Would You Like a Shave or a Haircut?
Would You Like a Shave or a Haircut?
A poor farmer who had always lived in the country and had never visited a big town won a lot of money, so he decided that he could now afford a holiday in an excellent hotel by the sea.
When lunch-time came on his first day there, he decided to go and eat in the restaurant of the hotel. The head waiter showed him to his table, took his order and went away. When he looked at the farmer again, he had a surprise! The farmer had tied his table napkin round his neck.
The head waiter was very annoyed at this and immediately told one of the other waiters in the restaurant to go to the man and inform him, without being in any way insulting, that people did not do such a thing in restaurants of that quality.
The waiter went to the farmer and said in a friendly voice, "Good morning, sir. Would you like a shave, or a haircut?"
What Do the Romans Do?
MR TURNBULL: When in Rome, do as the Romans do, they say.
MRs TuRNBULL: What do the Romans do?
MR TURNBULL: They live in Rome , of course , and go to work by caror bus. But sometimes it takes too long that wayl because ofthe traffic jams, so they walk.
MRS TURNBULL: In other words , the Romans do what everyone else does.
MR TURNBULL: Yes, but they do it differently. Everything is different.
MRs TURNBULL: What do you mean?
MR TURNBULL: Well, the climate's different for a start. It doesn't rain somuch as it does in England. The sun shines more often.
MRs TURNBULL: I envy them the sun.
MR TURNBULL: I know. You hate the rain, don't you?
MRs TURNBuLL: I certainly do.
MR TuRnBuLL: And a Roman really Ioves life. Eie knows how to enjoy himself.
MRs TuRNsuLL: They always eat spaghetti and drink wine, don't they?
MR TURNBULL: Not always. But they like a good meal. Lots of tourists go to Romejust for the food, you know.
MRS TURNBULL: Really? How much does it cost to fly to Rome?
MR TURNBULI: I don't know exactly, but it costs a lot oi money.
Question on Text B
7. Read the following conversation once. Underline the key words and retell to your partner the dialogue in your own words.
Mrs Smith Meets Mrs Turnbull Mrs Smith: Hello, Mrs Turnbull. How are you?
Mrs Turnbull: Fine, thanks. How's your boy, Jack?
Mrs Smith: He's a bit tired. You know, he goes to school at eight o'clock every morning.
He doesn't get home till after four. then he does his homework after tea. Itoften takes him a couple of hours to finish it.
Mrs Turnbull: Poor boy. They work hard at school nowadays, don't they? Does he like it?
Mrs Smith: School, you mean? Yes, he does. He likes his teachers, and that always makes adifference.
Mrs Turnbull: Yes, it does. Does he go to school by bus?
Mrs Smith: No, he walks. He likes walking. He meets some of his friends at the corner andthey go together.
Mrs Turnbull: What does he do when it rains?
Mrs Smith: My husband takes him in the car. He passes the school on the way to the office.
- Signing Escrow Papers 签署托管文件 阅读:26 2017-03-13
- 【双语有声阅读】 Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights Movement 罗莎·帕克斯与美国民权运动 阅读:67 2017-02-02
- 五句英语记忆法 阅读:28 2018-03-29
- 【双语有声阅读】 Fires that Changed Cities 天然气改变了城市 阅读:43 2017-01-20
- 美洲黑熊 American black bears 阅读:48 2018-01-01
- “社会公平正义”的推进 阅读:135 2016-03-03
- 英语背诵·静谧的魅力 阅读:76 2016-06-05
- 疯狂英语阅读GlobalizationOpportunitiesandChallengesforCh 阅读:36 2017-11-06
- 英语描述中国过【小年】的习俗 阅读:145 2016-10-14
- 5个简单的英语口语句子，你一个都听不懂！ 阅读:66 2016-10-13
- 什么是“杠杆女”？ 阅读:36 2016-02-23
- 莎士比亚发明的10个常用英文单词 阅读:48 2016-10-10
- 英语单词“擅离职守”怎么说 阅读:84 2016-02-26
- 5大英语学习方法 让你终身受用无穷！ 阅读:80 2016-06-05
- 实用英语口语：万用的 Do （1） 阅读:49 2016-02-19
- The Way to Keep Away Flies 阅读:46 2017-08-18
- Liu Xiang says he feels sorry, vowing to come back 阅读:51 2017-06-25
- 刷爆朋友圈的漫画：抑郁总是悄无声息的来... 阅读:61 2016-11-06
- 使用频率最高的英语对话 阅读:74 2016-07-29
- 英式英语和美式英语的最强差异点 阅读:20 2016-10-12
- 英语中“冰箱谷歌”是什么意思 阅读:46 2016-02-20
据美国驻中国大使馆发布的消息，美国副总统拜登在美新任驻华大使骆家辉的陪同下，和孙女一起来到鼓楼附近的一家炒肝店品尝北京炸酱面。拜登副总统一行5人点了5碗炸酱面，10个包子，拌黄瓜，凉拌山药，凉拌土豆丝以及可乐等。 请看相关报道： US...
A: That was a nice funeral.B: Yes, dad, it was.A: The son gave a nice speech about his father.B: It was long, too.A: ...
好学生都不是在课堂上由老师“教”出来，而是靠老师在课堂内外“导”出来的。就学习英语而言，不要把“宝”都押在课堂教学上，而要靠自学。We live in ...
A: This is a great neighborhood.B: Yes, it is.A: People are friendly.B: Yes, they are.A: The streets and sidewalks ar...
A: This is the perfect house for us!B: It has all the bedrooms we need!A: Each bedroom even has a bathroom!B: The bac...
继赴港生子之后，越来越多的中国女性开始加入到赴美生子的行列，这一现象带动了国内相关代理机构的发展。 请看相关报道： Thanks to the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution, ...
1. Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you。 麻烦没来找你，就别去自找麻烦。 第一、四个tr...
2004年1月CET作文题目 四级作文题目： 1．建议报考的专业及理由 2．报考该专业的基本条件 3．应当如何备考 A Letter in Reply to a Friend December 27th, 2003...
Character is what you know you are, not what others think you have.性格是你所了解的自己...
A: Your blood pressure is very high.B: What does high blood pressure mean?A: High blood pressure or hypertension mean...
A: Why are you taking this class?B: I need it to transfer. You?A: Me too! I would never take Speech 101 if I didn'...
通过词根记单词6:ante- ante-表示"前面，先" antedate提前写日期；先于，早于（ante+date日期→提前写日期） anterior前面的（ante+erior[…的] →前面的） antecedent（au...