The Coustry Schoollhouse
The Coustry Schoollhouse
The country schooihouse was three miles from my uncle's farm. It stood in a clearing in the woods and would hold about twenty-five boys and girls. We attended the school° with more or less regularity once or twice a week in summer. We walked to it in the cool of the morning by the forest paths, and back in the dusk at the end of the day. All the pupils brought their dinners in baskets-corn dodger, buttermilk, and other good things. We sat in the shade of the trees at noon and ate them. It is the part of my education which I look back upon with the most satisfaction. My first visit to the school was
when I was seven. A strapping girl of fifteen, in the customary sunbonnet and calico dress, asked me if I "used tobacco" -meaning did I chew it. I said no. It roused her scorn. She reported me to all the crowd , and said :
"Here is a boy seven years old who can't chew tobacco. "
I learned to smoke fairly well , but that did not win over anybody. I remained a poor thing, and characterless. I longed to be respected, but I never was able to rise. Children have but little charity for one another's defect.
On a Camping Holiday
Jimmy Booth and Donald Black are on a camping holiday. They have brought only a little food with them. Jimmy is hungry and he is looking at some rice in a tin. There is only a little rice in the tin. JIMMY: There isn't much rice, is there?
DoNALD: No, there isn't, but there are some vegetables.
JIMMY: Are there any potatoes?
DONALD: No, there aren't. I'm sorry.
JIMMY: I'm very hungry, Donald. What can I eat?
DONALD: There's a little bread and there are a few biscuits.
JIMMY: But I want some rice and some meat.
DONALD: All right, I'IL walk to the village and I'll get some meat.
JiMMY: Good. By the way, who's going to cook the meat?
DoNALD: You'll cook it of course!
Question on Text B
7. Read the foilowing dialogue once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.
Peter: Hello, Jim. What was the film like?
Jim: Awful. It was a complete waste of time.
Peter: Why? What was it about?
Jim: It was about a married couple. They had to live with the wife's mother, because theydidn't have enough money to buy a house of their own.
Peter: A lot of young people have to do that.
Jim: Yes. but the husband had to work overtime three times a week, so he was always tired.
Peter: lt sounds like the story of my life.
jim: Yes, it does, doesn't it? But this man was always over-tired, and he couldn't sleep.
So he used to take two sleeping pitla every night.
Peter: I take sleeping pills sometimes.
Jim: Yes, but not two every night. Anyway, the strain was too much for him. He had anervous breakdown and had to go to hoapital.
Peter: It sounds a very depressing film.
Jim: Not really. His wife was able to find a good job as an interpreter, because she rnuldspeak French and German fluently. After a few months' work, she had a better jobthan y weher huaband. So in the end, there able to buy a house, and he didts't haveto work any more. Stupid, wasn't it?
Peter: I don't know. My wife used to speak French. I must tell her to brush it up.
- Banquet Attire 宴会礼服 阅读:17 2017-07-10
- 问完这36个问题,你可以和任何陌生人坠入爱河！ 阅读:29 2016-10-11
- 【旅游英语】我想预订一张两人桌，明天晚上9点。I'd like to book a double table at 9 p.m. tomorrow night, please. 阅读:211 2017-03-10
- 英语中除了“Good Bye”，怎么说再见？ 阅读:90 2016-06-05
- 老外卖关子，还真有一套！ 阅读:18 2016-10-12
- 我记得那美妙的一瞬英语美文：我记得那美妙的一瞬 阅读:26 2016-10-19
- 怎样用英语拒绝推销 阅读:35 2016-02-19
- Comments on the New President 新闻对新总统的评价 阅读:6 2017-03-25
- Wedding Discussion 有于婚礼的讨论 阅读:10 2017-05-09
- 英国人才懂的爱称与骂名 阅读:21 2016-10-11
- “垃圾睡眠”在英语里怎么说 阅读:33 2016-02-20
- 机场寻找行李必用的英文 阅读:47 2016-02-19
- A Lost Pen 丢失的笔 阅读:40 2017-02-10
- 看完这15个典故，瞬间长见识了！ 阅读:36 2016-09-25
- Requesting a Wake-Up Call 要求叫醒电话 阅读:7 2017-03-09
- 【双语有声阅读】Keeping a Diary for Your Health 为你的健康记日记 阅读:191 2016-11-27
- 英语单词哄人入睡"与"寿终正寝"的故事 阅读:30 2016-02-20
- “chillaxin”悠然自乐 阅读:25 2016-02-23
- Calling to Report a Medical Emergency 打电话报告医疗紧急情况 阅读:9 2017-06-01
- Getting a Taxi via the Front Desk 在酒店前台叫出租车 阅读:19 2017-02-25
- 伊索寓言·71 The Ass and the Grasshoppers 驴子与草蜢 阅读:121 2016-07-15
1. For a morning rain leave not your trip.不要因为早晨下了一场雨就不去旅行。2. When dew is on ...
Thousands of volunteers in Beijing ready to helpBEIJING -- Nearly 20,000 volunteers have been working in 200 street ...
A: Let's take the kids to the park.B: Hey, that sounds like a good idea!A: Yes, the fresh air will do them good.B...
今天我们要学习的每日一句英语是：无风不起浪英语怎么说No smoke without fire.There is no smoke without fire无风不起浪。There is no smoke without fire
A: Did you see that puddle of water on the floor?B: Yes. I called for a clean-up.A: A puddle of water is very dangero...
很多学生在课余时间或者寒暑假期间，选择到与自己专业相关的公司或者机构做短期的实习，以拿到相应的工作经验（work experience）。那么“去实习，实习期”应该怎么表述呢？ 以澳洲的学校来举例，大学里关于工...
A: What's your favorite thing to do?B: I like to watch people.A: That's your favorite thing to do?B: Well, it...
Honesty is the best policy.做人诚信为本。 Honesty is the best policy
你应该 accept一份邀请还是 except呢?你在餐后吃的是 dessert还是 desert?英语中有太多单词意思容易混淆，以下十对常用英文单词帮...
不好意思，您能告诉我哪里是…… 办理登机手续的柜台吗？ Excuse me, could you tell me where is the ...
管理并不仅仅局限于大的企业，小到一个家庭，或者一个班级，一所学校，大到整个社会，好的管理能使社会资源得到最充分的发挥！ 一、 素养蓝斯登原则：在你往上爬的时候，一定要保持梯子的整洁，否则你下来时可能会滑倒。提出者：美国管理学家蓝斯登。...
1. Buy someone's coffee.为他人买杯咖啡2. Smile.微笑3. Give what you can.尽你所能地付出4. ...
1A: I would like to make a hotel reservation.B: What day will you be arriving?A: I will be arriving on May 14th.B: Ho...
A: What is there to eat?A: 吃什么?B: I don't know. Look in the fridge.B: 不知道...
资料来源与数据查询 Internet TrafficRanking: http://www.trafficranking.com全球英语学习网站最新排名（Top15） 1. 英语城镇 (商)englishtown.com2. 英语咖啡...