A Lesson to Learn
A Lesson to Learn
John was the only son of a wealthy American businessman. Usually he was taken to school by the chauffeur in his father's beautiful car, before the chauffeur took John's father to his office. One evening his father told him that he had to go to the airport early the next day, so he would need the car at the time that John had to go to school. He said that John's mother, who possessed another car, would still be in bed at the time he had to leave the house .
"Well , how will I get to school if you need your car and Mummy is still in bed?" John asked. His father thought this was a good opportunity to teach him a lesson about how hard life was for the less fortunate people of the world , so he answered , "You'll go in the same way as every other child in the world goes-in a taxi. "
What's Going on Here?
PoLIcEMAN: What's going on here?
MAN: You mean, what's happening? Well, constable, I'm trying to get out of the windowand Fred here is helping me.
PoLIcEMAN: Why are you climbing through the window and not leaving by the front door?
MAN: Well , you see I can't find the key and I'm in a hurry. Come on, Fied, We'rewasting time.
POLICEMAN: Just a minute you two. I don't think you're telling me the truth. This isn't yourhouse, is it?
MAN: No, it's my brother's. I'm staying with him for a while.
PoLIcEMAN: Is he at home?
MAN: I'm afraid not. He's in jail for house-breaking at the moment.
Question on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
Todd heard all the hammering behind the Marsey's house. He went to see what was going on. Jeff Marsey was making something from long pieces of wood.
"What is it?" Todd asked.
"A pair of stilts," Jeff said.
Todd knew that stilts could make you several feet taller. Jeff was putting blocks of wood on the stilts. These were for his feet to rest on. Once you got used to them, you could walk anywhere on stilts.
"I'm also making a pair of long pants," Jeff said. "They'll come all the way down and cover the stilts. I'll look like a giant. "
As the summer went on, Todd forgot all about the stilts.
One night Todd was watching television. His cousin came running in the front door. He'd never seen her so excited.
"You'd better call the police , " she said.
"Why?" asked Todd.
"I was walking home," she said. "I looked up and saw a -a giant. He was following me. He wore big baggy pants. He was very stiff and straight. Each step was a huge step. I'm going to call the police. "
"Wait," said Todd. "It wasn't a giant. You'll be surprised when I tell you who it was!"
- 老外如何称呼妻子“我家那位”？ 阅读:140 2016-05-31
- Calling for a Wireless Connection 要求无线连接 阅读:10 2017-05-31
- How Did You Ever Get Here 阅读:28 2017-07-30
- Laundry Room Rules 洗衣房的使用规定 阅读:14 2017-11-01
- Declining Food or Drinks 拒绝食物或饮料 阅读:10 2017-05-11
- “土食者”在英语里怎么说 阅读:25 2016-02-20
- Going Home Early Because Of Being Ill 因病提前回家 阅读:12 2017-05-25
- All that glitters is not gold 阅读:19 2017-06-21
- Asking Someone to Run Errands 请某人办事 阅读:27 2017-10-16
- 傅园慧们的泳衣到底有多紧？看歪果仁试穿完，心疼三秒钟 阅读:33 2016-11-01
- Home Security During Listing 待售期间的家庭安全问题 阅读:12 2017-02-03
- 哪儿不健康，看脸就知道（双语） 阅读:28 2016-09-08
- 身为一个吃货的你，一定要知道的英文习语 阅读:44 2016-10-30
- Filling Prescription 医生填写处方 阅读:26 2017-07-02
- 英语单词快速记忆法 阅读:60 2017-05-19
- Warranty Expired 超过保修期了 阅读:38 2017-09-03
1. The Halloween celebration comes from All Hallows Day or All Saints Day, t...
1. This utterly unacceptable behaviour:我进教室，看到别人坐在我的专属座位上(没分给我是我的，但是我常坐的专属座位)...
1A: I really love the look of this car.B: Would you like to test drive this car?A: Yes, I would love to take it for a...
These days many people attend community colleges with plans to transfer to a four-year college or university to get...
说到“死胡同”，我想大家都明白是什么意思。我们常常会说“某人进了死胡同”，意即“某人前面没有出路了”，he is in a blind alley. ...
Junichi Inamoto was one of the major reasons for Japan’s journey to the second round. He even overshadowed his midfie...
Haste makes waste 拔苗助长（欲速则不达） Haste makes waste
There is inside youall of the potentialto be whatever you want to be,all of the energyto do whatever you want to do.I...
疯狂英语英语拿手好戏卡全集,精彩内容与你分享!!社交性寒暄的全面总结 1. A: How are you doing? B: I'm doing fine/OK/pretty well/GREat/super/terrific/so...
俄总理普京宣布明年参选总统，誓将志在必得，因为他和在任总统梅德韦杰夫“哥俩好”，早就说好了“总统轮流做”，但这也引得众人议论纷纷。 请看相关报道： Analysts long specu...
A: What is there to eat?B: I don't know. Look in the fridge.A: I think I'll make a sandwich.B: What kind?A: A...
1A: Were you around when the robbery happened?B: Yes, I was.A: Could you explain what you saw?B: I was in the bank at...