国孩子中流行的英语词汇 阅读:53 2016-09-05
- 实用英语口语：万用的 Do （1） 阅读:49 2016-02-19
- 疯狂英语阅读AnlnterviewwiththePresidentofYaleUniversity 阅读:33 2017-10-28
- 看似简单的几个口语句子，你能译对几个？ 阅读:51 2016-10-09
- 英语中“friendiligence”的意思 阅读:43 2016-02-20
- Olympic Village begins trial operations 阅读:50 2017-07-25
- Going to a Party 参加聚会 阅读:19 2018-01-27
- 英语听力会话33 外出旅行常用英语 阅读:79 2017-09-10
- 细说英语单词：“funemployed”失业快乐族 阅读:41 2016-02-21
- A Medical Emergency 医疗急救 阅读:44 2017-07-07
- Taking Speech 101 脱稿演讲 阅读:27 2018-03-07
- 各个手指的称呼 阅读:172 2016-02-19
- Purchasing a Parking Permit 买停车证 阅读:12 2018-02-27
"你真厉害"怎么说？"棒得令人折服"怎么说？快来看看下面的说法吧。 1. The man (the Man) 大哥；厉害的人 A: OK. Your car is fixed. There sh...
今天我们学习的每日一句英语是：He knows most who speaks least. 大智者寡于言。He knows most who speaks least
"You might never fail on the scale I did, but some failure in life is i...
Childhood dream to turn the still warm. Due to the difficult family circumstances, also dressed in winter clothes in ...
经常看美剧的同学应该也发现了，美国人民一般都会把美元叫做bucks，很多歌词里也经常会出现这个词，比如，Brandi Carlile曾在歌曲《The St...
A: This is my first time voting and I need some help.B: I'll be happy to help you. What's your name and addre...
A. You are late to work again!你上班又迟到了。B. I'm very sorry.真的对不起。A. How do you manage to make it late every day?你怎搞得...
网络与人 Directions: 1. Study the following picture carefully and write an essay of at least 200 words. 2. Your essay mus...
A: Can I help you with something?B: Yes, I hope that you can.A: What seems to be the problem?B: Do you know what time...
爱屋及乌 Love me, love my dog. 百闻不如一见 Seeing is believing. 比上不足比下有余 worse off ...
A: I got my email hacked the other day.B: That's terrible! How did that happen?A: I opened an account on a websit...
记得原来学过一句谚语：A friend in need is a friend indeed. 在汉语里就是“患难见真知”的意思。...