Give Me a Big Box of Chocolates
Give Me a Big Box of Chocolates
John liked chocolates very much, but his mother never gave him any, because they were bad for his teeth, she thought. But .)ohn had a very nice grandfather. The old man loved his grandaon very much, and sometimes he brought John chocolates when he. came to visit him. Then his mother let him eat them, because she wanted to make the old man happy.
One evening , a few days before John's seventh birthday , he was saying his prayers in his bedroom before he went to bed. "Please, God," he shouted, "make them give me a big box of chocolates for my birthday on Saturday. "
His mother was in the kitchen, but she heard the small boy shouting and went into his bedroom quickly.
"Why are you shouting, John?" she asked her son. "God can hear you when you talk quietly. "
"I know," answered the clever boy with a smile, "but Grandfather's in the next room, and he can't. "
You Are Too Young to Buy Alcohol
Later that day, Steve told the group that he had decided to go back to Edinburgh. "I want to see the rest of the Festival, " he explained. That evening, they all went to a pub for a final drink with Steve. They left a . message for Malc : GONE TO THE WHITE HORSE. SEE YOU THERE!
Malc arrived back quite late. He went round to the pub immediately. He was feeling very pleased with himself.
BILL: How did it go, then?
MALC: Oh, fantastic! I took some really good photographs. I'm sure I shall win thatcompetition.
LIsE: Well , you'd better buy us all a drink , then !
MALC: Yes... What would you all like?
(Malc goes to the bar)I'd like four pints of best bitter... oh, and two lagers and lime.
BARMAN: ... Oh, excuse me, sir. How old are you?
MALC: Sixteen. Why?
BARMAN: Well, I'm afraid you're too young to buy alcohol. You have to be eighteen, you know.
Question on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the atory to your partner.
An artist went to a beautiful part of the country for a holiday, and stayed with a farmer. Every day he went out with his paints and his brushes and painted from morning to evening, and then when it got dark, he went back to the farm and had a good dinner before he went to bed.
At the end of his holiday he wanted to pay the farmer, but the farmer said, "No, I do not want money - but give me one of your pictures. What is money? In a week it will all be finished, but your painting will still be here. "
The artist was very pleased and thanked the farmer for saying such kind things about his paintings.
The farmer smiled and answered, "It is not that. I have a son in London. He wanta to become an artist. When he comes here next month, I will show him your picture, and then he will not want to be an artist any more, I think. "
- 【双语有声阅读】The La Brea Tar Pits 拉布雷亚沥青坑 阅读:26 2016-10-26
- 【旅游英语】办理登机手续和登机 1 出发步骤 Departure processes 阅读:91 2017-01-22
- 【旅游英语】问路、买票&坐车 4 伦敦的交通和各种交通卡 London transportation& transportation card。 阅读:195 2017-02-22
- Ceiling Fans Ceiling Fans 阅读:29 2017-06-23
- 开车实用英语 阅读:66 2016-02-19
- 【双语有声阅读】Casey Anthony: America''s Most Hated Woman 美国人最讨厌女人 阅读:48 2016-11-21
- 【双语有声阅读】Bride and Groom Traditions 新娘新郎的传统习俗 阅读:117 2016-12-31
- 英语中“wave and pay”的意思 阅读:64 2016-02-20
- Beijing Olympic Games come to end 阅读:32 2017-06-28
- 热点英语单词：“floor vote”全院表决 阅读:38 2016-02-27
- “microvisit”微访 阅读:32 2016-02-23
- 工作环境中人际关系常用英语口语 阅读:66 2016-01-11
- Buying Business Cards 买名片 阅读:28 2017-09-17
- Choosing an Occupation 阅读:10 2017-12-11
- 还有比这更让人感动的英语吗？ 阅读:22 2016-10-08
- 10个口语句子，句句都能炫出你的好英文！ 阅读:28 2016-10-17
- 英文电影里那些充满哲理的句子 阅读:30 2016-10-07
- 关于理财的日常英语 阅读:222 2016-01-11
- 想挂断电话，英文该怎么说？ 阅读:45 2016-06-05
- “海鸥经理”在英语里怎么说 阅读:84 2016-02-20
- Reduced Payments 减少支付 阅读:12 2017-08-09
A: Hi, I need assistance, please.B: How can I help you today?A: My phone refuses to turn on anymore.B: It looks like ...
日前，中共中央决定免去王立军的重庆市副市长职务，现正在按程序办理。 请看《中国日报》的报道： The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has decide...
用英文向女孩子表达爱意，不是只有“i love you”。大家知道怎样用英语来表达你很喜欢一个女孩子呢? 如何讲一些让女孩子感动的话呢? 快来看看吧! ...
1. Stop complaining! 别发牢骚! 2. You make me sick! 你真让我恶心! 3. What’s wrong wi...
Teachers are like the candles, which consume themselves to brighten the lives...
You know, you know, we started this GREat effort on a sunny July morning in Pinders Corner on Pat and Liz Moynihan's ...
1A: Thank you for purchasing your new mattress with us.B: No, thank you.A: Would you like us to deliver the mattress ...
Every August and September, the Los Angeles County Fair takes center stage at the Fairplex facility in Pomona, Cali...
Fact speak louder than words.事实胜于雄辩。 Fact speak louder than words
形容某人“能干”怎么说，“真了不起”怎么说，比其他人“略胜一筹”怎么说？ 下面就来告诉你。 1. 略胜一筹 be a notch above Be a notch...
1A: Can I help you find something?B: I would like to buy a new fridge.A: Is there one in particular that you like?B: ...