What a Mess!
What a Mess!
Bill Lane has just touched some wet paint.
You mustn't touch the wet paint, Bill.
I'm sorry. I won't do it again.
Try to be more careful in future.
I shall. I wasn't as careless as John Sampson. He walked across that wet cementover there.
The workmen oughtn't to leave it without a no tice.
The headmaster asked them not to do so.
Then why isn't there a notice?
They went to their stores to get one. Here they come with it now!
But look at them! They've forgotten about the wet cement and they're walkingacross it to put up the notice!
A Tall and Slim Girl
At five feet six inches , Rosa was taller than every other student in the sixth grade. She worried about this alt the time, in school and at home. Her mother told her to stand up straight and be proud that she was so tall and slim.
"Someday , " her mother said , "you'11 be happy that you're tall. "
This made Rosa happier, but she was still afraid her classmates were making fun of her behind her back. One day , all this changed when Mr Ransom, the coach from the youth club , asked Rosa to play center on their basketball team. He said that Rosa was a good ball player and her height would make her valuable as center. Now, she really was proud to be tall. She was someone special.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell tbe story to your partner.
Better Be a Stupid Man
It was a beautiful spring morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the sun was warm but not too hot . so Mr Andrews was surprised when saw an old gentleman at the bus-stop with a big, strong black umbrella i' his hand.
Mr Andrews said to him, "Are we going to have rain today, do you think?"
"No , " said the old gentleman , "I don't think so. "
"Then are you carrying the umbrella to keep the sun off you?"
"No, the sun is not very hot in spring. "
Mr Andrews looked at the big umbrella again, and the gentleman said, "I am an old man, and my legs are not very strong, so I really need a walk- ing-stick. But when I carry a walking-stick, people say, `Look at that poor old man' , and I don't like that. When I carry an umbrella in fine weatber, people only say, `Look at that stupid man'. "
- Health Club Membership 健康俱乐部的会员 阅读:22 2017-04-04
- 这些浪漫的英文，太有才了！ 阅读:120 2016-10-01
- Calling to Report a Cockroach Problem 1 打电话报告蟑螂问题 1 阅读:11 2017-03-06
- 世界上最美的十句英文，都是爱！ 阅读:46 2016-08-30
- 疯狂英语拿手好戏卡10 阅读:21 2017-09-21
- “神一般的男人”——埃隆·马斯克的开挂人生 阅读:22 2016-11-02
- IMF总裁涉嫌对酒店女佣“性侵犯”被拘留 阅读:16 2016-02-25
- 热点英语单词：“未富先老”怎么说 阅读:28 2016-02-26
- A mothers love never changes 阅读:29 2017-06-19
- 看电影提高英语水平，只需这三步！ 阅读:30 2016-09-29
- “真差劲”英语怎么说 阅读:176 2016-02-19
- Sports 运动 阅读:5 2017-01-11
- “跑酷”也称为“移动的艺术” 阅读:78 2016-02-23
- 做饭靠厨艺，吃饭动脑筋 阅读:26 2016-10-22
- 当熊孩子们一言不合就飙泪时，他们到底在想什么？ 阅读:56 2016-10-30
- 如何通过上下文猜词义 阅读:34 2017-03-20
- 15个英语寒暄用语，你一定用得上！ 阅读:44 2016-08-24
- Making an Appointment 安排预约 阅读:43 2016-12-27
- Normal Test Results 测试结果正常 阅读:9 2017-05-30
- 疯狂英语拿手好戏卡14 阅读:11 2017-09-20
- 《大圣归来》主题曲《从前的我》英文翻唱，感动到哭！ 阅读:64 2016-09-14
甜言蜜语使你无往不利无坚不摧1. You did a fine /good /GREat job.2. You've done a wonderful job. Well done! Well done!3. That's GREat...
Barn 谷仓 barn指“农村存放谷物用的仓库”，美国还常指“牲口棚”。这个仅有四个字母的词在古英语中则写作bereoern：bere意思是barely（大麦），oern即place（地方），因此，barn原来的字面...
Come 差不多是我们开始学英语时就学到的词，有关come 的妙用我们也曾经介绍一二。今天再给大家来介绍几个关于come 的片语。 1. Come on to 对……轻薄；吃豆腐 虽说世界上正人君子还是占多...
Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated by many people in the United States and Canada. In the United States it is cel...
经济复苏缓慢、失业率高居不下和债务危机蔓延的危险，让美国国会山再次选择从海外寻找“替罪羊”，而人民币汇率问题再次成为美国针对的焦点。 请看《中国日报》的报道： More importantly, the esc...
1、 Abstemious, Arsenious and Facetious这三个词(节俭的、含砷的、玩笑的)中依次按顺序包含了所有的元音字母：a, e,...
英语口语中有许多常用的小句子，简短又地道，这次我们就为大家收集了一些最常用的表达，千万不要错过哦！ 1. After you. 你先请。 这是一句很常用的客套话，在进／出门、上车的场合你都可以表现一下。 2. I just could...
A: Are you having dinner with us tonight?B: Yes I am. I'll be out of work soon.A: Okay, I'm thinking of the P...
经常在网上聊天的人肯定知道不少网络缩略语和表情符号，比如：LOL（laugh out loud）、ASAP（as soon as possible）等。这...
A: Dad, I don't have my own car.B: Your mom and I talked to you about this.A: I wasn't paying attention.B: We...
今天的每日一句英语，我们要来学习一个英语笑话：See You as Soon as You Open!A bar owner locked up his ...
A: Hello, Mr. Rogers. How are you today?B: I'm doing well, Wendy. How are you?A: I'm great, thanks. So are yo...
A: Can you teach me to swim?B: Why don't you take a class instead?A: Swim classes are embarrassing.B: I suppose I...