But the Chinese Did !
But the Chinese Did !
One day Tom said to one of his friends, "I'm going to have a holiday in Peking. But I don't speak Chinese, so I'll go to evening classes and have Chinese lessons for a month before I go."
He studied very hard for a month, and then his holidays began and he went to China.
When he came back a few weeks later, his friend said to him, "Did you have any trouble with your Chinese when you were in Peking , Tom?"
"No, I didn't have any trouble with it," answered Tom. "But the Chinese did !"
At the Birthday Party
MRs Ross: Welcome, Peter. Give me your coat and hat.
PETER: Thank you, Mrs Ross.
MRs Ross: The boys and girls are in the living room. Wait, I'll call John.
* * *JOHN: Hi, Peter. Why are you late?
PETER: My mother made me dress up.
JOHN: That's good. Alice has some pretty friends.
PETER: You know I don't like girls.
* * *PETER: Happy birthday, Alice. Many happy returns of the day. Here's a present for you.
ALIcE: Thank you, Peter. Come into the dining room. I'm going to cut the cake soon.
JOHN: Have some sandwiches , Peter.
PETER: Thanks. John. who's that girl?
JOHN: That's Joan. She's pretty, isn't she? She likes to dance. Ask her to dance.
PETER: Well , I don't know.
JOHN: Don't be afraid. She isn't going to bite you.
PETER: Who's afraid? I'm not afraid.
* * *PETER: Would you like to dance, Joan?
JOAN: Yes , Thank you. I'd like to dance very much.
Questions on Text B
7. Read the following passage once. Underline the key words while reading and retell the story to your partner.
If you are in a hurry and you want to have a quick meal there is no better place than a self-service restaurant. You go into the restaurant, pick up a tray, knife, fork, and spoon and queue at a counter where the food is on display. You pick out what you want and put it on your tray, which you have to push along a special rack till you reach the cashier. The cashier will give you your bill. After paying, you take your tray to any table you like. You can sit alone or with another customer. You can have a good meal in ten minutes. And-as there is no waiter you don't have to give a tip.
- 【双语有声阅读】 Driving in the United States 在美国开车 阅读:31 2017-02-08
- Cleanroom Guangzhou Committee Bonding With Local Cleanroom Enterprises 阅读:141 2017-04-24
- 英语中有哪些形形色色的man 阅读:43 2016-10-20
- 疯狂英语阅读The Making of Catwoman 阅读:26 2017-09-04
- movie trailer“电影预告片” 阅读:39 2016-02-29
- 最怕听到这样的英语开场白！ 阅读:49 2016-09-11
- Lightning and Thunder 闪电和雷鸣 阅读:7 2017-03-09
- 4个英语口语练习方法，说到你心坎儿里了！ 阅读:36 2016-10-02
- 让人心碎一地的情诗：但是你没有 But You Didn't. 阅读:495 2016-10-06
- 【语音版】你是不是要等到身材走形了才会去锻炼？ 阅读:48 2016-10-25
- 你知道什么是“橡皮人”吗？ 阅读:29 2016-02-22
- 美国人说话时最喜欢用的10个形容词 阅读:58 2016-06-12
- 英语中Come的运用（二） 阅读:38 2016-02-19
- 【旅游英语】问路、买票&坐车 10 请问，9号站台在哪里？ Excuse me, where is the platform 9? 阅读:74 2017-02-28
- Preparing for a Job Interview 工作面试的准备 阅读:25 2017-05-10
- 英文“weeder course”什么意思？ 阅读:71 2016-02-23
Taxes are special fees charged by a government on the people who live in a country, state or city. These fees help ...
A: I am a nurse.我是一名护士。B: Why didn't you want to become a doctor?你为什么不想做医生呢？A: Doctors have to go to school longe...
爱屋及乌 Love me, love my dog. 百闻不如一见 Seeing is believing. 比上不足比下有余 worse off ...
1. Small beer酒量有限，啤酒就来一小杯? 想要小酌一下的吃货们，可别打错了算盘。Small beer就算是要和啤酒扯上关系，意思也是“淡啤酒”...
News Spotlight Politics The 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan, has died at the age of 93. Reagan...
又是周一了，睁开眼睛、从床上爬起来是不是很困难啊？不管怎样都得上班。这个起床的经历可是够痛苦的。叫别人起床也是一样的痛苦。不信？就来看一看吧！ A: Wake up, Joe. It's seven o'clock. If you'r...
A: Well, we have a new president.B: But we have the same old problems.A: Well, he's made a few changes.B: Like wh...
The love world is big, which can hold hundreds of disappointments;the love wo...
When You are Old当你年老时by W.B YEATS叶芝When you are old and grey and full of slee...
1、yes Yes这个词是最标准的肯定回答了，也是大家最常用的，yes起源于古英语中的gēse， gīse这个词组，表示的是“也许如此”的意思。 2、...
A Wild Boar was sharpening his tusks busily against the stump of a tree, when a Fox happened by. Now the Fox was alwa...
1、懂事 人们经常会把这句话翻译成 “know things.” 这是字面上的翻译，没错，但是含义上的偏差很大。 懂事这个概念很难在美语中直接翻译。它...
A: Hello, neighbor. How are you today?B: I'm fine. How are you?A: I'm doing alright. I was wondering if I cou...