What a Mess!
What a Mess!
Bill Lane has just touched some wet paint.
You mustn't touch the wet paint, Bill.
I'm sorry. I won't do it again.
Try to be more careful in future.
I shall. I wasn't as careless as John Sampson. He walked across that wet cementover there.
The workmen oughtn't to leave it without a no tice.
The headmaster asked them not to do so.
Then why isn't there a notice?
They went to their stores to get one. Here they come with it now!
But look at them! They've forgotten about the wet cement and they're walkingacross it to put up the notice!
A Tall and Slim Girl
At five feet six inches , Rosa was taller than every other student in the sixth grade. She worried about this alt the time, in school and at home. Her mother told her to stand up straight and be proud that she was so tall and slim.
"Someday , " her mother said , "you'11 be happy that you're tall. "
This made Rosa happier, but she was still afraid her classmates were making fun of her behind her back. One day , all this changed when Mr Ransom, the coach from the youth club , asked Rosa to play center on their basketball team. He said that Rosa was a good ball player and her height would make her valuable as center. Now, she really was proud to be tall. She was someone special.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell tbe story to your partner.
Better Be a Stupid Man
It was a beautiful spring morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the sun was warm but not too hot . so Mr Andrews was surprised when saw an old gentleman at the bus-stop with a big, strong black umbrella i' his hand.
Mr Andrews said to him, "Are we going to have rain today, do you think?"
"No , " said the old gentleman , "I don't think so. "
"Then are you carrying the umbrella to keep the sun off you?"
"No, the sun is not very hot in spring. "
Mr Andrews looked at the big umbrella again, and the gentleman said, "I am an old man, and my legs are not very strong, so I really need a walk- ing-stick. But when I carry a walking-stick, people say, `Look at that poor old man' , and I don't like that. When I carry an umbrella in fine weatber, people only say, `Look at that stupid man'. "
- 看看英“电眼”怎么说 阅读:70 2016-02-19
- 女人的32个小秘密，想知道吗？ 阅读:40 2016-10-15
- 教你看美剧学英语，值得收藏！ 阅读:46 2016-10-11
- 如何用英语形容美女懂事、孝顺、有气质？ 阅读:68 2016-10-13
- 什么是“An arm and a leg”？ 阅读:103 2016-02-19
- 英语学习的捷径，还真的有哎！ 阅读:53 2016-09-14
- 学校生活英语听力对话21：English Dictionary 英语词典 阅读:62 2016-03-19
- Choosing a Good Restaurant 选择一家好的餐厅 阅读:15 2017-03-05
- “犯罪嫌疑人”怎么说？ 阅读:156 2016-03-02
- Lunch 午餐 阅读:27 2017-08-14
- Meeting Teacher at School 在学校和老师见面 阅读:25 2016-12-18
- 我们经常会说错的60个英语句子 阅读:39 2016-10-18
- 疯狂英语拿手好戏六男女之间―永恒的主题 阅读:46 2017-10-10
- 用英语安慰别人怎么说 阅读:541 2016-02-11
- A Comic Book 漫画书 阅读:16 2017-02-06
- Using Coupons 使用优惠券 阅读:19 2018-02-05
Vocabulary Learning Tip One: Read, Read, Read! Most vocabulary words are learned from context. The more words you"re ...
1. There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaug...
He can’t come to the phone now.他现在不能接电话。I apologize on behalf of him.我替他道歉。Th...
These flowers are a small token of my love for you.这些花朵象征我对你的爱。I have just th...
A: Don't ride your bike unless you're wearing a helmet!B: I don't like helmets. They mess up my hair!A: I...
What do you mean today's our anniversary?啊?今天是我们结婚纪念日?Can we not talk to ...
当别人以为你开玩笑时你知道该如何应对吗? 这一次我们就来谈谈在开玩笑时要如何作出适当地回应。 1. I am serious. 我是认真的。 如果别人说Are you kidding me? 最好的回答就是 No, I am not ...
A: Will you go out with me?B: I think I'll pass.A: Why are you rejecting me?B: You just want to date me because I...
1. Hi， there! 嗨，哈罗! 2.How are you doing? I can’t complain too much.你好吗?我不能...
通过词根记单词15:dia-,dif- dia-表示"穿过，二者之间" dialogue对话（dia+logue话→对着说话） diameter直径（dia+meter测量→对着测量〔圆〕直径） diaphanous透明的；精致...
在英语中有些名词可以加"'s"来表示所有关系，带这种词尾的名词形式称为该名词的所有格，如：a teacher's book。名词所有格的规则如下： 1） 单数名词词尾加 "'s"，复数名词...
A: Now that you have your beverages, can I offer you some appetizers?B: Yes, that sounds good. What do you have?A: We...
A: May I turn in my homework tomorrow?B: It's due today.A: I know, but I don't have it right now.B: How come?...