A Beautiful Dress
A Beautiful Dress
One day Mrs Jones went shopping. When her husband came home in the evening, she began to tell him about a beautiful cotton dress. "I saw it in a shop this morning," she said, "and..."
"And you want to buy it," said her husband. "How much does it cost? "
"Forty pounds. "
"Forty pounds for a cotton dress? That is too much!"
But every evening, when Mr Jones came back from work, his wife continued to speak only abou't the dress, and at last, after a week, he said, "Oh, buy the dress! Here is the money!" She was very happy.
But the next evening, when Mr Jones came home and asked, "Have you got the famous dress?" she said, "No. "
"Why not?" he said.
"Well, it was still in the window of the shop after a week, so I thought, nobody else wants this dress, so I don't want it either. "
Which Bus Shall 1 Take?
Jane Foster has just met Henry Taylor.Jane is on her way to the hospital to see her friend, Susan Green. HENRY: Where are you going, Jane?
JANE: I'm going to the hospital to see Susan Green.
HENRY: I saw her yesterday. She was a little better.
JANE: Must I catch a number 7 bus to get there?
HENRY: No , you needn't. A number 13 bus will also take you to the hospital.
JANE: Number 13 buses run much more frequently, don't they?
HENRY: Yes. I caught a number 7 bus yesterday, and I had to wait for half an hour atthe bus stop.
JANE: Thank you, Henry. I'll get a number .
HENRY: But number 13 buses leave from the centre of town. You'll have to walk two miles tocatch one.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
Mrs Jones was still cleaning the house when her husband came back from work. She was wearing dirty, old clothes and no stockings, her hair was not tidy, she had dust on her face, and she looked dirty and tired. Her husband looked at her and said, "Is this what I come home to see after a hard day's work?"
Mrs Jones's neighbour, Mrs Smit.h, was there. When she heard Mr Jones's words , she quickly said. goodbye and ran back to her house. Then she washed, brushed and combed her hair carefully, put on her best dress and her prettiest stockings, painted her face, and waited for her husband to come home.
When he arrived, he was hot and tired. He walked slowly into the house, saw his wife and stopped. Then he shouted angrily, "And where are you going this evening?"
- 如何用英语表达天气热？ 阅读:66 2016-02-19
- Missing the Bus Stop 1 错过公交站1 阅读:9 2017-09-30
- 一些不同凡响的道谢语，让你把“谢谢”说得多姿多彩！ 阅读:55 2016-10-15
- Express Certainty 表示肯定 阅读:14 2017-08-20
- 细说英语单词：待命假日 阅读:34 2016-02-21
- 【双语有声阅读】Applying for Public Housing 申请廉租房 阅读:17 2016-12-17
- 令人深恶痛绝的10大饮食杀手，英文怎么说？ 阅读:24 2016-09-20
- 热点英语单词：高铁“刹车” 阅读:41 2016-02-27
- A good beginning is half done 阅读:47 2017-06-18
- I Have a Honda 我有一辆本田汽车 阅读:18 2017-01-25
- 如何拓展钱的长度? 精打细算！ 阅读:26 2016-10-23
- 热点英语单词：“Ice”新解 阅读:18 2016-02-26
- Likes and Dislikes 喜欢和不喜欢 阅读:41 2017-04-19
- 教你如何辨别世界主流英语口音 阅读:33 2016-10-20
- They''re Lying 他们撒谎 阅读:34 2017-05-21
- 夸人除了beautiful, 你还会用什么 阅读:87 2016-10-20
What do you think, Doc?The doctor said to his patient: 'Your health is ge...
外出旅行时旅游信息问讯处在哪儿? Where's the tourist information center?Where's the tourist information center? (旅游信息问讯处在哪儿?...
A: Did you finish the math project?你做完的的数学作业了吗。B: I have not started.我还没有开始做。A: But it's due tomorrow!但是明天就要交了。B:...
以下这些小技巧，让你在任何场合下都显得信心十足。 Step 1: Speak to inner gremlins 1. 自我暗示 Get rid o...
黄金点子：我认为搞好英语复习要注意以下几个方面： 1.以课本为主，巩固基础知识。课本是英语学习的基础，也是测试的根据。试卷中大部分考点都来源于课本，请看下面北京市的一道中考题： Mrs Brown isn't here. She...
It is hard to please all.众口难调。 It is hard to please all
A: Thank you for coming to my party this evening.B: No, thank you for letting me come as my cousin's guest.A: Any...
10. Practice tenses as much as possible. When you learn a new verb, learn its various forms.A thousand words will...
Though it was a bright, hot dawn outside, there were no windows in this part of the castle. Van Ritchten had to provi...
A sacred Image was being carried to the temple. It was mounted on an Ass adorned with garlands and gorgeous trappings...
A: Can you teach me to swim?B: Why don't you take a class instead?A: Swim classes are embarrassing.B: I suppose I...