How to Make Everybody Happy
How to Make Everybody Happy
Peter's uncle lived in the country. Once Peter went to stay with him for a few weeks. Whenever they went for a walk or for a drive in the car and they passed somebody, his uncle waved. Peter was surprised, and said, "Uncle George, you know everybody here. Where did you meet them all?"
"I don't know all these people , " said his uncle.
"Then why do you wave to them?" asked Peter.
"Well, Peter," answered his uncle, "when I wave to someone and he knows me, he is pleased. He continues his journey with a happier heart.
But when I wave to someone and he doesn't know me, he is surprised and says to himself `Who is that man? Why did he wave to me?' So he has something to think about during the rest of his journey, and that makes his journey seem shorter. So I make everybody happy. "
What Would You Like to Do Tonight?
Mary's cousins, Fay and Rosemary, are still at her house. The girls want to go to the movies. They look in the newspaper to see what time the movie starts. After seeing the movie, they go to an ice cream parlor and order their favorite desserts.
MARY: Girls , what would you like to do tonight?
ROSEMARY: Do you ever go to the movies?
MARY: Of course. I often go to the movies.
ROSEMARY: Well, let's go to the movies.
MARY: There's a good movie near here: "Summer in Maine"FAY: Fine. I heard it's a very good movie.
RosEMARY: Let's find out what time it starts.
MARY: Let's look at the newspaper. Movie programs are usually on page nine.
FAY: Here it is. "Summer in Maine " starts at 8 o'clock.
Questions on Text B
7.Read the following conversation once. Underline the key words while reading and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.
Fred: If I won the Pools, I'd go round the world.
Bert: Would you? I wouldn.'t.
Fred: What would you do?
Bert: Oh, I don't know. I'd buy a big house with a garden for my wife and kids, Isuppose. But it's difficult to imagine having a lot of money.
Fred: One thing's certain. If I had a lot of money, I wouldn't work any more.
Bert: Wouldn't you? What would you do with all that spare time?
Fred: As I said, I'd go round the world.
Bect: What would you do after that?
Fred: Oh, I don't know. It'd take me a long time to go round the world.
Bert: It doesn't sound very exciting.
Fred: Anyway, we haven't won the Pools, and we're not likely to win them. So thereisn't much point in talking about it, is there?
Bert: I'd be happy if I got a rise.
Fred: And my wife would be happy if I hought her a mink coat.
Bert: Well , I'm not likely to get a rise and you haven't the money for a mink oat, solet'scome down to earth and have another drink.
Fred: What'll you have?
Bert: I'll have a pint of the best.
Fred: I'd have a Scotch if I were you. We deserve it.
Bert: All right. Make it a double, will you?
- 色彩斑斓的“彩虹族” 阅读:72 2016-02-23
- 房屋英语相关对话听力2：A Nice Blue Color 好看的蓝色 阅读:44 2016-04-15
- 英语单词菜鸟和大侠的故事 阅读:70 2016-02-20
- 5种运动不仅能让你四肢发达，还能让你头脑敏捷 阅读:24 2016-10-25
- Making an Appointment for an Apartment Viewing 预约看公寓 阅读:18 2017-12-21
- 学校生活英语听力对话21：English Dictionary 英语词典 阅读:47 2016-03-19
- 实用英语口语：童年的游戏 阅读:41 2016-02-19
- 常见的Chinglish（一） 阅读:65 2016-02-19
- “非法持有枪支”怎么说 阅读:70 2016-02-29
- Ground Transportation 地面交通 阅读:18 2017-03-22
- “混血儿”用英语怎么说？ 阅读:59 2016-09-08
- 英语中“私享家”怎么说 阅读:35 2016-02-21
- Make hay while sun shines 阅读:32 2017-08-19
- 李阳疯狂英语---语法突破两百句3 阅读:21 2017-09-21
- UN Secretary-General starts China visit 阅读:28 2017-07-12
- 通过词根记单词11:col-,cor 阅读:41 2016-02-19
- 疯狂英语阅读NoMilkToday 阅读:17 2017-10-28
- 哭的英语表达 阅读:111 2016-08-30
- I Didnt Notice It 阅读:24 2017-08-02
- 教你如何一月背9000个单词！ 阅读:130 2017-03-26
- 美国人最擅长使用的的口头禅 阅读:40 2016-08-16
be a Diana 做个狄安娜；独身。 狄安娜（Diana）是罗马神话里的月亮女神和狩猎女神，相当于希腊神话里的阿耳忒弥斯（Artemis）。狄安娜的父亲是主神宙斯（Zeus），她和太阳神阿波罗（Apollo）是孪生兄...
1A: I guess that we won't be going rollerblading today with all this rain!B: Yes, rollerblading in six inches of ...
1. As luck would have it, he was caught by the teacher again. 不幸的是，他又一次被老师逮...
1、Can you babysit my family of gnomes whilst I go out to dinner tonight?1.我今晚...
1、这蛋糕真好吃，你尝点。 中式表达：This cake is so delicious, please eat a little. 地道表达1: ...
America is one of the most diversified countries in the world. It is comprised of many different cultures from Lati...
1. Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion.幸福：可观的银行...
Bad news has wings好事不出门，坏事传千里。 Bad news has wings
In U.S. cities like New York City and Los Angeles, many people live in small apartments. Despite not having homes w...
1. class: (风度、举止等)漂亮、优雅 She's got real class. 她很有气质。 2. elegance: (举止)...
A: I think you're very pretty.B: Thank you.A: Would you have dinner with me?B: I would like to.A: Can I pick you ...
1A: I'm moving out.B: Your lease isn't up yet.A: I won't be able to stay here anymore.B: That's going...
1) I didn't mean to 我不是故意的 I didn't mean to get here so late! I ove...
爱情没有终点只有永远 love never ends but lasts foreverLove never ends but lasts forever